The Quest Trials | Teen Ink

The Quest Trials

February 9, 2024
By mohamedbereka BRONZE, Bayonne, New Jersey
mohamedbereka BRONZE, Bayonne, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

An Open World: The Beginning

In an open world, a little boy named George walked by the river bank…a river with no water. The boy was confused. As the boy was crossing over the river, the bridge began to crumble. CABOSH!!! Went the bridge. Then everything happened so fast. The bridge collapsed and I began to fall. AHHHHHH..I continued until I hit the river bed. The world around me started to disappear. Surprisingly, I only had a few scratches after reaching the bottom . The darkness made me timid. I could barely see anything around me except the light from above. 


I heard voices around me and then I fainted on the hard ground shocked and terrified. What happened next scared me like how the fridge ran away. I woke up to a new place with way more light but still very timid. All I saw was a big red throne with fabulous jewelry and gold on it. Three little goblins started coming out of a hidden door that was very slimy. As steps come from the goblins toward the throne..the little boy starts to hear thumps. The three little goblins started to chant something. Then I saw it.. A big creature coming out that gooey door. I looked around again and saw that everything was flesh like as to the walls and the ground, even the doors. The creature began to sit down. The creature states, “You must bow before speech.” The little boy bows as if not wanting to get eaten.. trembling in fear. “Hello Mortal, I have a quest for you to do, if you do this quest you will gain freedom and valuables from myself,” said the giant beast. I questioned the giant beast of its name and what I have to do. Additionally the beast responds, “ My name is Lord Rell, I command you to do this list of trials, that is now your quest.” Then I took the list from him and saw what to do first. 


The Start of the Quests


Rather the first quest stated, “You have a time limit of 50 minutes to finish this quest, in order to finish this quest you must do the following: 

Go to the Ancient Temple in Sah.
Retrieve its gold and riches from the underground.
Return back to the trial area and place your objects in a sculpture garden. 

As I was sprinting to the temple, I bumped into a stranger and accidentally dropped all of his plates of food. He got mad and restrained me. As he knew he was on a quest that had a time limit. I was mad and confused as that big creature didn’t state that there would be any obstacles. 

The time got shorter after he let me go, I ran so fast in the direction of the temple. But there was no temple. He said something about underground though. I thought to myself that it must be underground. I dug with my hands very hard and dug and dug ruthlessly without a stop. I finally found the treasure after over half of the time I had to finish my quest. 


As I rushed back to the weird area with those gooey doors trying to find the sculpture gardens. I came across a strange creature that came out of the ground out of nowhere. The ground creature stated, “Hi, Are you lost? I can help you if you tell me where you are going!” I said, “I am going to the sculpture gardens but this place is a little too big. Can you please tell me where I am going, thank you!” The creature says again, “The sculpture gardens are at a sharp turn of your right here and take a left.” As I was leaving the creature went back into its hole and I ran to its directions. I had 5 minutes left and I finally got to the sculpture and I put the riches and gold on the sculpture garden. The quest was completed as I saw on my head the checkbox on my hand got checked off. 


The last quest was rather going to be given to the lord again, as I was approaching the throne again after leaving the sculpture areas. The lord was surprisingly there waiting for me. He stated my last quest, “You must finish this in 5 minutes. This quest follows as you must go to the random stranger you crossed by and give him food, his favorites are bread, yogurt, and plum. If you do not do it in under 5 minutes, You will perish or you can serve your life into my kingdom by rotting.” I was abashed at what he said and ran to get his favorites from a merchant and as I ran there I realized I was short on cash. As I wasn’t really in my realm. I couldn't go back to my home to get cash anymore. So I came up with a plan but it takes most of my time. I ran towards the merchant and turned left and kicked a rock towards him. And then he saw me do that and restrained me as well for doing that. I wondered to myself if I was in a simulation.


The End of The Trial


After two minutes, he let me go, and in those two minutes, I begged him for some bread so I could feed the poor animal. I did my best to run over in time after he accepted. I ran so quickly that I was even beyond the reach of cheetahs. I thought to myself, I made it. He said, "You didn't make it in time," after I gave him his favorite foods. I was rendered speechless, and after that, everything felt dark and I could only see light.  I learned that to always find and be careful of my surroundings. I should never be careless and ignorant ever or this could happen again. The lord has killed me and I learned my lesson that hard work is worthwhile as these quests take a while and are supposed to do it more elegantly than the easier routes as nothing is easy in life. A magical field came in front of me and I entered it and I saw my home. I think I did finish the quests in time I am now home. I exclaimed in happiness as I got to rest. But what if this is all a dream..?


The author's comments:

This piece shows how hard work is worthwhile. And you should never be giving up as to it takes a lot of time.