The Man with the Red Scarf | Teen Ink

The Man with the Red Scarf

By Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California

"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson

I narrowed my eyes down to the foggy town of Boston, Massachusetts. I wrapped my red scarf across my mouth and tilted my hat down, which barely covered my eyes. My black trench coat blew into the wind as I sat upon a snowy hilltop and softly played the cello. A group of British forces set out for battle and spotted me upon the hill. They turned their cannons towards me and shouted, "Stop that music!" I lifted my head up to look at them but kept playing as I increased the speed and volume of this cello. "Who are you with, sir?!" A British Commander yelled out. I kept playing faster and faster, sparks flying off the strings of my cello. The British soldiers were frightened by this and the Commander yelled out one last demand, "Put down that instrument or we will fire upon you!" I didn't listen and only kept increasing my speed and volume. They prepared to fire their cannons when a solider cried out, "He isn't listening!"

"Fire!" The British Commander ordered. Several cannonballs came flying at me through the air; I stood up and laid my cello down in the snow. A cannonball was coming straight towards me; I opened my arms and absorbed the impact as it made contact with my abdomen. The soldiers gasped and grew frightful at this sight, "Boom…" I whispered with a smirk. I stepped back and thrusted forward, sending the cannonball right back at them.

"Look out!"

"Take cover!"

"It's coming back!"

The soldiers scrambled as one of their own cannonballs came flying back at them. The cannonball crashed into the cannon and sent debris flying everywhere. The commander didn't stop sending out his orders; he demanded even more cannon fire at this new enemy. I picked up my cello and dashed through the snow, heading towards the soldiers. "What is he doing?! Oh Lord, he's coming straight for us!" A solider screamed. "Fire the cannons!" The commander ordered. More cannonballs were fired toward me but none of them made contact. As I dashed towards them, I analyzed the area and carefully planned out my attack.

"About twenty soldiers, three cannons, four horsemen, and plenty of muskets to play with! This should be simple." I laughed at the simple task.

I vaulted over one cannon at an incredible speed and landed across three soldiers. I got to my feet and swung my cello, knocking down five other soldiers. Four soldiers pushed the cannon towards me and struggled to reload as I took notice of them. I dropped my cello and rushed towards them, "Fire, fire! He's coming towards us!" A solider yelled. The cannon was seconds from firing as I dug my feet into the ground and swung the cannon around towards them. Before they could even blink, the cannon went off and killed all four soldiers standing there. Soldiers left their posts behind the cannons and began firing upon me with their muskets. I chuckled as I absorbed the bullets and merely spat them out. I threw off my trench coat and revealed seven flintlocks strapped to my body. I pulled out two flintlocks and shot two men down, a solider came charging at me with a bayonet. I simply dodged the bayonet and snapped his neck before tripping him. Two horsemen charged through the soldiers and simultaneously slashed their swords downwards, I dodged one sword as I took another. The horseman were disoriented and I gave them no chance. I jumped up on the back of the horse and sent the sword through the first horseman's heart. The other could only make eye contact with me as a bullet pierced his brain. The two other horsemen were so afraid that they turned around and rode back into Boston. The remaining number of soldiers surrounded me with their bayonets. "Surrender now!" The commander demanded as he raised his sword. "No, sir." I mocked. I grabbed his sword and kicked him down before unleashing my assault. The remaining soldiers charged me but it was all a haze after that. The soldiers began to drop like flies, flintlocks went off, the screams of these soldiers filled the air, and the sound of my sword cutting across flesh.

The commander stood up and he was able to clearly see the quick work caused by this new enemy. The commander pulled out his flintlock and scanned the area but he could not find this man with the red scarf. The commander stopped in his tracks and whipped around as he heard the sound of someone softly playing the cello. I sat upon the corpses of these soldiers as I softly played with a satisfied smile. The commander approached me with flintlock in hand and pulled the trigger but alas, the flintlock misfired.

"Don't you hate it when that happens?" I said with a sorrowful, mocking tone. I pulled out a dagger, spun the British commander around and quickly put him in a chokehold.

"Who a-a-re you?! What do you wa-want!?" The commander managed to spit out.

"I am the man with the red scarf and I'm here to get vengeance on my family!" I sent the dagger straight into the commander's heart, ending his pitiful life. I yanked the dagger out of him as I let him fall with the rest of his soldiers. With a smug expression, I returned to my cello and made my way into Boston.

This is one story that just came to me after watching too many actions movies and reading tons of history on the revolutionary war. I plan on making a huge story and this is just one part of it. :)