A Little Girl Sat on the Stone Steps... | Teen Ink

A Little Girl Sat on the Stone Steps...

A little girl sat on the stone steps of her backyard eating a cherry popsicle. The red juice was dribbling off the popsicle onto her chin, and she called for her mother.
"Mum," she yelled.
"If I had a whole box of popsicles I'd be the happiest second grader on the planet."
Her mother ran towards the house and returned with a whole box of the popsicles and carefully placed them on the step next to her daughter.
And she was happy.
A whole year later, that same little girl was perched on the swing outside of her house. She swung back and forth, back and forth. As the young girl pumped her legs higher and higher, she caught a glimpse of her shoes. They were plain white lace up tennis shoes from the Target that her mum worked at. The little girl thought for awhile, then cupped her hands over her mouth and shouted for her mother.
"Mum," she called.
"If I got a nice pair of pink tennis shoes like Ally Carson in my class, I'd be the happiest little girl in the world."
Her mother smiled at her, then turned back to the house.
The next morning there was a box waiting next to the little girl's bed. Inside were the most beautiful pair of pink shoes she had ever seen.
And she was happy.
The winter before the girl started middle school, she overheard a group of girls talking in the tiny bathroom of the schoolhouse.
"I just got a brand new winter coat," the girl explained.
"It has a faux fur collar and everything!"
A chorous of oohs and ahhs followed.
The girl didn't hear the rest of the conversation because she was already on her way home, breathing whisps of winter air as her feet crunched in the December snow.
"Mum,"
she screeched.
"Sophie Williams from my fifth grade class just got a new coat! It has fur on it, mum! I simply must have one. I'd be so happy, it would be the only fur coat I've ever owned!"
Her mum smiled a grim smile and slowly walked out of the room. A week later, a new faux fur coat was put under the tree, a whole two weeks before Christmas.
The girl slipped on the white fur coat and grinned, her eyes sparkling in the candlelight.
And she was happy.
Years passed, and the little girl grew up. She was at the top of her class in high school, and anxiously awaited college. One day when she was at the University, the little girl picked up the phone and dialed her mother. They hadn't spoken in at least two months.
"Mum,"
she said,
"It would be easier for me to type up my papers if I had a real lap top. Not a computer, just a lap top that I could easily fit in the dorms. If I had a lap top, I would be the most content student in the world."
Two weeks later, a package appeared in the young woman's doorway. Her tanned hands gripped the box as she dragged it across the room. Her fingers carefully ripped off the tape and she looked inside. Inside was the most incredible laptop she had ever seen. Carefully she took it out of the box and admired its complexity. A small note was attatched to the inside.
I love you forever, my little girl.
Love, Mum.
Her eyes scanned the note and her gaze lingered on it for a moment. She smiled, then folded the note and put it back inside the box. Filled with newfound energy from her gift, she decided to get started on an English assignment.
And she was happy.
Four years later, the woman was validictorian of her class. She scanned the crowded area in search of her mom. A woman with grey hair and creases around her eyes threw her arms around the woman, the smile never leaving her face.
"Mum!"
The woman cried. I'm in desperate need of transportation. Do you think you could just get me a car? Any car? I don't care what kind it is, but I don't have any way of getting out of this place.
Her mom smiled softly and went to find her seat.
Two days later, a '99 VW Jetta was parked outside of the dorms with a big red ribbon on it.
And she was happy.
The woman packed all of her belongings and settled in Iowa with her husaband and two daughters. Her husband and her were constantly fighting, her job was on the rocks, and her oldest daughter was difficult. She was setting the table for dinner when the phone rang. Surprised to hear her mother's voice, the woman widened her eyes. She hadn't spoken to her in years.
"Honey,"
her mom said.
"I am weak and I am sick. Please come and see me."
"Okay, Mum. I'll be there tomorrow. But if you don't mind me asking, do you think you could lend me a little money? We're struggling."
Then she hung up.
The next day, the middle-aged woman loaded up her Jetta and traveled to Des Moines, Iowa where the hospital was. She slowly walked into the hospital and stopped at the receptionist's desk.
"I'm here to see Jean Larson, please,"
the middle-aged woman said.
"I'm sorry,"
the receptionist said,
"I can't find a Jean Larson on the list."
The funeral was a small one, and the middle-aged woman and her kids sat in silence. A few days later, the woman got a copy of the will. Inside was a check for two hundred dollars, the only amount of money the old woman had left. Written on the inside was a special message from her mother to her dear daughter:
I hope that one day you find the true happiness that have been searching for.
Love,
Mum.

on Jul. 9 2009 at 5:17 pm
a_bunch_of_nuns, Unknown, Wisconsin
That's a great story; great message. Isn't it great what a mother will do for her family?