The Magicians Daughter 2: Into the Wind | Teen Ink

The Magicians Daughter 2: Into the Wind

By Little_boy_brown_65 BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Little_boy_brown_65 BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

Avery pulled on her wetsuit and jumped into the frigid arctic water, while the dinghy that brought her there sped off. As she descended she laid her eyes on the target, the EML Lembit, a Soviet submarine transporting a ton and a half of of weapons anrations to the Nazis. Her mission, blow it to pieces. She was offered back up or at the very least a look out, but she laughed it off saying “I only work alone”. As she reached the surface, she peered through the window and saw two soldiers in uniform. She made sure not to be noticed and planted one of the remote explosive charges. She then made her way to the back of the sub, careful not to get sucked in by the rotors, and planted two charges, one on either side. She then planted a charge in line with the first one but on the opposing side. She then placed the final two right on the head of the ship, above the engine. She then quickly ascended, the charges were set. She made to the exfil, a small glacier where she had previously hidden a small biplane, rigged with explosives just in case. But something was wrong, she could sense it, she quickly pulled out her .22 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic pistol, but it was too late. Four armed soldiers wearing body armor, arctic face paint, and military grade combat boots, exited their hiding spots in the ice. They were each carrying a Simonov AVS 36, standard issue used by the KGB. Avery knew she had no choice but to surrender, as they screamed at her in Russian she knew what she had to do. She snuck the detonator out of her back pocket and switched it from the charges set on the sub to the plane. As they were about to grab her she blew it. She was carried by the blast in to the frigid Arctic waters and blacked out.

Avery awoke in the infirmary, her head pounding and her body bruised and covered in bandages. As she looked passed the monitor gently beeping to her heart rate, her heart sank as she saw a women reading the newspaper in the chair next to her bed. Underneath the date, November 15, 1941, the headline read “60 soldiers dead due to new Axis weaponry”, she knew that they would still be alive if she hadn't messed up. The woman reading the paper looked up and noticed that Avery had awoken. She was tall, very tall, about 6’2”, had short brown hair, and wore a navy blue pant suit. She looked to be in her late 50s or early 60s.

As she opened her mouth to speak Avery noticed she had a slight belfast accent.

“It's a shame isn't it, 60 men, dead because of your arrogance, that's 60 families who aren't going to see their father, their brother, their husband, and it’s all your fault”.

Avery tried to speak in protest, but she was cut off before she could even utter a word. “This isn't the first time you’ve played it fast and loose with the rules, you’re suspended from all missions until further notice.” And with that she left.

Eleven months later Avery was fully recovered and ready to be back in the field again. As she walked into the debriefing room at the CIA HQ in New York City, she saw the same lady that visited her in the infirmary and another man, he was looked about 22, tall, tan, but quite scrawny. The lady asked them both to take a seat. As they sat she  began introducing herself,

“My name is Director Webber, after the events in Chicago, The CIA has decided to break off into two pieces one remaining the CIA and the other a covert black ops division, specializing in ‘off the books’ missions, our name, The Phoenix foundation”.

“Next order of business, Avery, I would like you to meet a temporary agent on loan to us by CISEN, and your new partner for the next couple of missions.”

Avery’s face went from confused to enraged,

“I know you’re new here, but, what the hell, I work alone!” Avery yelled.

“Not anymore” She replied, “You two are dismissed” She said, pointing at the door.

As they left he introduced himself,

“Hey, I’m Carlos, It’s nice to be working with you” He said politely.

“Listen up, You seem like a nice guy, but I work alone, so just stay out of my way and we’ll get along just fine”. Avery exited the building, slamming the door and

Avery went back to her studio apartment in the lower east side of Manhattan. As she was walking to the Bodega across the street she saw a black Pontiac Metropolitan Torpedo Six parked suspiciously close to her apartment, with the headlights off and two men inside, both tall, one with a scar going through his left eye down his cheek. She made a note of it, got her groceries, and went back inside, when she woke up the next morning, the car was gone and replaced by a van that read “Lou’s Heating and Cooling” along the side. As she was walking down the stairs she saw the same two men who were in the car last night in a blue jumpsuit. She knew that something was wrong. She saw both of them reach into their tool box and she dived behind cover, the two men both pulled out a TT-33 Russian service pistol with a silencer screwed onto the muzzle. As they began to open fire and move towards her makeshift cover, now riddled with bullets, she dived and combat rolled past them, then grabbed a nearby pipe and smashed the kneecap of the goon closest to her. As he went down she grabbed his gun and quickly put a bullet in both of their skulls, when she went to go confirm the kill, she saw one of their fingers twitch and instinctively unloaded the rest of the magazine into their limp bodies. She dragged both of their bodies into her apartment, careful to lay down a tarp first, so she didn’t get blood everywhere.  After she got both of their massive bodies inside, she poured herself a cup of aged bourbon, as she sipped her drink, she called director Webber.

