Drifter | Teen Ink

Drifter

By EMOEMY GOLD, Flower Mound, Texas
EMOEMY GOLD, Flower Mound, Texas

"If the world didn't suck we would all fall off", "My life's goal is to make those closest smile and laugh", "If you don't like it change it"

The air mask is probably what saved me from drowning. I was out upon impact the last thing I remember before blacking out was a child crying for his mother his father any one he sobbed and sobbed he was an unaccompanied “Child” just like I was. But unlike him I was alone I had no one to cry for.
As instructed I put my mask on and slowly breathed in and out, in and out closing my eyes till only slits of light could be seen. My mind wandered as we started to enter a progressive declining spiral. Then I blacked out when I woke up I still had the mask on but just barley the bag was now dangling from my face with water were the air should be. I saw nothing no plain no land no help just a never-ending emptiness. There was blood on my hand the cut was not too bad but it was still bad I felt a few shards of glass in the gash.
What seemed like hours later something finally floated up my legs being tired I decided what ever it is floats so I can use it to help me keep afloat as I started nearing it I realized it was his body the crying boys body. For some reason I kept nearing the boy. There was an aroma of salt, rust, and some un-notify able substance. The smell made me want to vomit but I couldn’t seem to as if something was stopping me. He was probably between the ages 10 and 12 and his face was grimacing of pain as if somehow he was still alive fighting for his life. Even though it was very clear he would be dead in a matter of time with no medical attention he still probably lost too much blood to survive. And that’s if he was even alive.
For some reason I couldn’t let him drift off I kept a hold of him and swam and swam even though it was pointless his breathing slowed as if he was slowly falling asleep. For that same reason when I found cushions from the crash I put him on them instead of myself. I wanted to rest to cry or even to look around but for some reason I felt the urge to keep kicking.
“Left, rite, left, rite, left, rite” played over and over in my head like a broken record. The sun was soon going to set and I then would be at a disadvantage. The up and down movement of the waves seemed almost soothing. Then as the sun set everything seemed to slowly fade from my sight as if blackness was slowly rubbing everything out. The only light was a large sphere in the sky with polka dots of different quantities lit the water in a spookey romantic way.

I read about a boy who died in a plain crash crossing the sea and was inspired.