A Car Ride Home | Teen Ink

A Car Ride Home

By Sidney BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
Sidney BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas

I know I'm a Princess, because my Father is the King of kings.

Emmett’s POV
“Bella?”
“ Yes, Rosalie.” Bella mumbled, still not coherent, sounding a bit surprised. I couldn’t blame her, I was surprised, too. It was the first time I ever heard Rosalie speak directly to Bella.
“I’m so very sorry, Bella. I feel wretched about every part of this, and so grateful that you were brave enough to go save my brother after what we did. Please say you forgive me.” I didn’t know what kind of apoligy I was expecting from Rosalie, but it was defiently not that.
“Of course, Rosalie” Bella mumbled, slurring her words so much a normal human wouldn’t understand. “It’s not your fault at all. I’m the one who jumped off the damn cliff. Of course I forgive you.” Well, I thought, it was Rose’s fault,too. If she hadn’t called Edward and told him Bella killed herself than we wouldn’t be here, and we wouldn’t have had to go through pain and worry that we felt after we found out Edward went to the Volturi to kill himself. I felt like I had lost two siblings.
“It doesn’t count until she’s conscious Rose.” I said, chuckling, trying to break the tension between everyone. (You don‘t have to be Jasper to know when the atmosphere gets tense.)
“I’m conscious.”
“Let her sleep.” Edward said, his voice sounding a little warmer. Thank god, I wouldn’t want to ride all the way home with him in a bad attitude. Though, we did have to get some things straight before we get home. So better now then ever, right?
I took a deep breath bracing myself. I heard Edward take a deep breath, too, probaly already knowing I had questions that needed answers. Such a mind- reader! I looked at Rosalie for support, but she was staring intently at her legs, running her beautiful hands through her long, blonde hair.
“Just go ahead and get it over with Emmett.” Edward whispered to fast for human ears to hear. Useless though, Bella was already asleep and would be untill we get to her house.
Okay, I thought, here goes nothing.
“What were you thinking, Edward?” I took a deep breath, trying to get my thoughts together. “ I mean, really. How could you do that? To the family, to me, or to Esme. Especially Esme. You know how much you mean to her. You’re her favorite.” I stopped to give him sometime to think through his answers. Though that wasn’t nearly all the question I had for him, just the ones I could get out without losing my temper.
“ I really don’t know what I was thinking, Emmett. I know I should have called to get the facts straight before jumping to conclusions about Bella’s death.” I saw him wince at the last word. “ I wasn’t thinking about what I was going to do to the family. To you or to Esme. Really, I don’t know what I thinking. I’m so sorry for everything I’ve caused this family in the last year.”
“No, Edward. Not all of this is your fault.” Rosalie argued. “I can’t let you take all the blame for bringing Bella out here, all the way to Italy. I’m sorry. I should have called Alice and made sure I had my facts straight before I called you, and for that I am so terribly sorry, Edward. I really am, please say you forgive me.” Never in my existence have I seen Rosalie beg. I was waiting for Edward’s answer when the phone in my pocket vibrated. I flipped the cover of the phone up immediantly knowing it would be Alice, probaly joining the coversation, too- not like she didn’t see it in a vision.
“Who is it?” Rosalie asked out of curiosity.
“Alice.” I said as I pushed the talk button.
“Give the phone to Edward.” Alice said before I even had the phone up to my ear. “Pfff...so much for that conversation.” I mumbled as I passed the phone to Edward’s waiting hand. I smirked as I saw the expression across his face. He knew something was up.
“Yes, Alice.” Edward said in that silky voice of his. He paused letting Alice answer. “Oh, really.” Another pause. “Great, just great!” he said as he hung up.
“What?” me and Rosalie asked at the same time. I winked at her and she giggled.
“Alice said that there is going to be trouble with Charlie when we drop Bella off at her house.” His calm voice not so calm anymore.
“He’s not going to be happy we’re back in town is he.” Rosalie stated.
“Nope.”
There was a minute of silence. I was thinking that Charlie can’t be that dangerous, but what if he tried to shoot Edward. Not that he would, just that we would have a hard time trying to explain why Edward didn’t die. Hmmm...
“Yes, Rose. I forgive you.” Edward said, suddenly. Apperently Rose was still wondereing if Edward would forgive her and Edward answered her thoughts. Hate it when the guy does that.
“Well, I’m just glad you and Bella are alright. I mean it hurt thinking you just lost a brother and a sister in one day.” Rosalie tensed when I said this. Maybe she just wasn’t quite ready to think of Bella like a sister, even though I did.
In the next forty-five minutes, we were already in Forks, pulling into Bella’s driveway, when Edward growled. I looked in the rear view mirror just to see Edward pull Bella into his lap and step out of the car. Before he shut the door he whispered, “Just wait here.”
And then I heard Charlie.
“Bella!” he shouted. Well Edwared, at least he doesn’t have a gun. Just think ‘It could be worse’. I smiled as I remebered that, that was the saying Bella used to always say when she got hurt.
“I can’t believe you have the nerve to show your face here!” Charlie yelled as Edward reached the top of the driveway.
“Stop it, dad.” Bella whispered. Charlie’s yelling must have woken her up.
Poor Bella, I thought.
“What’s wrong with her?” Charlie asked with a trace of concern in his voice, but it was gone when Edward answered his question.
“She’s just very tired, Charlie,” Edward tried to assure him. “Please let her rest.”
“Don’t tell me what to do!” God, he is just trying to help, don’t be so dramatic. “Give her to me. Get your hands off of her!” Edward tried to pass Bella to him, but Bella clung on to him with locked fingers. Damn, when did this girl get so strong.
They were on the front porch with the door standing wide open.
“What do you think is going to happen, Emmett?” Rosalie turned towards me.
“I don’t know. Maybe Charlie will ban Edward from the house, some more yelling.” I said, already knowing the answer. “Good thing we got front row seats for the whole thing.” Rosalie laughed.
“GET OUT!” Charlie bellowed so loud I’m sure the next door neighbors woke up. We turned around to see Edward emerging from the front door with a look of pain on his face. Did we miss something, I thought just as Edward looked up at Bella’s window. Ahhh...that’s it. He doesn’t want to be away from Bella.
Edward just kept walking with numerous glances at Bella’s window. Since he couldn’t run up the wall and into her window- because Charlie was still staring at him with bleary eyes from the front door- he had to get in the car.
Once Edward was in the car I pressed the gas petal and got the hell out of here. Edward would have to wait till we get a little father away so he can jump out and run back to Bella.
Once we got far enough from Bella’s house, Edward was out of the car and traveling at top speed to her house. Have fun, I thought as I grabbed Rosalie‘s hand and held it in my own. It felt good to have the family back.
As we turned the corner I looked back at Bella’s house. They were together, and that was all that mattered. They truly did belong together. Forever.