“Hello, you’ve reached All-Star Tiling”, the voice on the other side of the phone said.

“Hey, I had a consultation at 7:42 PM,” she replied

“Just a moment,” the voice answered.

After about five minutes, someone picked up

“Is this about your suspension?” Director Webber said

“Not exactly, just send CSU to my place, I’ll talk to you when you get here” She said, and with that she hung up.

About an hour later CSU dressed as painters arrived at Avery’s apartment, she was watching TV and finishing her fourth glass of bourbon, the bodies still on her floor, when she heard a knock at her door, with her pistol drawn behind her back, she approached the door cautiously, as she looked through the peephole, she let out a sigh of relief when saw that it was Director Webber and CSU. As she opened the door she put her gun down on her shoe-bench.

“What the hell is going on here!” Director Webber yelled.

“Kinda a long story, but basically these, these Russian thugs jumped me, and now they’re dead” Avery replied.

“And what makes you think they were Russian?” Director Webber asked.

Avery handed her the other gun from earlier,

“TT-33. Russian Service pistol, these two were either Russian or working with them”

“So what do we do?” Asked Director Webber

“Easy, find whoever’s pulling the strings.” She said.

“And?” Director Webber asked. Avery looked at her with a smirk.

“Take em’ out.”

As Avery walked back to HQ that Monday, she was elated to be off suspension. She walked into the briefing room and saw Carlos and Director Webber talking, but she couldn’t distinguish what they were talking about.

“Please, take your seats.” Director Webber said.

She dimmed the lights, and turned on the projector.

“This is Carlos Ochoa, he’s a the head of Ochoa crime family. They specialize in drug trafficking, smuggling, murder for hire, and most recently, arms dealing.” She said while pointing at a picture of Ochoa.

Director Webber continued,

“And since they took up this new hobby, It has became our concern”

“Isn’t this a job for the ATF?” Avery asked

“It was, until he started dealing to the Soviets and Nazis” She replied

Avery and Carlos pulled on their parachutes as they prepared to HALO jump onto San Bartolo, a remote site in the Guatemalan rainforest. Unknown to the public, it was the perfect site for setting up base. They landed three miles from the main entrance of the cartel’s bas. They took off their diving gear and changed into stealth-tac gear, Jungle camo and a silenced .22 caliber High Standard HDM/S. Their mission was to capture Ochoa and bring him back for interrogation. They were supposed to only use lethal force if absolutely necessary, Carlos donned a pair of brass knuckles and began towards the gate. As he and Avery reached the treeline they stopped and started to examine the best plan of attack. They saw two guards at front about 400 feet from their location each equipped with an Israeli made IWI Galil, standard issue for the Guatemalan armed forces.

Avery threw a rock about ten paces away from their location, as one of them went to go check it out, Carlos knocked out the other, as Avery shot a tranquilizer dart into the first guards neck.

As they made their way into the compound, Avery and Carlos ducked behind a pickup truck, and they scanned the main grounds,

“I count 17,” said Carlos.

“Too many to take out.” Avery said.

Without speaking, something went off in Carlos’s brain.

“Where’s the one place where there’s no guards?” Carlos asked with a smirk.

“Dunno, where?” Avery replied.

Carlos pointed up, toward the roof.

“Okay, so how do we get up there?” Avery asked

Carlos began stripping the pickup truck for parts, careful not to alarm the guard.

“What are you doing?!” Avery asked.

“Building an ascendor rig.” He said.

Ten minutes later he was done.

“How did you do that?” Avery asked

“Grew up in a scrapyard, only thing I could do to pass the time.” He replied.

