A Tire Wanting Desire | Teen Ink

A Tire Wanting Desire

November 7, 2009
By SnickertheCat BRONZE, Pasadena, Maryland
SnickertheCat BRONZE, Pasadena, Maryland
3 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Never fight with an inanimate object."- Forgot.


We hit the road speeding; just my owner and me. As soon as he hits that pedal, I started my job. I love the feel of the various textures going along my grooves as I spin rapidly around. That’s the job of a tire like me, to get people where they’re going. It can be tiring at times, but I love every minute of it.

However a few times I’ve had some bad things happen to me. It’s not like my life is carefree. One example is when my owner decided to rob a bank. He came flying out the bank, bags of cash in tact and quickly yanked open the car door and slammed it shut. I feel sorry for that door, being slammed all the time. He started the engine with nervousness in his face and he started flouring it, at a rapid pace. My job was instantly required of as I spun to do his evil deeds. We were flying down the road but we were not alone. Behind us I could hear police sirens and my owner shouting tons of obscenities as he hit the gas harder.

It’s been about an hour in the chase now, and I’ve decided that I don’t care what my owner does, I’m not the one who’s going to get in trouble, I’m just his accessory to his escape, why do I care about his fate? Perhaps I care a little because he’s the one who bought me, but I can’t put that past his evil deeds. The police have now gotten close to us and up ahead I see something on the road. I didn’t have enough time to see what it was before it was too late. A big tear was ripped into me and I was quickly loosing air. I thought to myself this is the end of me. The actions of my owner have killed me; I’m just an innocent victim. As the car rolls to a stop the police quickly arrest my owner as I lie dying in the street.

I was picked up however by a redneck man. He seemed kind though, as he saw the hole in me and used a device to pump life back into me. I thought this was too good to be true. The man asked the police if he could take the car for a nominal fee since the owner was going to be arrested. The police agreed and the man put me back on the car and we rolled off. As I thought how lucky I was, my brethren were happy that we were finally set free.

The author's comments:
I wrote this when I was on the road and thought, "How does a tire feel when its running along the street?"