Pitch dark | Teen Ink

Pitch dark

June 13, 2018
By nicjebrown BRONZE, Charlottetown, Pennsylvania
nicjebrown BRONZE, Charlottetown, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a Tuesday afternoon and the clouds where starting to gather like cows being called for there meal. The weather was “supposed” to stay clear all throughout the night. My mother and I drove all the way up to Tignish in our red van to play a hockey game. Despite losing this game, I had scored two goals. When we got in the van to go home, the night had quickly come upon us. The forecast must have changed because it was snowing already. Everything was smooth cruising until we approached Hunter-River.


All of a sudden a high pitch squealing noise erupted throughout the van. I had immediately covered my ears to protect them from the noise that sounded like a dying pig. Throughout the van, you could smell what seemed to be burning rubber. Immediately after we pulled over on the side of the road. At this point, the storm had started to come down much heavier.


After trying to continue to drive the van the sound and smell kept happening. For fear that we would harm the van, even more, we decided it was best to not continue driving. Neither my mother or I knew anything about cars we had to call the nearest towing company. The wind had started to pick up and the snow was drifting everywhere. The van kept shaking from side to side by the furious winds.


Afterward, the tow truck had arrived and had lifted the van on to the truck. However, there was only one other passenger seat in the truck. Because of this, my mother would be the one to head into town with the driver and I would have to wait for another drive out in the storm.


After my mother left with the tow truck man I was left alone on the side of the road. Meanwhile, the storm was still coming down. The roaring wind made everything much worse considering I only had the dress clothes from the game earlier and a thin team jacket. At the same time, I had to squint due to the whipping of the snow on my face. We ended waiting on the side of the road to what seemed to be hours.


I could see a small flashing light nearby, approaching me. It wasn't my ride however it was a police car that had seen me stranded on the side of the road being devoured by the vicious cold storm. I went to open the door but couldn't. I could no longer feel my hands, they became frozen like ice. After several attempts, I finally managed to get the door open and into the warmth of the patrol car. The officer had offered to bring me home since my drive was clearly not coming anytime soon.


The conditions of the storm were making it very difficult to arrive at our destination. The snow was drifting all over the road making it near impossible to see the road or any other vehicles approaching us. This was making me feel very nervous that something bad could happen. I had begun to panic but did not show any emotion in the car.


Suddenly, a bright light started coming towards us in the distance faster and faster. The officer had put on his lights to try and signal the other driver that we were also on the road. Despite this attempt, it was already too late. The snow plow struck our car and sent us rolling in the ditch landing upside down. The officer got knocked out right away. I stayed conscious throughout the whole scene but smashed my head on the window and could taste the blood in my mouth. I needed assistance and I was once again left out in the vicious storm.