Stolen Society | Teen Ink

Stolen Society

November 28, 2018
By Fedoraboy SILVER, West Jordan, Utah
Fedoraboy SILVER, West Jordan, Utah
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Not every quick tongued fool is a hero in disguise."
-Brandon Sanderson (best author ever)


New York, New York; a perfect place for robberies and muggings. Once you live here for longer than a week you learn not to carry a wallet on you. It just so happened that I commonly forgot this rule; after all, it was only a guideline, wasn't it? Regardless, it was a rule to live by proven by the fact that I just got mugged. The robbery was pretty basic just the quick click of a gun to my back, a silent whisper of breath on my neck and the shuffling of hands in pockets searching for a wallet to pass back. No words were exchanged: None were needed. We both new what to do, we had both done it and it had been done to both of them before. Smiling, I reflected on what I had just done.

Was it smart to con a thief? Probably not and he would soon realize I had given him a cheap velcro wallet from Walmart filled with old pieces of scrap paper. Sure, I would have to buy a new one, but what's a dollar compared to the five I had in my wallet.

The reason I was so careful with it is because I lived on the east side of town. Land of the slums they called it. The poor people all lived there it was like a tradition. Only this was forced by the poor people's own  repetition. You see, the muggings are the reasons people stay alive. I just wish there were more people doing it in the right spots. What happens is a poor person gets mugged then the mugger becomes “rich”, or what we think is rich based on comparing it to ourselves, for a time, the mugger can support his family but then that same mugger is robbed and so it continues.

My thoughts drifted and I wondered what would happen if the muggers all robbed the rich people. Would we all have enough money? No it wouldn't be that simple. See the rich people all quarantine themselves from the Poors by living in the west part of town. It was common knowledge that anyone who traveled in between boundaries with the pretense of evil doings would be killed or sued. Likewise anyone who crossed the border with the pretense of being invited would therefore be shunned from their past communities. These unspoken rules were so strong that not even families could proclaim to still be in touch with their lost loved ones, dead or alive.

There was the occasional exception to the rule when one enters a public building grudgingly shared by the Poors and the Richies; for example, the school. It may seem fair at first that we could both enter the schools but even that wasn't as simple as it seemed. To keep the rule the builders of the school built them in a horizontal line directly on the border. The Poors had to come in through the back slanted doors, covered in soot while the Richies could enter into the school through the pristine white doors with a large marble staircase leading up to it: It was as if the Richies were given a laid out red carpet in a mansion and the Poors were given the back of a rusty shed.

Once in the building, however, it was different. True the boundary stopped working, but the Richies were often the popular kids while the Poors were even lower than the Nerds and Geeks of the Richies. Now just called the Disgraced. As far as I could tell there was only one thing good about school. Allison. Smart, pretty and, unfortunately, popular. yes, I like a Pop, a Richie, a biased superior.

Despite my views and expectations of what I thought she should be like, she wasn't anything like them. Allison had ginger hair with bright blue eyes and a warm smile that even on your worst day would make you reveal all your secrets. I try to ignore her, try not to look, but it's impossible. A few years ago she noticed me. She was brave, braver than I was. In all the years I had stared longingly at the mystery presented to me, so close and yet separated by a sea of stereotypes that I could do nothing but hope to someday cross. In one foul swoop she stood up from her post at the envied rich table and crossed the sea pulling a chair and popping down on it with a glistening smile and a wink in my direction. To this day the Richies resented her though they could not find a reason to disgrace her. After all the school was a “free” zone. Now disliked she was able to “hang out with me”, something I still can't fully comprehend. I mean in all respect she is the trash of the world, the I’m too good for anyone else people, and yet she had crossed the threshold and she had started her hero's journey: How would that affect me?


I walked into school and immediately found Allison waiting, her shoulder leaning against the rusty gate. Her maroon shirt accentuated her hair, which was highlighted by the sun shining through the crack I had produced between me and the world.

“Hey,” she spoke, It was quick and precise but also had a hint of compassion like she really wanted to know what I was up too: A trait I was unfamiliar with.

“Hey,” I grunted.

My voice definentally portrayed the contrast of our personalities.

“Hey, Weasel,” Fitz said. Fitz was my other friend. He was surprisingly a stark contrast from both me and Allison.

“Whats up, Fitz?” I asked.

