OHSHC Fiction | Teen Ink

OHSHC Fiction

By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

I had finally finished my homework for the day. I breathed a sigh of relief and felt sleep tugging at my eyelids. It was late and most of the students had already gone to bed.

I lifted my gaze from my books to the chalkboard in front of me. I preferred to work in an empty classroom as opposed to a noisy library full of giggling girls and guffawing guys.

The sun had set several hours ago and the room was hidden in shadow. I had worked by moonlight without even knowing. I closed my eyes and leaned back against the wooden chair. I looked with disgust at my cluttered desk, realizing that I would have to clean it up quickly and leave.

I reached for a book at the corner of my desk.

I gasped when another hand slammed on top of it. I followed the hand’s fingers with my eyes up to the arm, the shoulder, and finally the face.

I scowled. It was one of them. It was one of the Host Club.

I recognized him immediately as the “strong, silent one”.

Takeshi Morinuzuka.

I erased the scowl off my face and replaced it with a smile. “Hello, Mori-Senpai,” I said sweetly. “What are you doing up so late?”

As usual, he simply grunted. There was a long and awkward silence before he spoke.

“I need you to come with me,” he said. I raised an eyebrow.

“Where?” I asked.

Mori simply walked away, knowing arrogantly that I’d follow out of curiosity. Of course, he was right. I took off after him.

He led me to Music Room #3. It was where the Host Club did their business every day. I sighed.

I never went there. I had no reason to. I thought that what they did was ridiculous and a waste of time. I had never told them. I didn’t want to hurt them. I knew how sensitive they were about it. The only reason I ever went near the place was because of my old friend.

Haruhi Fujioka.

I had kept her secret along with the Host Club. Only a select few of us knew that he was a she. She told me that she was in their debt for breaking an 8 million Yen vase. Well, that’s Haruhi for you.

I opened the door and went inside.

I’ve always heard the other girls chatting excitedly about how the inside was different every day. There was always a theme. Sometimes the boys were dressed as noble samurai, sometimes they were foreign princes, sometimes they were just clowns.

But tonight, there was no theme. They were probably cleaning up and preparing for the next day. The room looked normal and like every other room in the school.

The Host Club was there, waiting for me.

“Please,” Tamaki, the leader, said. “Have a seat.” He smiled charmingly. I had no choice but to be polite and return the smile.

I took a seat and looked around frantically for Haruhi. Had she planned this?

I found her standing awkwardly beside the twins, Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin. They smirked mischievously. I screamed internally. What did they want with me?

Haruhi looked away, embarrassed. I understood her pain. She was the only person I knew who could put up with people like the Host Club boys.

Kyoya Ootori, the severe young man with a cold glare smiled. He adjusted his glasses and sat down opposite me on a sofa.

“We know you know,” he said mysteriously.

“What?” I said, utterly confused. “What do you know I know?”

Mitskuni Hanninozuka spoke up, his arms wrapped around his stuffed bunny, Usa-chan.

“You know that Haruhi’s a girl, silly!” he laughed.

I winced. Haruhi hadn’t told them about me? I appreciated it greatly.

“Yes, I’ve always known that,” I said calmly.

Haruhi sighed and stepped forward. “She’s been my friend ever since I can remember, guys. Of course she knows I’m a girl.”

Kyoya’s gaze was unnerving. “But will she keep the secret?”

Haruhi snapped, “She’s kept it for this long! What makes you think she’s going to suddenly go around telling people?”

Hikaru and Kaoru stepped forward and stood behind Haruhi, grinning devilishly.

“Maybe-“ Hikaru began.

“-we should induce amnesia!” Kaoru finished. He then proceeded to take out a large baseball bat from behind a cushion on the sofa. He waved it threateningly in my face.

Tamaki grabbed the bat and flung it far away. “This is no way to treat a lady!” he screeched.

Kyoya took advantage of the distraction and leaned forward slightly. His voice was dangerously low and threatening.

“You do know that my family owns a huge company here? It would take little effort for me to plunge you and your reputation into unfathomable misery.” He smiled. “Not that I ever would. It’s just a precaution I’m willing to take if you start a little rumor about this. Are we clear?”

I felt my mouth switch uncomfortably. I nodded despite myself. He had clearly threatened me!

After a little while of making more promises and assurances, they let me leave. I was just outside the room when I heard Haruhi call after me.

“I’m sorry about all that,” she said. “I told them to leave you alone. I know you’d never tell anyone.”

“Apparently, they didn’t believe that,” I said, forcing a smile.

“Yeah, they’re like that sometimes.” She said, her expression suddenly sour.

Soon, we were laughing about the Host Club and their impulsive leader, their silent bodyguard, their loli boy, their troublesome twins, and their calculating vice president.

The more we made fun of them, the more we seemed to admire them.