Together Again | Teen Ink

Together Again

By MeulinLeijon BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
MeulinLeijon BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Liam walked in to the jewelry store. He frowned as he browsed, not finding anything he was looking for. "Hello sir! Do you need help with anything?" a young lady inquired. "Ah yes! Can you show me your best engagement rings?" Liam asked.

"Of course! Follow me." the lady smiled. "These are the best we have." the woman said showing Liam a variety of rings. One stood out. The diamond glistened and shone brighter than the others.

"Ill take this one." Liam said as he took out his wallet. The woman gave Liam the ring after he paid for it. He made sure to stop by the florist to pick up a bouquet of red roses.

Liam couldn't wait to see Brooke. He was finally going to propose to the woman he loved.

Liam drove to his house and waited inside patiently. Brooke would arrive any minute now.

Brooke never liked going to really fancy places. Her idea of a perfect date was staying at home and having a simple dinner. She hated when Liam spent a lot of money on her.

Liam glanced at his watch anxiously. He began to wonder if she forgot about their date. A familiar sound rung. Liam got his phone out hurriedly thinking it was Brooke.

"Hello?" he answered cheerfully.

"Hello. Is this Liam Payne?" a stern voice asked.

"Yes. Who is this?" Liam questioned. The man on the other line took a long pause before answering. "I am Dr.Williams. Your girlfriend Brooke Cowell was diagnosed with terminal cancer 6 months ago." Liam felt his heart drop at the news. "She begged us to not tell anyone. Yesterday, she came over stating she was having a severe pain. Mr. Payne...Brooke Cowell has just passed away. I'm very sorry." The doctor told Liam. His knees began to feel weak.

"W-Where is she?" Liam asked, his voice trembling. The doctor told him the location and he drove over there immediately. Brooke's lifeless body lay before his eyes. She was cold and pale. He stared at her without saying a word. Liam blinked away his tears.

"She didn’t want to tell you because she knew how you’d react. She wanted to enjoy her last days with you. I’m very sorry Mr. Payne." Dr.Williams said as he placed his hand on Liam's shoulder. Liam took one last look at Brooke, tears welling up in his eyes. He walked out of the building and went back home. His friend Niall was waiting for him outside of his house.

"I heard about Brooke. I'm sorry man." Niall said, attempting to comfort him.

"Apologizing isn't going to bring her back." Liam stated coldly. He walked into his house with Niall behind. Liam locked himself in his room. He didn't want to be seen at a moment like this. He sat on the edge of his bed gazeing at a picture of his girlfriend. A single tear cascading his cheek. "Why? Why you?” Liam asked.

Liam remembered the last time he saw Brooke. He could still hear her sweet voice... He could still see her beautiful brown eyes. "We could've worked through this together..." Liam thought out loud. Tears were now streaming down his face uncontrollably. Liam shut his eyes tightly taking a shaky breathe.

"Liam! Don't you dare!" Brooke giggled backing away.

"Oh…I dare." Liam said with a mischievous smile. He threw flour at Brooke's face and darted away.

"LIAM JAMES PAYNE I WARNED YOU!" Brooke shouted chasing after her boyfriend. Brooke wandered around the house looking for Liam. Brooke peeked her head into her boyfriend’s room. She walked in and looked around. Liam was hiding behind the door. When she came close he grabbed her waist which caused her to let out a loud scream. "Liam!! Don't scare me like that!" Brooke pouted. Liam laughed and pulled her in for a hug. Brooke pushed Liam away playfully. "Let's finish baking that cake! But this time we put the ingredients inside the bowl not on me ok?" Brooke told Liam.

"Fine..." he chuckled.

Someone knocked on Liam's door causing him to snap back into reality.

"Go away." he ordered sternly.

"Liam..." Niall began.

"Go away!" Liam repeated, raising his voice. He could hear a frustrated sigh from outside the door. Liam covered his face with his hands. Thoughts, images, memories, all flooded into his mind. Liam thought about living without Brooke. If he only knew...he wouldn't have waited so long...He would've shown Brooke how much he loved her. Brooke was his everything. Liam fiddled with the wedding ring that would've been placed on Brooke's dainty finger.

Hours went by torturously slow. Every little thing reminded him of Brooke. Liam cried himself to sleep that night. His dreams were full of more vivid memories. Brooke in all of them. This went on for months. Liam stopped eating. He spent his days in his room. Liam's loved ones worried about him. They tried everything to make him eat but it was no use.

One night Liam dreamt of being in a place that appeared to be floating. He was in the suit he was wearing the day he was going to propose. He turned around to see Brooke all dressed in white. She looked gorgeous. She slowly made her way to Liam.

"Brooke?" Liam asked in disbelief. He reached out to touch a lock of her silky blonde hair. She smiled at him weakly.

"Liam...Don’t do it...please..." she begged.

"Do what?" Liam asked. Brooke opened her mouth to say something but she was interrupted. A loud irritating sound replaced her voice. Liam's eyes fluttered open. He slammed his alarm clock angrily.

He couldn't take it anymore. Liam turned his attention to a bottle filled with sleeping pills. He popped the lid open and poured a handful of pills into his hand. Taking one last look at his girlfriends picture, Liam swallowed the pills. Liam's eyes began to feel heavy. Soon everything went black.

He stood in a dark place. A single ray of light shone. Liam walked towards it. He walked into the light with his eyes closed. When he opened them he found that he had gone to a familiar place. There were people sitting in rows behind him.

"Where am I?" Liam asked the man in front of him. The man simply smiled and gestured behind Liam. Liam furrowed his eyebrows together with confusion. He turned around slowly. Liam gasped and tears of joy sprung into his eyes. Her blonde hair was flowing down her shoulders, her perfect white smile seemed brighter, and her beautiful brown eyes were sparkling.

"Brooke?" Liam asked caressing her cheek.

"Liam...I told you not to do It." she said frowning slightly.

"I-I didn’t want to live without you." Liam whispered looking down. Brooke smiled and entwined her fingers with his. Liam smiled at Brooke and they both turned their attention to the man before them.

"Do you, Liam Payne, take Brooke Cowell to be your wife?" the man asked.

"I do." Liam replied.

"And do you, Brooke Cowell, take Liam Payne to be your husband?" the man asked.

"I do." she smiled.

"With the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride." the man announced. Liam turned to look at Brooke. She smiled and they finally got to share the kiss that symbolized their eternal love.

The song Moments by One Direction inspired me to write this.