It was unusual for Fitz not to have a complete knowledge of whatever was happening at the current moment. Somehow Fitz, whose real name was Fitzgerald, had for lack of a better term spies among the school in both the poor and the rich sections. No one knew how he did it just that the rich gossip was something hard to come by and was worth bank by Fitz’s standards. With no other way of making money he had to get his cash somehow and for some reason people payed. Aside from the fact that we were separated we liked to know what was going on. Fitz provided that. This made him able to fraternize with the Richies. That did not necessarily mean that he could talk to them and keep his own skin. Fitz had done the impossible, he had found a way to run business that everyone needed a part of. The Richies need info from the Poors to make sure everything ran smoothly, and their own gossip stayed safe. The Poors need the gossip in order to learn what exactly the rich parents were doing. Despite my observations with pickpocketing the people did steal from the rich. They needed this information to succeed. Only experts, the ones who could get in and out were the ones allowed into the crews that would steal hundreds of dollars or more at a time. Not much for the Richies but enough to support a family of Poors for a year. Aside from our misfortune we knew one thing; We knew how to survive.  

 

Undeterred by Fitz’s claim he would not give me information for free, I had persisted, and I now knew what was happening. It was silly of Fitz to think he could keep information from me, after all my nickname was Weasle, and it fit well. Though I couldn't be at the moment I longed to be part of the groups to take down the rich, being adorned by the praise of a modern Robin Hood. Children, however, were not allowed to join these groups, an injustice I wanted to demolish even more than the border itself.

Allison disapproved of the thieving groups, she knew nothing of my desire and even not knowing why, I had always felt a stab of pain at having to lie to her. I suppose most people would call what I had with her a crush, something childish, miniscule, unimportant, but no, I knew it to be more than that. I haven't told Fitz, I understood, that with his bad habits he could be trusted not to tell anyone. For one think what people would say. Not only was she a Richie and I a Poor but we were only 15 in fact she was 17. Most people would dismiss this as hormones, but not before using it to their advantage. I couldn't let that happen, I wouldn’t let her get hurt. Especially not on my behalf, and so I lied.

It was after school and I had begin my trek home. As I normally did, I planned to go home and read a book. Most people despise books, but not me. I've loved them ever since I was a kid. They took me out of my home, out of my world in which the Poors and the Richies were separated to a land where everyone was free, the way America was intended to be. I did not like, however, the rain that had begun to drizzle down from the cloudy sky, emitting a perfect reflection of my inner turmoil. Allison, and unsurprisingly Fitz had warned me about this. They knew, like everyone else in the school my extreme loathing for the rain. This stemmed from the fact that I absolutely never! Wore sweatshirts they were crowded and itchy and they always rubbed against your skin in a way that was different from the comfortable caress of a tight shirt revealing muscles you didn't know you had, making you look tough, one of the only ways to survive in this world: Intimidation. Sweatshirts covered you up, made you look weak, pathetic, vulnerable. I shivered from the cold but continued forward. I was told the rain wouldn't continue for more than a few minutes despite the consistently cloudy sky. I shuffled into a nearby bar. I assumed that being in the warmth would immediately return me to my senses, but I was naive. I did not get better. It was true I was warmer, but my wet clothes brought shivers to me. Without a sweatshirt I could not take my wet clothes off. Worth it, I thought, I would rather be cold then have to wear one of those. Resigning myself to the shivers I found my way to the table and ordered a water. I was too young to drink but at least pretending would make me look “bad” enough to avoid trouble. After all, bars were often unpredictable places.

There were only 3 people in that bar. I analyzed everyone in the room, a habit I had earned through the slums and my own stupidity. The first drinker sipped a little but didn't fully drink, it was apparent he wanted to stay clear headed. The man was also a coward. I gathered this from the way he sat; And his darting eyes told me I was correct. His left arm rested on the table gripping his bottle while his right sat on his lap. Occasionally, the man would shift to drink but it was clear that he wasn't all that comfortable. The mans chair had been pulled back and to the side allowing him the advantage of a table, or lack thereof. It was clear he planned to run. He sat close to the door his rightmost finger twitching. I followed his gaze engrossed in the prospect of witnessing something even if it was pathetic.

In my haste it appeared I had turned my senses off oblivious to what was going on. The third customer, now standing beside me clapped a hand on my shoulder. I hadn't even noticed the man had moved.

“It's good,” he spoke. “What your doing you know.”

He stretched his hand along the table, and I tensed, eyes now focused on the man's arm. He laughed and shifted his arm to the bowl of peanuts in the center of the table.

“If it's so good” I spoke twisting back to my observations. “Why don't you let me do it.”

“Oof” he grunted in mock embarrassment.

Apparently the man wanted to talk as now he decided he should tell me how to analyze people “properly.”

“As you might have guessed from the way you've been studying him the man in the corner is about to pick the pocket of the guy in front of him.”

