Surviving the 5th wave | Teen Ink

Surviving the 5th wave

By SBFoxGirl BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
SBFoxGirl BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

Nobody was planning for this. It all happened so fast. People started turning against each other, bombs dropped out of the blue, tsunamis destroyed cities, Viruses took over, the power went out, We had no clue when it would all stop. When everything was gone? When everyone was dead?  

Chapter 1: Jayden Blue

Jayden watched as his mother slowly died in his arms. They had already lost their father due to the blood plague or red death as some people in their neighborhood called it. Sadly, there mother had caught the terrible disease as well. This disease causes a person to literally bleed from every hole in your body. People would cry or even sweat blood. It literally was, as people in England say, ‘Bloody hell’.
Blood dripped down from his mother's eye and he slowly wiped it away. He didn’t know what else to do with the blood on his hand so he wiped it on his clothing. It wasn’t like it wasn’t dirty anyways so it didn’t quite matter that it got any dirtier. He had been taking care of his mother as much as he could while his brother, John, would go out and scavenge for food for the three of them.
“Don’t leave us mom… Father’s already gone and we can’t lose you too” Jayden whispered, on the verge of tears. Losing two parents in one week was hard, especially when they both died due to the same disease. Usually in the disease the person who has it would go crazy and yell strange things close to death. That's what happened to their father, he yelled at the two boys, John and Jayden, for no reason at all. His father even got to the point where he started to beat them both. They ended up having to lock him in a room so he would stop abusing the two sons. Their mother was against it but deep down in her heart, she knew it had to be done. They had found his body later, blood was all over the walls and carpet. The brothers mother had cried for hours that day. She cried the tears of blood as they buried their father. John stayed silent, but Jayden couldn’t help but cry. 
“Mother, what should we do?” John asked beside Jayden. John was gently holding his mother's hand, squeezing it reassuringly. Both of the boys faces were pale and tears threatened to fall in each of their eyes.
“Stay away from them” Their mother whispered hoarsely, “Kill them, Kill them all. Don’t let any human get hurt, do as much as you can to help the world in it’s condition”. Jayden watched as his mother slowly reached up to wipe a tear that slid down Jayden's cheek.  “Do me a favor Jayden….Bury me next to your father” She whispered. Her hand slowly fell from Jayden’s cheek and fell to her stomach. Her body went limp and she blankly stared up at the ceiling.
“NO! NO! NOO!!!!” Jayden screamed.

He woke up from his dream, bursting upwards and looked around, finding himself in the woods. He looked over seeing his brother, John. John had black hair and dark eyes, a lot of girls liked him, but he mostly liked this one girl from his high school he went to, which seemed like forever ago. Him and the girl were the best of friends though and he was terrified that she wouldn’t like him back. Drama Drama Drama. “You alright Jayden?” John asked with a raised eyebrow. Jayden was always jealous he could do that.
“I think so” Jayden said and nodded. Jayden was almost the exact opposite of John. He had bright blood red hair and grayish blue cloudy eyes. People in his school actually thought he was blind at one point since some blind people have cloudy eyes. “Why do you ask?” Jayden asked, looking up at John.
“Just the fact that you were screaming like Luke Skywalker when Darth Vader spills the beans about being his father. Anyways, we’re running low on food and we need more supplies. We might have to move camp sites because of your screaming” John said, leaning against the tree, “Also I think there is a neighborhood right around here somewhere” He added as if an afterthought.
“Sorry” Jayden said and got up. John shrugged and looked at their fire they had had last night. It was nothing but a few logs and some ashes now though. “Catch” John said and tossed his bookbag towards Jayden. Jayden quickly caught it and put it on his shoulders. John put his own backpack on and grabbed one of their M16’s that were leaning against the tree. “I loaded them up with new clips when I woke up.” John said and handed Jayden a gun.
Jayden grabbed it and nodded, “How long were you up?” Jayden asked out of curiosity. John was always the early bird in their family. He would always wake up and make breakfast then go outside to meet up with his friend.
“Meh about an hour or so ago” John said and started to walk down a pathway they had walked down before. “By the way, what were you dreaming about last night? If you don’t mind me asking… I was gonna wake you up but I was scared you’d might jump up and punch me in the face” John said. Jayden had done it before too. John tried to wake him up to take him outside to see the sunrise and Jayden quickly sat up and punch John right in the jaw.
“Oh… I had a dream about mom again, no big deal really” Jayden said and shrugged, hoping John wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. “Again?! That's like the third time this month!” John said and looked at Jayden. There was a look on his face that Jayden couldn’t identify. “Yeah…” Jayden sighed, “Again”. 

“We should split up again, we may be able to find more supplies and such that way. Then whoever has the most supplies we go that way for tomorrow to see if there is anymore” John said, this was their everyday schedule. They would pick an area clean and move on. They haven’t seen many people ever since they went to a military base up north to get weapons.
“Okay, I’ll go East and you go West?” Jayden asked as he slipped on his barf colored backpack. It wasn’t his favorite and it had a weird smell to it, he had found it off one of the dead guys they saw back on a highway when they were traveling to a new area. Jayden couldn’t tell if the person had died from the blood plague or a bullet wound and he didn’t want to look.
“That sounds good” John said and nodded. He lit up a cigarette and placed it in his mouth. It was kinda rare for John to be smoking, he didn’t do it much either. Before this all went gone he mostly smoked as a social habit then a real habit. He did it to act cool in Highschool.
“Okay, Well….Catch ya later bro” Jayden said and waved goodbye. He turned around and walked towards the clearing him and John had camped in. He looked around the woods for anybody and as he did so he couldn’t help but think of before this all went down. The end of the world for him was a bad grade, or friends ditching him, rumors, losing a football game. He never did think that the end of the world was actually coming.

Jayden sighed and started to whistle a tone as he walked. It annoyed John when he whistled because he’d ‘track to much attention’ but honestly it sounded like a bird when he whistled, so he didn’t think it was such a ‘big deal’. The tone was a lullaby his mother had sang to him when he was just a little kid. Well he sang to both of them, and his little sister.Their little sister was taken from them by the yellow buses. Now they have to go and get her back. They didn’t let anyone else on the buses beside kids so that bumped out Jayden and his brother automatically. They were teens; Jayden was sixteen and John was seventeen, his birthday was coming up soon too.

Jayden continued walking until he tripped over something and fell on his hands and knees. He looked behind him expecting there to be a tree root there, he happened to trip on tree roots sometimes when he wasn’t paying attention. When he saw what was behind him his heart almost stopped. He quickly jumped up and looked down at…. A girl?!

Want more? Go ahead to my page and check out my book about this article! 

Fangirl said...
Fangirl, Edmond, Oklahoma
Oh my gosh!! I have to read the rest!

SBFoxGirl BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
Sorry my fam took my computer.....

SBFoxGirl BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
hey guuuuuuuys?