A Climb to a Lost World | Teen Ink

A Climb to a Lost World

January 5, 2015
By Ktsmilez1 BRONZE, Citrus Heights, California
Ktsmilez1 BRONZE, Citrus Heights, California
2 articles 5 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all- in which case you fail by default."
-JK Rowling


Do you remember all those stories your Grandparents would tell you? They’d be so out there that you thought they were just “Tale Tales”. Well as a little girl my grandmother ,Wendy ,would speak of a world so unlike the one we live in. I was entranced on how vividly her stories were told.

 

Her eyes lit up when she spoke of a great city built from the magic around. She explained to me the wonderful beauty of fairies, and waterfalls and mermaids! The legend said this was a world in a world itself (whatever that meant). My grandmother said this world was outside of London, Paris. That to find this place you had to believe and fallow the second star to the right and straight on till morning. She said it was over the Majestic Mountains that were protected by Indians.

 

After my grandmother had past I became an adventure seeker. I traveled the world looking for this magical place she always spoke of. Years went by and I had myself convinced that it did not exist. I climbed mountains all across the world. Searching for these so called Indians. I hadn't gone to London yet. There was never Indians there, right?

 

Finally I knew that I must go to London. Even if this place didn't exist, I had to go for my grandmother. Once there I talked to many scouts asking about mountains that once had Indians.  They all laughed at me and told me I was insane. So I went on my own. Grabbed a compass and some cloths and headed towards the second star to the right of the moon. I knew that it would be a waste of time but deep down I had a little bit of hope left.

 

As I looked up I noticed for the first time how giant this mountain was. It was rocky and steep. It looked like a solid peace of black against the night sky. Bigger than any mountain I’d ever climbed. But I didn't give up, not just yet. After two hours I had begun to get tired. Sweat rolled off my forehead and my hair stuck to my neck. I dug my feet into the mountain even more. I had to press on and keep moving. The stars shined and the wind blew. My stomach was full of butterflies and my heart full of hope. Why was I going up this mountain? Why was it so important? Because I wanted my grandmother to look down on me and be proud of what I was doing, but I was also doing it for myself. I needed something to believe in. Something to tell my grandchildren one day.

 

Shaking my head I kept moving. I had to get my head in the game and focus. Looking up I saw that I was nearly there. Taking a step, my foot slipped! I was hanging on for my dear life. My heart was racing and for once I was scared. I placed my hands steadily on a jagged rock. Found a strong place for my foot and stopped to catch my breath. I was almost there. Dawn was on its way.

 

The top was right above me. One more step and I’d see what I've always looked for… But what if it wasn't real? What if I was to get my hopes up? A wave of sadness came over me. Looking up I could see the light of the sun coming up. That was all I needed. It gave me the hope I needed to take that step.

 

As I raised myself up. A wave of excitement washed over me. I had made it! A huge smile came across my lips. My eyes lit up like grandmothers had. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It was real, it was so very real! Ahead of me were these buildings. The walls were twisted, like branches of trees. Flowers of vivid colors bloomed everywhere. To the right was this sparkling waterfall falling from this beautiful cliff. Winged objects dove in and out of the falling water. Fairies! They were beautiful. The sun rays shined through the stunningly blue water. What was that? Colorful fins gleamed beneath the waters surface.  As I watched this thing rose up and this beautiful face smiled brightly at me. Mermaids!

 

Was I dreaming? Had I actually found it? This amazing place my grandmother spoke of.. She wasn't crazy after all. All my years of searching in the wrong place, I had finally found the world inside a world itself.

I had found Neverland.


The author's comments:

This short story has a little twist on Finding Neverland. I was asigned to write a story, and chose to write this one.