To kill a mocking bird -Boo's diary | Teen Ink

To kill a mocking bird -Boo's diary

March 27, 2015
By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
53 articles 0 photos 9 comments

4/January/1930
Dear Diary,
Today, I was not going to write in my diary, as I was very tired. I laid down on my fluffy soft bed, wondering if I would ever see cute Jem and Scout again.I am was mad at my brother because he cemented the hole in the tree on purpose, to stop me communicating with them. However, I was very excited and happy when they had taken my secret presents from the hole in the tree and enjoyed them. I also spent lots of time carving and remembering their faces as I carved the soap. When I was getting ready to close my eyes, I smelled something. I woke up instantly and looked in the kitchen to see if something was burning. However, nothing was and my eyes gradually turned towards the window. My white curtains were somewhat pink through the strong light from other neighbour’s house. I was just going to ignore it as I thought they were having a party but I heard some children speaking. I had to open the curtain a little bit to see what was going on outside. As soon as I looked outside, my jaw almost fell to the ground. Miss Maudie’s house was burning! I remembered her as a quiet and nice lady, so I felt very sorry for her. However, I saw bunch of other people standing outside and trying to stop the fire by pouring water and trying to save her gorgeous furnitures. There were so many people; I saw Jem and Scout with their father helping to put out the fire. Through the open window, the wind blew, chilling me. I shivered, wondering if Scout and Jem were feeling cold too. Suddenly, my brother, Nathan, came and told me to stay in my room. He explained how stupid Miss Maudie started a fire in her house by keeping the stove fire going  overnight to keep her potted plants warm. After Nathan explained about the fire,he said he would go to sleep. Within five minutes, the light in Nathan’s room was off . I picked up my best and warmest blanket and checked outside again. Jem and Scout’s father, Atticus was busy talking and helping Miss Maudie.  However, Jem was not paying attention as he was in awe of the power of the fire. Also, Scout was half sleeping and no one was beside or near her. So I sneaked out quickly and covered Scout’s cold body with my warm and soft blanket.  Soon, the event was over and they all went back to their house to continue sleeping. I was very happy to possibly give my last present to Scout. When she wakes up tomorrow, she will wonder where the blanket is from. Today was the most valuable day in my life, as I took courage to step outside and expressed my desire to communicate with the children who were very scared of me. I hope this cold weather will stop soon, and I can go and see them face to face someday and tell them that I appreciate them very much.