My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

February 28, 2019
By 0rogers SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
0rogers SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Morgan Gail R.  It was a name given to me by my parents from a big book of Irish names. It means of the sea. Morgan is the color pink; Bright and fun like the sky, but also warm and calm like the ocean. It's the feeling you get when your favorite song comes on and you can't help but to break out into a dance.


Morgan Freeman. The welcoming voice that sounds on the tv telling stories or narrating the next big documentary. A voice of reliability and comfort.  I've been told by a few people that they've never met a girl named Morgan before, but i've never met another boy named Morgan. I often I get called megan by older people who can't hear very well, but that's not my name.


My aunt likes to think she named me….. and everyone else in my family; she didn't. My friends call me names like Mo or Mowgli and my younger cousins call me Mogan. My name isn't good for nicknames.


I wish I could change my name to something more unique. I name with more character, a name that no one else has. At least that's what I was thinking before this, before I knew the beauty of my name.

 

Morgan is easy going. She likes to have fun and never makes time to hold grudges.People often tell me I have a beautiful name, but i don't see it. It's an okay name and all, but it's not something i'd call beautiful. Usually they go on to tell a story about their niece or sister that has the same name. Sometimes it just reminds them of a happy time or someone they use to know.


It's like the number 9. Similar to cats Morgans have 9 lives. We have near death experiences and come out without a scratch. It's a good luck charm; a name to have in risky situations. An on going joke that ironically has been true so far, but not all of us have all 9 left. I've got 8 thanks to a car accident.


I always thought I wanted to be named after someone important, but now im glad that i'm not. Morgan is just me. I wasn't named after my mother or my grandmother, i'm just me. I like to be my own person and not follow in another's footsteps. I like not having the pressure of trying to be like others who have the same name.


I've thought about other names for myself like Jessica or Hayden, but none of them quite fit. Some are too bold or too boring. Now that i've explored the feelings and imagery of my name and I don't know what i'd be if I wasn't a Morgan.