They waited for the guards making their rounds to pass, then they scaled up the side of the building. Once they reached the top, they found a window and broke it. They crawled through and started to make their way downstairs, they found a lab, inside there was around 50 table covered in coca leaves, the main component in cocaine, drying. 30 duffel bags, and upon further examination, they were chock full of counterfeit dollars. Then they found the mother load, an armory full of experimental guns and explosives, Avery quickly stuck a tracker on inside of the magazine on one of the guns. Just then they heard voices, and quickly they each hid in a pair of nearby barrels. They peered through a tin hole in the barrel and saw, Ochoa himself talking to man with a thick German accent. But she couldn’t make out what they were talking about, just the word, Jericho. Avery quickly took some picture of the conversation. Just then about ten large trucks showed up along with some cartel soldiers.

“Mover las armas!” Ochoa yelled at the men.

Then the men began moving the weapons in to the trucks. The German man sat inside the most heavily fortified truck. One of the men slapped the back of one of the trucks and suddenly they all began to move out.

Then it was just five cartel soldiers, Ochoa, and them. After Ochoa was about twenty feet away from them, they signaled to each other and left their hiding place. Carlos grabbed a metal tray, then he slammed it into the first guards skull, Avery shot a tranquilizer dart into Ochoa’s neck. She quickly pulled out her gun and shot two guards, a hail of bullets followed her, Carlos and Avery each grabbed a gun. Carlos hit the next guard with the butt of his IWI Galil and but a few rounds into the third. Avery pulled the trigger on her Beretta M9 and the other two guards fell. Carlos put Ochoa over his shoulders.

“Now, what?” Avery asked

“Whaddya mean?” Carlos replied

“You forget about the swarm of guards outside, plus now they just heard a buncha gunfire” Avery told him.

“Oh, shit, you’re right.”

“Dumbass,” Avery said under her breath

Just then they heard about twenty different footsteps approaching them, fast.

“Get ready.” Carlos said, grabbing ammo from the ground.

“Guess this is our only choice.” She said checking her ammo.

They put Ochoa in a barrel and locked it in the armory. They hid on opposite corners of the room. About twenty seconds later, thirty men, in full combat gear emerged. Avery and Carlos began to open fire, and they each quickly turned over some table for cover. The soldiers began open fire on anything and everything. Carlos put the muzzle of his gun over the table and began to give cover fire. Avery, with pistol in hand ran at them. She put a bullet in the first guard’s knee and turned him around, using his as a shield, grabbed his knife, slit his throat, threw him at the group and took his gun, she put down around eleven of the guards. Carlos joined and finally they finished off the rest. They grabbed Ochoa, and started to head to exfil, in the heart of the jungle.

“I’m not gonna tell you anything.” Ochoa said, blood running out of his mouth and nose.

“That’s fine.” Carlos replied, and punched him again. He went unconscious, and his blood was running down Carlos’ shirt.

Back in Phoenix, Avery walked into the interrogation room.

“Why don’t you let me have crack at it?” she asked Carlos.

“Sure.” he replied.

She grabbed a towel and bucket of water, Ochoa began to laugh.

“You can’t do that, it’s illegal,” he said nervously.

“It is, but no one's gonna find out.” She replied.

Avery leaned his chair back, she soaked the towel in water and put it over his face, she began to pour more water onto the towel. He began the scream. Avery stopped

“Now i’m gonna ask you one more time, where are the guns going, and who is your contact in Germany?”

Ochoa gasping for air, finally told them,

“Torbjörn Lindholm.”

“Thank you.” She said and shot him in the head. Two hours later, they were packing up their private jet for a “vacation” to Germany.

Avery looked over at Carlos, he dug his nails into the soft hand rest, he looked uneasy, as if something was eating away at him.

“You alright?” she asked.

“Yeah, just not used to flying.” he said while chuckling wryly.

Avery was now a little suspicious, because she remembered that according to Carlos’s file he was a paratrooper, but decided not to pry. Instead she focused on her mission, find Torbjörn, and find out who his boss is,  their plans for the guns, and where to find them.

They landed about twenty five miles from the heart of Munich, in a desolate forest. After they jumped out they found the pair of ATV’s that were left for them. As they arrived at the edge of the city they hid their ATVs in some bushes and change into civilian clothes. They met up with their contact, Torvald Utne, he told them that Torbjörn was heavily guarded and and had a hideout in Das Jagd-und Fischerei a hidden castle from the 18th century.

They headed to a secret Phoenix armory about five clicks away. Once they got there they were greeted by a  Phoenix TAC team. They all loaded up, Avery and Carlos each grabbed a M1903 Springfield fully automatic assault rifle and a Colt M1927 handgun, but she noticed Carlos using his own gun, a silver and gold Beretta 1934 with the Aztec eagles insignia emblazoned onto the barrel and the name Sanchez underneath.

