Life of my dog | Teen Ink

Life of my dog

November 11, 2013
By swimmergirl3 SILVER, Canandaigua, New York
swimmergirl3 SILVER, Canandaigua, New York
6 articles 6 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"i love you more than swimming... haha keep dreaming" “Goodbye? Oh no, please. Can’t we just go back to page one and start all over again?” – Winnie The Pooh


My day usually starts out when the big scary guy finally awakens. He unlocks my door and then lets me outside into the cool morning air. We walk side by side as we go up the small hill. My legs are getting old and the stairs hurt me when I have to climb them. I think he is getting old too because he seems to not mind walking up the small hill so I can go do my business.

Quickly before my bladder feels like it will explode at any second I run into the grass and sniff around for a few seconds. I pause. I think another creature has been in my yard! How dare they go to the bathroom on my territory! Oh wait what was I going to do? Oh yea, I find the perfect spot and do my business. A dead smell goes up into my nose and I run to find where it is coming from. When I find it I sniff a little more and roll around in it. Now I smell all dirty just way I like it. Oh no, now the mean guy will want to give me a bath. The people seem to not like the smell and end up washing me. I wonder why they don’t like the smell. Oh well it was worth it.

Eventually I hear the man call my name “Reese come!” I run down the grass hill and waddle down the stairs and into the warm house. Usually I jump up and down as I wait for him to take my bowl and fill it up with food. As he goes into the garage I sit and stare at the door for him to come back out with my bowl filled with the food that I love. He comes back and I wag my tail and start gobbling down my food. When I finish the food I walk to the edge of the stairs at wait. Around this time the smaller boys are getting up. One starts going down the stairs that leads to another level where I am not allowed to go up to. Maybe he will pet me or rub my ears. I wag my tail as I watch him and he pats my head and walks down the next set of stairs. Yes! He patted my head. This boy seems to not be so with it in the morning. Hopefully later he will play with me.

A few minutes later the older man comes up the stairs holding a treat in one hand and a needle in the other. Oh boy oh boy oh boy a treat! I love treats! I get one every morning. I run to my blanket and sit down on it. I patiently wait as drool drips out of my mouth. I wonder why my mouth does that every time I see the treat. He hands it to me and I walk in a circle on my bed and lay down. Mmm yummy treat! I sit as the man rolls me over onto my side and he grabs a chunk of my fur. I hate this part of the day it hurts. He puts the needle in me and puts a cool liquid into me. It hurts for a second then I feel better. I thought my sugar levels were out of whack. Whatever he puts in me it make my body regulate the sugar in my body.

Now all the other smaller boys and girl wake up and get ready for the day. After I finish my treat I walk to the edge of the stairs and lay down right above them and watch the people go by. They talk to each other and eat their own kind of food. Sometimes the girl will come up the stairs and pet my head. She really likes my ears she says that they are soft, whatever soft means. I like her the most. Out of all the smaller people she pets me the most and takes care of me. I especially like it when she scratches my belly. How I wish she would do that right now. She leaves me and goes to her room.

The youngest boy comes down and looks at me. I sniff him a little. I don’t like the way he smells. He puts his face close to mind and breaths on me. Eww the horrid breath goes up my nose and i turn my head away. Yuck he smells. I wonder if my breath smells that bad too. Thank god he goes away. I sit and wait as people pass by me. A little while later the older woman walks up by me. I quickly get up and fallow her. She usually just puts her hand on my head. I think she thinks I am gross. Then she leaves the house.

Eventually the house becomes quieter. The three small boys run down into the basement and leave. The girl walks up the stairs to my room and pets me for a little bit and then carries all her bags and goes outside. Then the old man comes up and says “Reese go lay down.” I do what he says as he locks my doors. He pets me a little bit and then says “Be a good girl Reese.” I guess when he says that he means don’t destroy anything. I don’t desire to destroy anything. That takes too much energy to do.

The man leaves and then the house is quiet. I sit in the room and wait. I end up sleeping for eight hours, switching positions from time to time and drinking some water here and there. I think I live a pretty nice life. It’s peaceful to me. I don’t mind not doing anything. I like being a dog. Life is good and soon the house will be filled with the people and something new and fun happens every day. I just have to wait for them to come home. They always come home and that is the best part of my life is that they always come back.