Green | Teen Ink

Green

May 12, 2015
By Fiddler SILVER, Sauk City, Wisconsin
Fiddler SILVER, Sauk City, Wisconsin
6 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was one of the children told, some of the blowing dust was gold." -Robert Frost


Green       
What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word “green”? Some may think money, others think frogs, or boogers, or slugs or any other gross thing green things. Some associate it with the wealthy, or the color of all things nasty, but I don’t think of any of these things when I hear “green”. When I hear green, I think of a hayfield in July. I think about the way that green sways with the leaves of summer, or with rolling river waters. I think of the first inklings of green that appear in April. They break the frigid ground and banish winter. How those green inklings, as the warm days come, lift their leaves to the sun. Green can be a mosaic. The cool greens from the deepest depths of a forest combine with the sunlit shades of yellow-greens that bask in the evening sun to create one whole picture. In August, green stands in soldier rows, tall and straight and proud. Green is friends with the tawny earth, the golden sun, and the blue sky. They work together, hand in hand, and make a path to travel by. This list could go on forever, and disappear into the horizon, like a shining field of green. But let me leave you with one last word I think when I hear green: life.


The author's comments:

Go outside on some random summer day, and just count all the shades of green.