The Next Victim | Teen Ink

The Next Victim

By isabella_tolentino BRONZE, Oak Park, California
isabella_tolentino BRONZE, Oak Park, California

I can’t believe what I discovered. The news is so overbearing, that I am forced to hide. If I am ever found, my life will be over. After all, I’m trapped in a building with a crazy murderer. I never would have thought people like this exist, but I never realized how often I hear about them. Most of my friends have had run ins with them and only now are we discovering the truth. I can’t believe I didn’t notice it before, though. My teachers at school say I am very smart. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone told me I’m at the top of my class. Even so, although we’ve had instances with people like this before, we never really thought about it. Yet, here I am now, hovering in a corner, with a blanket and a giant stuffed animal as protection. I can’t let them find me here. I absolutely can not.

Moments ago, I thought this murderer and their companion was my friend. I now know I was wrong. The instant their little announcement left their mouths, I was doomed. There were no words to describe how shocked I was. I couldn’t just speak my mind, though. What if they came for me next? So, I did the rational thing and responded cooly to their surprising news. Then, after promptly excusing myself, I quickly made my way here, where I have proceeded to hide for what seems like forever. Maybe I’ll end up spending my whole life under this blanket, hiding. At least, until the bad guys are gone.

Perhaps I should explain what horrifying news I have heard. The very idea of thinking about it makes my bones shiver, though. This is due to the fact that I hung out with these people, not knowing what they were capable of. Now, everything is exposed and I know what they do: these vile people eat children. This could be the whole reason why they wanted me here; I’m the next victim.

Since I have been with them, however, I know all their methods. First, they pretended to be friends with me. Then, they fed me and provided a place for me to sleep. I can expect that when my guard is down, they will eat me.

Still, I can’t shake the fact that I used to think they were nice. But, I guess everything was only a facade. After all, they only want to eat me. They said it themselves. Well, not entirely, but I got their hint. Why else would they let me in on their horrid secret? It’s just what they did. They notified their next victim of their deeds and before they can tattle: they eat them. Why did it have to be me, though? What did I do to deserve to be here? I thought the leader and her companion liked me, but I guess I was wrong. I mean, the leader was always a bit cranky, anyway. She would bark orders all the time and her companion would rush at her every word. Still, I really thought they liked me.

Footsteps begin to echo from outside the door to the room I am currently hiding in. My heart hammers into my chest. No, I don’t want to die. I don’t know what happens after I die, but I do know I don’t want to be eaten. From behind the sturdy, white door, voices appear muffled.

“Tonight,” a voice asks; their tone like a whisper from behind the wooden barrier, “what’s for dinner?”

“I don’t know. I’m craving…” a higher pitched voice responds, “something with meat.”

The second voice sounds like the leader and I strain to hear what she says. The words being spoken become too soft and jumbled, though, as they’re stifled by the door. Nonetheless, I eventually pick up some words.

“… I’ll even cook it myself,” I hear the leader offer.

“Okay,” the first voice says. “Let’s go get Alex, then.”

I had little time to react before a creak was heard from across the room. Startled, I duck farther behind my protections. I leave a little hole for me to spy through and as I peek in the direction of the sound, I see two shadows.

“Alex? Are you in here?” the leader’s voice resonates in the room. I don’t dare reply.

“We need your help with dinner,” her companion adds. I sink further into the giant stuffed animal, which camouflages in a flock of other plush toys.

After a moment, the shadows shift and in the room appear two figures. If they search a little more, I know they’ll find me. Oh, I’m a goner.

I remember when the leader told me the news. She and her companion seemed ecstatic that she had a child in her stomach. How could I forget such a terrible thing? I, a child, can not be happy with them, though, if they enjoy eating kids. After all, I could be next anytime. What am I saying? I am next! They’ve gone hungry and are set on finding me. This could be my last words before I go.

If I must leave, then the least I could do is release the names of these people so everyone knows who to steer away from. Their names are Mom and Dad and I hope everyone keeps an eye out for them. It’s not hard to spot the leader, Mom. Eating whole children makes her stomach big. At least, until she finishes digesting them, I guess.

Mom and Dad are coming closer and I think they see me. I can hear myself breathing and my face grows warm. I begin to sweat like a popsicle in the hot, summer sun. A drop of salty liquid slides into my eye and I blink quickly, scared to obscure my vision. A second later, when I open my eyes again, two gloomy figures loom over my hiding spot. I can feel my face go white.

“Alex!” the leader sings in a shrill voice. My breath catches in my throat.

Then, in one swift movement, air whooshes around me. My yanked-away blanket leaves me exposed and I stare with round eyes as the leader and her companion peer down at me.

“So, what do you think of the news?” the leader, or Mom, asks. I’m in too much shock to reply. My heart pounds loudly in my chest and the palms of my hands become sticky.

“Aren’t you excited to get a sibling?” Dad says. I lean away from them and inhale a long, shaky breath.

In my mind, I have come to a conclusion. I decided the leader and her companion can eat me if they want. Hopefully, though, I’ll make the leader so full, she won’t eat anyone else. Then, there won’t be a next victim.

This short story is told in first person as the main character has just received horrifying news and is now trying to cope. The Next Victim is a short piece for those who enjoy suspense.