Every second counts | Teen Ink

Every second counts

October 11, 2014
By Luz Miyar-Mullan SILVER, San Francisco, California
Luz Miyar-Mullan SILVER, San Francisco, California
6 articles 3 photos 0 comments

     Richard Perkins woke up everyday at 6 o'clock sharp, without an alarm clock. He pulled on his high waisted, khaki pants, which he wore with his favorite black leather belt. By 6:10 every morning, he was dressed. It took him exactly two minutes to prepare his healthy breakfast: quick, microwavable oatmeal, and by 6:12 he was at the sofa watching Sienfield, eating his oats. At exactly seven o' clock he put his dishes in the sink and washed his bowl, which took him 30 seconds. He started brushing his teeth at 7:01. He did this in 30 seconds, which explained why he had such awful dental hygien. He grabbed his bag and left at exactly 7:03 everyday. He arrived at work ad got settled into his cubical where he worked as a junior accountant. He took his first bite of his tuna salad sandwhich at 12:01. He fnished lunch at 12:30 and settled back in his cubicle at 12:32. He arranged his stash of cuban cigars in his desk drawer at 4:30 and left work in his Prius - as an attempt to save the earth - at 5 o'clock. He got home, lit a cigarette at 5:24, took a couple drags and put it out at 5:25. He put on Seinfield again at 6 o'clock once he had finished his protien filled chicken breast and washed his dish. He changed into his plaid pajama set and retired to his bed at 8 o'clock every night. Mr. Perkins continued this routine every day of his adult life untill one day, when he was 663 months old, he choked on a couple oats while eating his breakfast. 


The author's comments:

     This piece portrays the life of a man who did the same things every day. The title, every second counts, has a double meaning; every second is meaningful, and he is counting every second.