Banging Out | Teen Ink

Banging Out

November 2, 2018
By Anonymous

Father’s mind was in turmoil. Father’s arms and legs were on the verge of collapsing. Father was more drunk than high. Father’s voice and speech were slurred. Father’s mind is full of anger and sadness. Father’s mind was full of hatred. Father was ready to release. Son walks through the door. Father picks himself up. Father staggers towards son. Father throws his frustration on son. Father stumbles back and collapses. Son picks himself up. Son drags himself to his room. Son Opens door and slams it. Father echos gibberish and slurs. Son places headphones on head.

      He’s on stage. He's playing with the best. He’s banging out tunes left and right. His name echos across the crowd. The crowd mimics the sound of a thousand thunders.The crowd shouts his name over and over. The crowds voices become one. The crowds voice becomes familiar.

Father kicks the door open. Son’s headphones are pulled out and thrown out the window. His device is thrown by Father. Father releases again. Father hits son with such furious anger, that not even God could compare. Father’s hits are consistent. Son grasps onto what little hope and music he can. Son is tired. Father is tired. Father is angry. Father wields something. Father’s hits get stronger and harder. Son’s grip loosens. Son hears and feels the music. Son sees the bright skies. Son lets go.