At that moment, as if on cue the first customer stood and made his way to the bar to order another drink. Clearly not intoxicated yet the man tried to act as if he was stumbling over himself and laughing loudly at his own muttered jokes.

“Yes not very good is he?” remarked the man. “The names Grub.”

It was as if he was just now remembering his manners, just when someone was crying out in alarm and chasing the pickpocket down for his wallet.

“You know, it's considered polite to shake a mans hand when he's just introduced himself.”

I'd consider myself a very level headed person especially when it comes to actions. This time however, I was not very level headed, and in fact realised he had been sitting there with his hand outstretched looking like a complete fool for at least a minute. Shocked, I did nothing but numbly take his hand in my own and mumble

“Evan.”

“Well Evan I have an employment proposal for you.”

“Employment?”

“Yes, don't worry you already have the skills necessary to start.”

Bewildered, I accepted, and I didnt know at the time, but I had just joined the only thieving crew to accept children in all of new york.


Fitz was exuberant. He was the first person I told. I made him swear he wouldn't spread anything though I doubt he would follow through with that promise. It didn't matter, nobody would believe a 15 year old boy had joined a thieving crew, it was simply unheard of. I didn't know the specifics, and if I had I wouldn't have told Fitz; But it was clear Grub wanted me to talk people into joining. Grub had hinted at me getting  team of kids together for his heist, it was a strange concept, but the idea of it kept coming back to me. I daydreamed about prancing about in the rich society under the cover of darkness leading my team of Avengers to the money hidden unjustly. I knew at once who I would call to action. My list was only 3 people but it seemed like it was enough, and besides they were the only ones I knew I could trust.

Fitz was first on my list. We called him the candy man. Fitz and his extraordinary ability to think up stuff on the spot and somehow get anything you want made him perfect for the job. My second man for the job was the fabled hardman. His real name was jay and he had a kind of six sense when it came to tools hence the name hardman, plus he was also huge.

Though you don't always see them interact. Thieves and actors have a long history of working together, and I knew that any major heist planned would need an actor. One good enough for no one to be able to name. We called him mask. I hadn't told them what I was planning yet, though I was sure I could get them to do it. They all wanted to see this society fall.

I walked out of school with a renewed purpose leaving Allison at the door. Fitz was following me. Though he tried, Fitz was not very covert and his shoes slapped along the wet sidewalk. Smiling to myself I led him to the meeting place I had set up previously with Grub. It was now two days since our meeting, and I was growing more and more anxious. The park was crowded. I found Grub in the shadow offered by a sturdy oak and sat on the bench close enough To him to be just barely heard over the parks noise.

“I assume you see him.” I initiated.

“Yes I do. Though i'm happy you took the hint and gathered a team of your own I dont think he’s the right person to do the sneaking around.”

I caught movement in his direction and saw a smirk briefly cross his face.

“I agree” I started “he has a lot of, uncommon, information.”

Satisfied with Fitz he shifted slightly.

“Gather your team” He spoke “Meet me tomorrow at this address.”

By the end of his sentence Grub had moved and dropped a paper in my lap. Now out of the shadows I got a good look at the man, obviously a bit worse for wear, Grub looked to be about 45 with a buzz cut and a few extra pounds added on. He wasn't fat in any way, but he had a belly that stuck out a bit. Sighing I let my smile fold out on my face and moved to where Fitz was hiding. In a desperate move he scrambled out of the bush an embarrassed look on his face that gave him away. Noticing me he lowered his eyes in a downcast expression.

“So you caught me” he resigned “don't worry I didn't hear anything.”

That of course, was true. I smiled because I knew if he had heard something he would have been so excited at joining the cause he would have rushed up and hugged poor Grub. So it was little surprise when he rushed up to hug me upon hearing the news. We went over the list stopping at Masks house first. After knocking we heard a grunt and a “just a minute” we could only assume to be Mask. He appeared as an old man, As the oldest of us all, and with a bit of makeup he appeared to be at least 35 with a full grown beard and a distant expression. He, like I knew he would, agree to the heist; and we moved on.


It was some time before we were all together. Sitting at the round table were all the members of my team as well as 3 more. I took the time to study them, and discovered one, a businessman, was obviously not familiar with kids but instead with money. The second man had the appearance of a bodybuilder, and I expected him to be the mussel, a just-in-case precaution. The third adult was Grub, and I assumed him to lead. There was a good chance he would be the getaway driver. He carefully examined every one of my members analysing them. Then he found me. Immediately his eyes stared into my soul and he held my gaze for longer than was comfortable. I shifted in my seat and he grinned. It was of some relief when he spoke up.

“Well, we are missing someone but we will have to start without them.”

