THE DECISION | Teen Ink

THE DECISION

April 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Teenagers are restless. All we want is to have a good time and always be right. Consequences mean nothing to us. We don’t listen, even if we should. Good influences are our only hope.


It was a summer Friday, and I was completely unaware of what would happen that day. My mom wanted me to help her redecorate the house. She said that how thins were arranged was starting to get old, and she wanted to “spice things up.”


Of course, I didn’t want to be of any help. I just desired to spend time with my friends. She announced that I could spend time with my friends later, when she didn’t need me. I bellowed and complained about how unjust she was being, even though her words were completely within reason.


After what seemed like centuries of mourning, she finally allowed me to accompany my friends somewhere. It turns out that all of my friends were going to Bob’s house.


Bob wasn’t really known for having parties or a social life. He mainly blended in with everyone. Now that I mention his name, I don’t recall him ever speaking.


The only problem ever with going to a party is if there is going to be supervision. I called up my buddy, Hayden, and asked him about the party. It turns out that there would be no supervision, and bob’s older brother was just going to be driving around with a whole bunch of people. Bob’s brother had just turned 16 and received his license to drive.


I knew that my mother would never even consider allowing me to go to this gathering, so I lied. I told my mom that it would be at bob’s house and that his parents would be looking after us. My mom knew that Bob’s parents were very well respected where we live, so she agreed to allow me to go.


Later that day, while I was getting dressed, I started to think about my exceedingly crack-headed wrongdoing. In the news, you always hear about these kids dying from car wrecks or being badly injured. I was kind of excited about going, but would it cost me my life?


Most people can’t picture what would happen if they die…….I can. If I entered the dark, cold, wretched abyss that we know as death, there’s no doubt a couple of people would be sad. My mom would say, “How could I let this happen?!” My dad would say, “How could he do something so idiotic?” And my sister would probably just tear up.


My mind was racing faster than a speeding bullet with a jet-pack, and I wasn’t sure what to do. I went to my 14 and 15 year old sisters and asked them what to do. It turns out that they had been in the same situation once. The only difference was that they went to their “party” and had a near collision with an eighteen wheeler. They said it was my choice and that I knew what to do.

I went into my mom’s room that night and said that the party was cancelled.


That night, two kids died in a car crash. These were the same kids that Bob’s brother was driving around.


Teenagers are restless. All we want is to have a fun time and to always be right. Consequences mean nothing to us. We don’t listen, even if we should. Good influences are our only hope. Thanks girls.