The Monster in the Closet | Teen Ink

The Monster in the Closet

By laynie-walloch GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
laynie-walloch GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I am the bravest girl on the block. Bugs, bikes, boys. I conquer them all. I know no fear. Until. I put on my softest pajamas and brush my pearly whites, careful around the loose ones. 

Tiptoeing to my room, I climb into inviting sheets on my snuggly bed and clutch the teddy bear that waits for me there. 

I hear the clock tick-tock down the hall and turn to look out onto my undisturbed, wholesome appearing room. But the closet. I spot it out of the corner of my eye. My weakness lies inside. Waiting, watching until I fall into its frightening claws. 

I cry out for my mother to come to protect me. She is the only one braver than me. 

“Go to sleep, there are no monsters there” My mother begs. My mother tells me that I’m stronger than my fears. She switches off the lights once again. Door shuts. I tuck my small head under the thick blankets and squeeze my eyes shut. Nothing can hurt me. I am strong. 

The air gets thick and warm with my breath. Drops roll on my face. Tears or sweat. I don’t know. 

I give up my hiding and reveal my head once again. And turn. My eyes slowly unseal and I glance towards the place of my shortcoming. I watch as the handle turns deliberately. Door opens just a crack. Growls, snarls within. As the red eyes multiple, I open my mouth.

I scream.