The blueprint, which I assumed to be for the building we were to rob, sat directly in front of me on the table. I looked over it nodding to myself. The small blueprint was exceedingly complex, and had an air of impossibility to it. I grinned. I always loved complex cons; And with any luck this would be no different.

“As you can see there are two doors and only one window. This will be a stealth operation but in the middle of the day. So no black.”

By “black” it was clear; at least to us Thieves, that this mission would be out in the open, and that the chances of us not getting caught, were less than if it were night. I caught Masks gaze and nodded, we knew it would be a challenge, and he was the most likely to quit on us. He however, seemed fine, or was that just another act. He was good.

At that moment the door opened, and a pompous puff parade of sparkles entered the room. Her entrance took the breath away of all the young men in the room, and the adults seemed just as engrossed. Grub however just smiled affectionately as if he were glad for her sudden presence to be taken so wonderfully. This I realised with a shock, was the last member of the crew.

“Hello,” she spoke her words drawn out in a flirty way obviously toying with the men's emotions. With some shock, I realised I was almost completely immune, unlike all the others, I did not find this girl to be anything more than an irritating asset that would drive the men up the walls. It was clear to me that she thought mask was an adult; And because of his disguise I couldn't blame her. She regarded me with some whimsical attraction and a smile to match. It seems like Grub and i, she too seemed to notice she did not affect me the same way and seemed to enjoy the challenge of attracting me. With that so obviously in mind she sat in the remaining chair with her smooth legs folding gently before her short shorts. I tore my eyes away. She was pretty I admit but for some reason I couldn't get Allison out of my head. Just as well I thought. I needed to keep my priorities straight and focus on the heist.

“Alright boys” he started.

There was a long grumble of men's voices as they tore their eyes away looking at the ugly man.

“you can see the blueprint so pay attention, here's how I plan to do it.”

“Question.” one of the adults proclaimed.

“Yes” Grub asked eyes rolling to the man in the suit.

“Will she be joining us?” he questioned gesturing to the much younger girl.

“No of course not you creepy buffoon. Anyway here's the list. We start with reconacense, me and Evan will scout out the area and find weak points. Next is the preparation, Fitz and Mask will head up first and with the help of makeup pass off as the work crew for the next night. In only a few hours John here will arrive to collect money and complete the business deals. The night of the heist everything is going to be down to Evans team.”

I looked up. Everyone in the room was looking at me. He continued.

“It will be the dedication night for the ball, and the security guard at the vault will be a handful, that's where Ruby will come in. Her job will be to coax the security guard into leaving, so the men can continue the job. Evan she's a member of your team. If you see a better way to do things, your in charge. Evan, I hear you have an enormous talent for safe picking, So you will be on the outside. Fitz can you get us tools, hard cutters with a great deal of power?”

“Sure thing.” he answered

“Good, Hardman and Mask will show up and get to work. Mask will distract the manager while hardman fixes the reinforced walls and cuts it up providing us with an entrance. Manny here,” he said gesturing to the muscle guy. “Will be in charge of breaking the destroyed wall off. Fitz you and I will be in the van with the EMP. Evan once in; You have to open the vault and que us. We will hit the EMP and the alarms should go off.”

Should I thought warily.

“Once the EMP goes off you will have exactly 20 seconds to get the cash and get out. It should be in hundred dollar bills so it can't be that hard.”

His choice in the word should wasn't encouraging, and he said the last sentence like it should solve everything, but we trusted him.

“Any questions?” he asked. None of us nodded.


We met again. Grub sat with his back against the hideout in all black. It was already dark out and the sky had begun to drizzle forcing me into a hoodie. It would be a long night of watching and waiting. We got going immediately crossing the town toward the border marked by trees. My only comfort in wearing a hoodie was that tonight, if all went according to plan no one would see me. I recognized the danger I faced. If I was spotted I would be killed in the streets and left to rot. Nevertheless I continued stepping quietly behind Grub. He had done this before. It was clear by the way he moved with confidence. He stopped suddenly. I narrowly avoided crashing into him.

“Here we are.” he whispered. “You take left i'll take right.”

I was surprised at how much faith he had in me, but before I could protest he was gone; Silently moving his steps muffled on the damp ground.

