Cosmic Family | Teen Ink

Cosmic Family

By samantha934 SILVER, Homewood, Illinois
samantha934 SILVER, Homewood, Illinois

“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."

Sometimes when I look at the stars, I feel like they’re staring right back at me. Like I’m important enough for their cosmic attention. Their beautiful constellations flickering like candles as they tell the stories of forever ago. I like to lay in the darkness, letting the dewy grass soak my clothes as I contemplate the meaning of the stars. 

Apus flies by above me, it's great glittering wings reminding me it's ok to be misunderstood. It's ok to be wrong and still be accepted. After all, Apus herself was misunderstood, but she still flies proudly, her great wings glittering as she flits past me.

The sky is Casseopia’s great mirror. Her beauty reflects itself in the night sky. Her glittering eyes see me just as I see her: beautiful. She reminds me that I’m allowed to be beautiful and a little vain, and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

Draco chases Apus’s beautiful feathers as she sheds them in flight. His great puffs of starry fire light up my eyes, and his strong figure reminds me that bravery doesn’t have to be heroic. Sometimes, it can just be protecting what you love. 

Ursa Major smiled down upon me, her pained eyes glittering with tears reminding me that sacrifice is sometimes worth it, as love is worth more than any punishment. Her child, Ursa Minor, watches his mother, his questioning glance letting me know that it's ok not to understand everything.

Hercules dances before me, his strong arms holding tight to the sky. He whispers to me that strength isn’t the absence of weakness, but the ability to work with it. 

Pegasus joins Apus in flight, and together their glittering forms dot the sky. He winks and warns me that one’s origins don’t determine their future. 

The scorpion’s horrid tail lashes out at Orion with shimmering poison, warning me that sometimes, running from fear can have disastrous consequences. 

Their nightly advice coats my throat like oil, allowing my senses relief from the struggles of the day. They console me, my cosmic family, and bring me peace and hope for each coming day.

I wanted to write something pure, something hopeful, in a climate where hope isn't always the forefront emotion. 

on Mar. 17 2022 at 10:17 pm
samantha934 SILVER, Homewood, Illinois

@ChompChomp123, Thank you so so much!

on Feb. 7 2022 at 5:55 pm
ChompChomp123 BRONZE, Phoniex, Arizona

“In madness lies sanity.” - Alan Watts

I love this sooooo much!!! @samantha934, you're extremely talented!!!! keep writing!!!!!