They arrived fifty feet from the castle and started discussing the plan, men were to go and seal off every exit possible, but do not engage. Then they were to go in, all guns blazing, and find Torbjörn. After they got the confirmation that the exits were sealed, they started spinning up the M1919 Browning mounted machine gun that was attached to the roof of the van and pointed it straight at the two foot thick wooden castle doors. As the began to open fire, around fifty  men appeared from within and they began to fire back, the Phoenix team was engaged in a battle in the front, Carlos and Avery quickly realized that the quickest way to Torbjörn was a way with very little guards, so they grabbed a rope ladder from the van along with an ascendor rig, and scaled the massive fifty foot castle and landed on the roof. After they got there, they found a stained glass skylight near the back of the castle, they broke it a rappelled down with the ascendor rig.

Once they were inside, they were greeted by about ten guards, who were caught off-guard. Avery and Carlos made quick work of them and decided to split up in order to find Torbjörn. Five minutes later, Carlos radioed in on their Walkie-Talkie.

“I found a secret tunnel on the far east side, looks like it heads to town, he’s probably in here.”

Just then Avery heard yelling and and gunshots on the other end, followed by Carlos groaning. Avery rushed to the tunnel, she found Carlos’s Pistol covered in blood and Torbjörn with four bullet wounds in his gut. She grabbed his by his bloody lapel,

“Where’s Carlos?” she yelled at him

“...Dead…” He replied weakly

“And the guns?” she yelled even more angrily

“...Dunno…” He said mockingly

Avery pistol whipped him and asked him again

“Where are they?”

Finally Torbjörn said, “Führerhauptquartiere”

Avery, angry at Torbjörn, didn’t shoot him, she grabbed a torch that was illuminating the tunnel and lit his body ablaze and walked away. She called Director Webber,

“I found em” she said

“Where are they?” Director Webber Asked

“They’re in the goddamn Nazi Headquarters with Hitler himself,” she said with a smirk and hung up.

They were going in dark, the they could only use the tracker they put on the gun earlier if it was 500 feet from them, that meant they would only know the position of the guns, after they were inside.

Avery and the TAC team arrived in full night ops gear. They turned on their night vision goggles and began to move out. Using silenced guns, they took out the few perimeter guards, while a five-man team took control of the watchtowers. Avery took her sector and slipped through the front gate. The beacon sprung to life, the guns were located on the top floor armory past Hitler’s office. They began to quickly and quietly move through the building. They reached the Northern stairwell which leads directly to Hitler’s office, and to reach the armory, they would have to go through it. They made it to the top and looked at the menacing steel double doors with the twisted Nazi cross emblazoned to the center. Avery peered through a crack in the door and saw two figures, she assumed for one of them to be Hitler and the other to be some sort of soldier, they were wrong. They burst through the door with their guns leveled at Hitler and the soldier. But then almost thirty guards showed themselves, it was an ambush.

They dropped their guns and raised their hands and got on their knees.

“Ms. Stein, I have been expecting you, I know all about you and your mission from my very good friend here.” sneered Hitler.

The mysterious soldier turned around, it was Carlos. Avery was dumbfounded,

“Allow me to explain, in the castle I turned against Torbjörn, he was supposed to be here and get half the guns, we had a shootout, I was shot in the arm and leg and dropped my gun, but I got the better of him, he tried to tell you, but we had his wife hostage to ensure his silence. After that all I had to was disappear.”

Then all of a sudden a sudden a Phoenix helicopter appeared behind the large windows that made up one of the walls of the office and about twenty Phoenix soldiers swooped in. At this point the office was a bloodbath, but then Avery saw Carlos and Hitler sneaking out a small secret passageway. Avery grabbed an assault rifle from the ground and ran after them. She turned into the tunnel and was immediately met with a hail of bullets, she grabbed a stun grenade from her utility belt and tossed it the tunnel, she shot each of Carlos’s limbs and knocked Hitler out. She walked over to Carlos and kept pounding him with the butt of her gun until grey matter seeped out of his skull and spat on his lifeless body. Then she walked over Hitler and slit his throat with her knife. She walked back to the main brawl still soaked in blood seeing that the remaining Nazi soldiers were either surrendering or dead. The chopper arrived and she got on.

Mission: Success.

Read first on Little_boy_brown_65