I started out, heading toward the left side of the bank. There seemed to be a small party being celebrated in it and women in gowns kept stumbling out roaring drunk. I thought the dedication was tomorrow. Grub will want to hear about the party if he doesn't know already. That man was astonishingly good at sneaking up on people. I meandered through the alleyway careful not to be seen in my poor garb. The forested area vanished as I emerged into the streets. No sidewalks, I noted cars flew by and I ducked behind a bush; but not before someone saw me. Someone pretty, someone different. Allison. Or maybe she didn't see me I thought, staring at her through the bush. She didn't look at me. Why is she there? I questioned. Did it matter? This was dangerous if she saw me what would she think? I jumped up and ran to another bush keeping myself hidden from the Richies. Then I was seen. By a drunk guy. My fear overpowered me; And I pounced knocking him down with my fist. No blood, I remarked. Slightly embarrassed I pulled his clothes off and threw them on myself. Grub would want to know what's going on in there.


I was in. I still couldn't believe it. I had gotten in pretty easily, but it was dangerous. People stared, and I thought my unshaven scruff was a dead give away. Someone patted me on the back; and I turned.

“Trying to grow it out huh?”

The man was drunk; But I answered with a mumble anyway. I found the wall across the room from the vault; and pretended to study a mural there. Everything looked good.

“Yes darling that is a nice painting.”

I turned noting the couple behind me. It was Allison’s family and she stood directly in front of me pointing out a painting. Crap I thought turning my head.

“Relax i'm distracting them” She whispered in my ear.

I was shocked. She knew. She was going to kill me!

“Thanks” I whispered back. Keep calm I told myself as I scrambled for the exit. That was close; too close.


The day of the heist had come. I had skipped school to do this. It also had the perk of Allison, or rather not talking to her. Everything was ready. I sat in the van with Grub, Manny, Fitz, Ruby, and a large EMP. Hardman and Mask just hopped out and rounded the building to the front. I was ready. Manny and I hopped out and followed in the light. I wore the suit I had gotten from the night before, and I was there at the wall with the creepy a silent brute. My only comfort being the crackled voice of my peers.

“Entering the building” Hardman spoke.

His voice was distorted through the headset I was wearing.

“Good evening” Mask started.

His voice was odley gentlemanly for a Poor.

“We are here for the wall repair.”

A few muffled mmhmms and uhhuhs came over the mic; And I tensed. I didn't know what I expected an answer to be; But I was scared the manager wouldn't let them work. They were; after all, early. Despite of my terror it was unfounded as the manager agreed. Mask was obviously, very good at his job. A loud ear-grinding noise broke out over the mic.

“Mask!” Grub cursed. “Get that mic away from Hardman.”

I struggled against the loud noise.

“Mask!” He hissed.

The drill increased.

I couldn't hear anything. I ripped the mic off and threw it to the ground. The wall broke and light poured out enveloping me. Manny stepped forward grabbing the wall and slamming his side into it. It broke free easily. I was in. Ruby walked down the hall, and it took a massive effort not to stare at the silky red dress.

“Hello captain” she spoke.

“Hurry up” I grumbled back.

That was harsh. Maybe a little too harsh.

“Fine then”

Ruby shrugged and moved toward the guard in the hall. I wasn't sure what happened, but I was glad I didn't have to watch. Within a few minutes Ruby returned, practically dragging a slurring bodyguard by the arm. The EMP went off. The lights followed blinking then going out. He was early! I sprung into motion sprinting down the hall. There's the safe. Thank goodness I thought arriving at the safe. The lock was the same type of lock he had practiced with for years. No wonder Grub wanted me here. In less time then the intoxicated guard was seduced and drawn away I had the safe open. Cash stared back at me. Cold hard cash. I flipped my suit jacket off reversing it. I formed a impromptu bag and started shovelling the bills in. I heard Fitz. What was he doing down here.

“As you can see” Fitz was saying. “The bank is certainly locked and secure.”

He rounded the corner. I slammed the vault door shut. It sealed. I looked around for an exit, but of course there were none. Finally settling myself down I tried to save my oxygen. Fitz would get me out I told myself. Sure enough just as I was losing faith. Fitz came through, or rather his saw did. It took most of an hour to get me out and I was relieved to finally hand the money to Grub.

It wasn't till the next morning I got word of Grub and Ruby bailing with the cash.

“Mr heart.” the officer said “We found this headphone with your fingerprint on the ground outside a bank recently stolen from.”

The officer acted as if the poor part of town didn't exist. How very wrong he was. I felt numb, so I didnt respond. They let me off charges through the no correlation between evidence and crime law. They glared as I left the precinct. Allison greeted me. She had forgiven me. All was right in the world, except. I would never rest. I had sought an opportunity. Grub had instead left me with a bounty. I would never be safe again. I would never stop watching for the people who would come to kill me. After all; I had made a lot of Richies mad.


The author's comments:

The inspiration for this project originated both from a desire to write and from a flowing short story. As my first work published I hope to gain experience and eventually expertise.