Mysterious Day | Teen Ink

Mysterious Day

May 18, 2018
By charlotteagee BRONZE, Tampa , Florida
charlotteagee BRONZE, Tampa , Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

"Ughh! Why can't you just work!" Rose hissed at her locker. A dark figure hunched over her, a cold chill crept on the back of her neck, tan, muscular arms reached through her arms. She awkwardly stood not knowing what to do as the mysterious figure fidgeted with her lock. Rose was guessing the arms belonged to a man. He forcefully pulled down on the lock and the locker swung open giving Rose a little scare making her jump. As he retrieved his arms to himself and continued to walk down the hallway Rose quickly grabbed her bags and ran after the mystery man wondering who he was. "Thank you..." An awkward pause of silence fell upon the two. "My lock is so stubborn it never opens, I always ask for help, but nobody stops it can be so annoying. So... how's your lock?" Rose closed her eyes wondering how stupid she really was. "Not like that, that was a stupid question, who asks how's your lock-." 


"You should go home." His cold voice murmured. Rose's face turned red as a tomato realizing she was still following him down the empty hallway and asking him weird questions. 


"Where are you going, and what's your name?" Rose replied acting as if she never heard what he said and giving a joyful smile to lighten the mood. "Why did you stop to help me, I mean there must be a reason to why you cared to stop and help me." 


"My names Matt and you needed my help, so, I helped you." Matt didn't show any emotion other than he was bored of her and wanted her to get off his back. 


"So, what's something you like to do Matt, I'm guessing you're not a big talker... you still haven't
told me where you’re going." A large cry of thunder erupted and made the ground shake. Suddenly, an alert from Texas weather buzzed on each other's phone, "a tornado watch has been issued, do not go outside and find shelter!" 


"Well I guess I'm staying here." Matt said with an irritated look. Before you knew it, the large speaker blared out over the school, "excuse me students and teachers there has been issued a tornado warning, please stay calm and hide in the directed spots." Before the flood of students would come out of the classroom Matt climbed into one of the long empty lockers. 


"Hey, what are you doing! Were supposed to be going to the directed hiding spots." Rose asked giving a concerned look. Matt reached out to the locker beside him and opened it for her. She quickly climbed in and closed it very confused. After what felt like an endless stampede of students came out and crowded down the hallway pushing each other and yelling, "move!" Or "get out of the way!" You could hear the fast-moving wind pound against the building. Finally, once everyone past Matt and Rose came out of the lockers. "Alright what now?" Rose asked. 


"I have to leave." Matt said his brown eyes landing right on Rose's. 


"Leave? Where and why would you want to leave when a tornado is coming, and you can't, or you'll get swept off your feet."   


"Ok then leave if you don't want to come." Matt commented. 


"Maybe I want to come or at least help you, but at least tell me where you're going." Her voice rising. 


"Shhh!" Matt whispered. 


"I'm not going to let some random person walk out in weather like this." 


"If you want to come, come or you can go hide with all your friends. Make a decision, but I need to get to the hospital now. Are you in or out?" He asked choking up. 


"I'll come." 


"Alright so we have to find a way to get out of here without getting caught and need to find a way if we get out to not be blown away by the wind. Nobody's down the hallways though during storms they're required to hide." 
"I wonder why." Rose said with her arms crossed and looking a bit worried. Matt rolled his eyes and they began to walk quietly down towards the hallway. When they reached the hallway, the lights began to flicker, and the wind became stronger almost rooting out the small trees the school planted a couple months ago. Rose pulled on Matt's jacket trying to reach him down to her level, so she could whisper something to him. "You actually want to walk out in that, why do you even need to go to the hospital. I know it's just a block away, but look at the wind and the rain, plus there's debri flying everywhere." 


"Trust me, just hold my arm tight you'll be fine." He said trying to reassure everything will be fine. They continued down the hallway to the door. Rose tightened her grip around Matt's arm as he slowly opened the door. The strong wind pounded their faces. Matt forcefully pushed the door to close and steadily walked to go under the covered area where some of the lockers were located. The wind still blew, but not as forcefully as they stood there cold and wet. 


"Wait, you never told me why we're going to the hospital!" Rose yelled, but before he could answer Rose was picked up by the wind. 


"Don't let go Rose!" 


She held onto Matt's arm trying not to fly away, but her grip was becoming loose.