The Story that was Never Told | Teen Ink

The Story that was Never Told

Before I continue here is a short summary of me. Im 16 years old and i'm in my junior year of highschool. I play football and baseball, I'm a quarterback and shortstop . I attend a high school named Franklin we are a poor school with a lot of heart and talent. My dad got locked up when I was 12 and gets out when im 16 and a half. My mom has always been there for me she is my pride and joy I get up everyday because of her I will be big one day for her. Me and my sister are close she is my supporter when I have to overcome something she helps me with that first step and is always by my side when I need it the most.

It was a regular Friday I had just woke up hearing that annoying sound of the alarm clock

“BEEP BEEP BEEP” as I hit it for it to go off I get up and walk to the kitchen to make a bowl of cereal. As my mom has the news going very loudly on the TV.

Mom yells, “good morning”

I repeat it back with a low and raspy voice. As I carry my bowl of milk with a little bit of cereal in it even though i'm lactose intolerant. After finishing it I wash my bowl I head to my room grab clothes and my jersey to take a shower. As my mom is singing to country music while doing her hair for work in the other bathroom. I take a shower and put on my jersey and pack my football bag also making sure I have my homework.

My mom yells “I'm getting the car out come close the garage”

I finish doing my hair and walk to the garage close it and lock up the house. When I enter the car.

Mom says, “Do you have everything”

“I answer back with a “yessssss mom i have everything”.

I then go on to grab the aux cord and play Nba Youngboy all the way to school. As I get out of the car.

Mom says, “Have a good day i'll see you at the game tonight do good ur great”

Following with, “Also I’m volunteering tonight”
I say, “Ok i'll see you there”.

I walk towards the middle of the school as i look around and don't find anyone around its about 6:45 and school starts at 7:20 i'm always an early person and my mom had to be at work at 7 o’clock. I get to the cafeteria and the old lunch lady is waiting for me to scan my id to get in and eat.

Old lunch lady, “Good Morning”

I answer with, “Good morning how are you”

Old lunch lady, “Great and you”

I say, “Good just ready to play”

I go and grab whatever nasty old food there giving out also grabbing a banana and apple juice. I sit down and look around with no one in sight. I put in my ear phones and watch the other teams film to remember what defense they run. By the time i get threw the whole game it's about 7 o’clock and people start showing up to school. I then head outside to where all the football players hang out and everyone is in that game mode ready to play. As the bell rings for first period

I yell, “Yo Martin you ready for today you do your job i'll do mine”

Martin says, “Yup I got your back”

I say, “Ok see you after school”

I walk in to my first period which is spanish and read the board with our agenda on it for the period.

I say, “Hola Vira”

Vira says, “ Hola Carlos”

As I sit in my set and get my notebook out I take my earphones out and do the bellringer for the rest of the period we go over health in spanish which is salud and as the bell rings for pasting period. I walk out of class and put my earphones back in and think about how we going to do tonight. When walking into art I look for Ms.Ortega

As I say, “Hey Ms.Ortega”

She answers back with a “ Goodmorning Charles”

I then continue to listen to music and get my paint to finish my project as it comes to the end of the period we all clean up and get ready for the next period. The bell rings for passing period to 3rd and I walk my way to first period and as soon as I get to third I sit down and Mr. Cobian usually talks about how we have a test coming up. Then we go over power and the class talks about power and the significance of it. As soon as third is over I head to lunch usually hang out with the football players for a little and get food. By then lunch is over and I am walking to 5th period Algebra 2. When I get in 5th period I sit down and start on the kick off which is usually worked based off our homework and what we did yesterday as we are doing the kickoff Mr. Andad walks around checking if we did homework when he shows up to my desk

Mr. Andad says, “Do you have the homework”

I answer with, “Yes i do have it”

As I show him the homework and he says great job I smile and continue the work i was doing and he goes over a new topic and the bell rings for 5th. 5th and 6th period usually go by pretty fast having english and science as my last periods. As soon as the last bell rings I walk over to the locker room and say what's up to coach.

