Essay Contest: Giving Back on Christmas | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Giving Back on Christmas

By TylerN GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
TylerN GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

My family donates lots of food every year on Christmas to homeless people and homeless shelters. My parents would always tell me and my stepsisters that we don’t know what it's like to not have money and we need to experience how hard life is for the less fortunate people. 

I remember a few years ago on christmas morning we filled my step dad’s big Lexus truck full with food and my mom’s car full with food. We drove to Milwaukee and gave it all to this homeless shelter. We stayed and worked at the homeless shelter for 3-4 hours. It wasn’t hard work but it felt very rewarding. I had to set tables with silverware, put placemats and tablecloths on all of the tables, and give people coffee when their coffee ran out. Pretty easy stuff, my parents just had to serve whatever the people asked for and put it on a plate and give it to them.

Although the work wasn’t hard at all it made a huge difference in these people's lives that I didn’t realize until I experienced doing this. After we worked at the homeless shelter I felt pretty good about myself and I felt like I appreciated my life and my gifts more after I did that. It made me realize how much I have and how good my life actually is. When I am older I am going to do this every year as well and I think that it was a very good experience to have in my childhood and it will make a difference in my future.

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.