A Small Mistake, in a Portable Fork | Teen Ink

A Small Mistake, in a Portable Fork

By Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other

A Small Mistake, in a Portable Fork        

I tiptoed through the cafeteria as noises of people dining and chatting echoed through the cafeteria. Slowly and carefully, I trailed through the edges of the dining hall and stumbled through the crowds. Then, making sure no one was looking, I reached my hand out and grabbed an utensil. A fork. As fast As I can, I tried to slide it inside my "pocket". After that, all I can hear is a crashing sound beneath me as I realized the pants I wore that day had no pockets. Starting to panic, I quickly picked up the fork I dropped and started running......
            On the twenty first of July, I started attending a camp that will last three weeks long in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Aiming for studying internationally in the future, I have always spent time in America for summer camps every year. However, the camp I am going in to this year is probably in a higher caliber than all the others I have attended to so far. I have also never left my parents as long as three weeks before this. These facts made me exceptionally nervous that day.
            After I bore my parents farewell and finished the schedules that day, I started interacting with some of the camp members in my hall at dorm. The people in camp were surprisingly friendly to me and some second-year campers even helped me with setting up the dorm. Their kindness eased my tension just in the first day. Then, At night, before our first sleep of the camp, I hear someone knocking at my door. Opening the door, I saw Eddy from our hall standing in the hallway, holding a cup of ramen(instant noodles).
            "You want some ramen?"Eddy asked. "I can sell one to you for one buck. I bought more than fifty cups to sell in case anyone got hungry. The others have already bought some from me, though the only problem is we don't have utensils for eating. You'd have to prepare that by yourself."
            "Sure!" I replied cheerfully as I searched through my pocket. "here's your one buck."
            "I'll cook it for you at the microwave, so wait for three minutes!" he shouted as he ran back down the hallway.
            Probably because I was too hungry to think. I didn't realize that I had absolutely no way of eating my ramen at that time. I ended up eating my ramen with the other end of my new toothbrush that night. Thinking I still had to live three weeks at the camp, A plan slowly started to form in my mind......
          After three days of psychological fight inside my mind, I finally decided to execute my plan. Every day in camp, we eat at the same cafeteria for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. At the edge of the cafeteria besides the food stands, a gathering of utensils for dining lined up on the table. Above the utensils, a sign clearly reads "Do not bring out cafeteria utensils. Utensils only meant for dining in this cafeteria". My plan was to break that rule for the sake of my ramen. Eating ramen with toothbrush every day have started to disgust me, even if it's a brand new brush. Therefore, I have convinced myself that this is the only way out if I wanted to eat ramen peacefully. One steal, and three weeks of peaceful ramen. Isn't that appealing?And so, on the forth day of camp, at suppertime, I executed my plan.
                As I tiptoed through the crowds, I thought through my plan carefully. I have to reach the utensil stand, take a fork, and quickly slide it into my pocket without having anyone notice me. Like a cat advancing through the darkness, I slid past crowds of people talking successfully without anyone paying extra attention to me. Then, I reached out for the fork as fast as a monkey snatching a banana, and slid it where my pocket is supposed to be. When I turn my head to leave, I heard a crash on the ground. That's when I realized I have been too careless. I had worn a pocketless pants that day. The fork that was meant to be in my pocket by now is dropped on the ground, making a large noise. Slowly, people started to look at me, wondering what I was doing. I have attracted unwanted attention on me. The worst case scenario had happened. Unable to think at that point, I quickly picked up my fork and ran back towards my seat, looking stupid and awkward. Then, I pretended I was going to clean up the fork using a tissue and continue my dinner using the fork. Although I had two forks at the time, people around me didn't pay much attention to it. Luckily, my jacket was hanging on the fair I was sitting, so I was able to sneak the fork into the jacket pocket afterwards. In the end, although my plan did work, I had almost freaked myself out in the process.       
            After that day in camp, I was able to enjoy my ramen using the fork peacefully, as I intended to. I originally planned to return the fork back to the cafeteria at the last day of camp, but because Eddy ran out of ramen on the third week, I forgot about the fork. I ended up accidentally bringing the fork home with me when I left the camp. Although I may have only committed a small crime, I still feel unbelievable guilt until today, probably because I stole the fork without "returning" it.