My Maximum Ride--Ch.1 | Teen Ink

My Maximum Ride--Ch.1

By RiotRave SILVER, Earlimart, California
RiotRave SILVER, Earlimart, California

"What the frick?!!"
"That's what she said"

Even before I opened my eyes I knew I was back at the School. I could see the white ceiling above me, smell all the lab equipment; my stomach flipped. I tried to sit up but something choked me. My wrists and ankles and neck were strapped to the metal table. Oh, God.

Jeb walked into the room, a smile on his face. “Good to see you again, Max, my girl.” I refused to respond. “Hmm. So you’re going to stay quiet. It doesn’t matter to me, so long as you listen to what I say.”

“Where are the others?” I asked through gritted teeth, struggling against the leather bands.

He smirked, looking like the father I used to know. “I was hoping you would answer that.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Right.” I was actually relieved. Hopefully Fang and Iggy kept Nudge, Gasman and Angel in the dark about me for a while, and I also hoped they wouldn’t be stupid enough to come after me.

Jeb sat down on a stool. “Seriously, Max. You’re important. If I have to bring the others to you to make you happy I will do it. Just tell me where they are.”

“You wanna make me happy? Untie me.”

He half-smiled. “You’re really stubborn, you know that? Maybe one of the reasons why you’re the one.”

“I don’t buy your c*** about me saving the world, being important and whatnot. You don’t need them, so why are you even looking for them?”

“You’re right, Max, we don’t need them. But we need you. I’m only bothering to look for them because I figured you’d want them near.”

“I’ll never want them anywhere near here.”

“Well, then, case closed. Fang, Iggy, Gasman, Nudge, and little Angel will remain untouched. You, on the other hand, we’ll keep for a while.” Basically, that’s all I wanted: my family safe, sound and out of harm’s way. They were going to be fine without someone hunting them, or someone putting them in danger.

But it kind of sucks on my end, though, doesn’t it?

Jeb must’ve thought I was ignoring him because he snapped his fingers. “Well, Max, I’m tired of getting nowhere with you. The tests aren’t showing me results. It seems like you don’t want to understand.”

“Really? What gave you that idea?”

“Well, aren’t you a ray of sunshine.” He gestured to someone I couldn’t see. I turned as much as I could to see another white coat bring in what looked like an electroencephalograph--or what also looked like an EEG machine for those of you who don’t know.

“What’s that for?” I asked. I hid the panic from my voice.

“You see, Max, we want you to do what we believe is the right thing. But you’ve convinced yourself--and the others--that we’re the bad guys.”

“Which you are.”

He smiled like I’d said something cute. “So, after much consideration, and with time running out on us, we’ve decided to convince you to do what we say.” He moved his head towards the machine the white coat was setting up. “This little wonder here will help us do that.”

“What? You’re gonna brainwash me?” I taunted.

“Correct, actually. We need you to see things our way, the right way. What you’re doing is putting the world in danger. We don’t have time to waste on testing you when we can just set your brain the way it should be.” Jeb kneeled down so we were eye level. “Max, we need you to agree… or we’ll have to resort to what you call ‘brainwash’.”

I spat in his eye. “You can poke and prod all you want. I’ll never do what you say.”

Jeb stood up, wiped his eye with a tissue, and sighed. “Let’s start it, Oliver,” he said to the white coat. Then he left the room.

The Maximum Ride Books by James Patterson are one of the best writing I've read. I heard it isgoing to be made into a film, and it will directed by Catherine Hardwicke (directort of 'Twilight'). I pray she won't mess this up too.

MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California

"Christus nos liberavit!"

You got Max pretty well, but I always saw Jeb a little kinder and not as rough. I haven't read Angel yet so I don't know if his personality changes at all in that book. Other than that, good job.

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
I LOVE MAXIUM RIDE!!!!!! AND I LOVE THIS!!!!! KEEP WRITING THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)(:

fanta.seas said...
on Aug. 24 2010 at 4:28 am
fanta.seas, Singapore, Other

I came, I saw, I conquered.

Wow, I love it! You've completely captured the moment, and completely gotten Max's attitude.

WowieKazowie said...
wooooooow that's really good!! 5 stars!! you really captured the essence of max, and I'm TOTALLY reading the next chapter!! Keep it up!

xcrayolaxstormx SILVER, Coventry, Rhode Island

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

I agree. LOL. I love her comebacks sometimes, and I'm like, I wish I was that clever. Keep up the great work :)

nutmeg212 GOLD said...
nutmeg212 GOLD, Coventry, Rhode Island

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

this is good.  you captured the essence of max, what with the sarcastic, rebellious, slightly hateful tone. i felt as though i was reading one of the books. great job

on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:54 am
RiotRave SILVER, Earlimart, California

"What the frick?!!"
"That's what she said"

Thanks a lot. That's an awesome compliment.

JacobC GOLD said...
JacobC GOLD, Belgium, Wisconsin

"Am I indecisive? Well, yes and no." -Anonymous

Great story! I love Max Ride books.

Argason said...
This is really convincing and really awesome to read! You captured Max's voice and attitude perfectly!! xx

WaterQueen07 GOLD, Chardon, Ohio

Gerard Way: "Hey, girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise. That's all. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. You're good enough, you are too good. Love your family with all your heart and listen to it. You are gorgeous, whether you're a size 4 or 14. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're a good person, as long as you respect others. I know it's been told hundreds of times before, but it's true. Hey, girls, you are beautiful."

I love the Maximum Ride books, and I just felt like I was reading one. You did a great job using the same writing style and keeping their personalities.

RiotRave SILVER, Earlimart, California

"What the frick?!!"
"That's what she said"

To quote you: "Don't act surprised"

LaylaViolet said...
Wow, Riot. I didn't know you had it in you!! ^.^