Black and Bare | Teen Ink

Black and Bare

By offkeyanthm SILVER, Spring, Texas
offkeyanthm SILVER, Spring, Texas

"If you can't see anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror, look a little closer, stare a little longer, because there's something inside you that made you keep trying, despite everyone who told you to quit."
-Shane Koyczan

It was dark in her nightmare. And it was cold. Her entire body was numb and her breathing was slow. As she breathed, she could see the white frost escape her lips and disperse into the blank nothing. A growling sound emerged in the distance. She attempted to stand, pushing up on her hands. A jolting pain made its way up her body, causing her to howl and fall back towards the ground, slamming her chin onto the rough surface. She had no escape, forcing her to wait for the creature to find her.
Time passed. The growling had subsided, though she still felt an evil presence among her. She finally gained the energy to stand. She stood in the emptiness, searching for someone, anyone, to find her and save her from this wasteland. She called out, her voice echoing through the dark. Nothing.
A sudden wind blew from the North, knocking her off her feet and sending her sprawling back towards the ground. The harsh wind raged on, clawing at her face. Her eyes were beginning to sting and water up, when she heard a strange sound in the distance.
“Hello?” she weakly muttered. The wind lowered itself to a whisper. She looked out into the darkness in front of her. As she stared, she saw a thick, black goo emerge from the nothing and start making its way towards her. She scuttled away from the thing as it picked up speed. Then it touched her. It was frighteningly warm as it crawled up her skin. It slithered around her foot and wrapped itself around her ankle. There it sat, not moving. The slop sent a small tingle up her leg, like a small electric shock. Ever so slightly, she reached out her hand to remove it from her skin. She grabbed it, tugging at it, trying to pry it off. Then, it attacked.
The thing grew in size, encasing her entire left leg in a wall of black. It sent a powerful jolt up her body. The burning sensation sent her into shock. She stared at her smoking leg, unable to comprehend the sight. Her breathing grew faster. She kicked, trying to shake off the goop. It continued to grow. It crawled up her body until it reached her chest, and sent off another shock. She gasped and struggled to take in enough air to fill her lungs.
She grabbed the thing and ripped at it, finally tearing it off of her skin. She managed to pry it off completely and fling it into the darkness. She stumbled away, toppling over her own legs. Tears were streaming down her face, when she lost her footing and plummeted to the floor. She clawed at the ground, digging her nails into the earth, and pulling herself along while trying to escape the blob. She could hear the creature scurrying towards her in the distance. A black shadow flew above into the bareness in front of her. She froze, too terrified to move. A low rumble emerged from the nothing. She could see a slight glint of white making its way towards her. As it neared closer she could see the faint black outline of the blob surrounding the white shape. The white crawled towards her, shrinking into the black, morphing into multiple shapes resembling teeth.
She struggled to crawl away, every inch of her body burning when she dared to move. The glop morphed into a faceless silhouette of a lean man, its pearly white teeth glowing in the darkness. It strolled towards her, as if in no hurry, mocking her with its demonic grin. Its hand stretched out, wrapping itself around her ankle and pulling her back. She kicked and screamed, praying that this thing would take pity on her and set her free. It continued to drag her; the thing didn't know pity.
The thing changed its shape, turning back into the huge gelatinous blob that haunted her before, its mouth still beaming at her torture. It crashed over her like a wave, sending her spiraling into the depths of the oceanic black. She was incapable of moving, as the creature began drinking away her life source. She felt the energy leave her body, one small sip at a time. Her black hair turned phantom-like gray. Her sun-kissed skin withered into rubbery white.
As she washed away to nothing, a blinding light shined through the darkness, revealing two faint figures. She was able to watch the two charge the creature when her eyes fluttered shut, sending her into an even darker abyss, with a malicious laughter echoing through the black.