Important Decision | Teen Ink

Important Decision

By SorceressCynVanity GOLD, Dallas, Texas
SorceressCynVanity GOLD, Dallas, Texas

In all the world there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world there is no love for you like mine. - Maya Angelou

The loneliest people are the kindest, the saddest people smile the brightest, the damaged people are the wisest. -Unknown

It was an autumn day, the falling leaves falling gently to the ground. I breathed in the autumn air. It tasted crisp and signaled the coming of winter. It was a special day for me because I was finally going to a job interview for a good job. I was getting promoted from a regular employee to the store supervisor. I was dressed professionally for today, with my hair tied back into a long ponytail.

I waited for Owen to come out the apartment so he can take me to the interview. He was my half brother, only one foot taller than me, and was sometimes very bossy. He finally came out, with his long brown hair tied back which made him look like an Indian warrior. The car keys in his hand danced as he came toward the car and me. He sighed, “Let’s get this over with.” I followed him to the car and sat in the passenger seat beside him.

After about five minutes of driving, I looked over at Owen and asked, “Where will you pick me up?” He shrugged, “I’ll look for you. Don’t leave your place, stay put.” I stared at him slightly confused, then I looked out the window. The sky was turning gray-black, warning about a severe storm coming our way.
It started to rain. I watched the rain drops as they landed on the window, chasing each other.

We were halfway there when I looked into a dark, empty, and wet alley. I noticed a lump of clothing against the wall. I was about to look away when the lump moved and I saw a face screaming help. I quickly glanced at Owen and yelled, “Stop the car!” I jerked forward as Owen halted to a stop. "For goodness sake! What's wrong?" asked Owen. I took off my seatbelt, opened the door, and got out. I started to run back toward the alley. When I finally got there, the lump of clothes was actually a person. I knelt next to her and felt her pulse. Her hand felt cold as death itself.

I didn’t know what to do. If I stay and help this person, then I will be late for my job interview. My immediate reflex was to call for help and aid this person. The job interview may have been important and could have changed my life; I knew I had to do the right thing. I pulled out my cell phone and called 911.

As I waited for help, I realized some things are more important than others no matter the consequences. I could always get promoted again, but this person could never have had another chance for life itself.