Coach says, “ You ready for today”

I answer back with, “Hell yea coach born ready”

As I walk into the locker room and text leonel to get me subway and tell him I will pay it when he gets back to the locker room. I sit in front of my locker thinking about what needs to happen during the game going by the quote my dad gave me saying.

“Fear nothing attack everything”

By the time I get ready and eat my sandwich its 3:30 and I got to warm up. I call the team together and tell them to meet me outside on the field for warm ups in 10 mins top. We break and I grab the footballs and walk outside. As soon as I step outside I get this feeling that it is go time.

I turn the corner and see my dad the one that I haven't seen in years.

He looks at me and says, “ Have a good game son im here for you and will get you the best”

I looked at him and started crying but nodded my head not really understanding what he meant by that. All I did no was that Ohio state was there to watch me play and to think about giving me a scholarship and I knew I couldn't let him talk to them a guy that just got out of jail. Me and my mom worked so hard to change our reputation and he can't just ruin it. But there was nothing I could do about it. I went on to do me I new we had a big game and this couldn't throw me off I had a dream to get I had to go get it. That game i threw for 301 yards 2 touchdowns and no interceptions. After the game was over i looked for my mom in the stands but she was nowhere to be found. I go to the locker room to change and have a meeting with the team and coach it was a regular meeting

“Just do your job and we win games you just seen it with your own eyes” Coach says.

I then hurry and change and head outside and see the Ohio state head coach standing right there on the phone. He walks up to me

Hell of a game kid would be glad to have you as our Quarterback in 2 years can we make that deal” Coach says

“I ask nicely may I talk to my mom and get back to you by the end of the week” I say.

“Coach answers back with whatever you need kid get back to me as soon as possible” said Coach

“No problem coach will do you have a great day” I say.

As he walked away and nodded his head. I then go on to look for my mom I walk out to my car and see my mom crying beside it with bleeding nose and scratches all over her body. I run up to her

I say, “ WHAT HAPPEN”

Mom answers, “ I'm ok just someone took my wallet”

I say, “Who mom what they look like”

Mom says, “You wouldn't know them”

I stand her up and clean her off with my tower from my locker and give her my water to wash her face and hands.

Mom says, “Thank you, did you see your dad here today he got out of jail and how did it go with Ohio state”.

I answer, “Yea where did he go and did he talk to the collage by any chance also mom it went great he said if I would like to verbally committee there”

Mom says,” I have no idea where he is and he did talk to the coach but that's great you should do it”

I answer, “Dammit I don't want him to fuck with my future he already messed up my past why do we need him now”.

“I no I think the same”, said mom

We continue on with our night and go out to eat when we get home there is a man at our door waiting it is my dad

He says, “How he is sorry for leaving us and he wants to become a family”.

I answer, “With a big no we are find the way we are and don't need you”.

At this point we were both fase to fase and i'm just about the same size as him maybe a little shorter.

I say, “You can leave and never come back disappear like you did for those years”

He answers, “I dont no who your talking to like that but you must have forgot im your father.

I say, “You aren't shit to me but another dead man walking”

He says, “After what I did for you today you talk to me like this. I bargained the hell out of that coach saying how you can go anywhere you want. He believed me and gave you that ride didn't he”.

I say, “That's not the point it's that you aren't part of me anymore you no longer are in my head. And I don't want you even talking to my coaches again. Period.”

He slaps me across my face I look at him and punch him clear in the nose screaming how does it feel.

He answers, “Great I did it to ur mom”

As I look in his back pocket and see my mom wallet. I punch him so hard he knocks out I grab my stuff and walk in the house with my mom following me. When we get inside there is the Ohio coach sitting at the dining table

Coach says, “I respect you kid finish school and come play for me”

I say, “No problem don’t mind that person out front”

Coach says, “ I no everything about it kid don’t worry”

My mom gives me hug and takes a sit at the table as i go in my room to get clothes to shower. I some reason wake up the next morning with smell of breakfast and country music playing. I walk in the kitchen and its normal again.

Bobby continues High School finishes with a 4.3 GPA and was #1 QB in his country.  He now lives in Ohio with his mom has no idea where his dad is but hopefully making it big one day.

It is a true Story.