Great Aunt Helen | Teen Ink

Great Aunt Helen

By lilystephens06 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lilystephens06 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Abby was a quiet girl who had few friends. She was an only child with one cousin. She knew most of her family…at least she thought she did. One rainy morning she got the mail and had received a letter from an attorney. At first she was worried but once she ripped open the letter she was extremely confused. The letter was about an inheritance. She couldn’t think who it would be from considering no one she knew had died recently. As she continued reading the letter she found out it was from a great aunt Helen. She whispered to herself, “What is going on?” as she had never heard of her before. Given the last name she figured out it was her mothers aunt. Her first course of action was to call her mom. When her mom answered she didn’t give many details other than that she was a very strange woman. She apparently had decided to cut contact with the family when she turned 18. Abby and her mother both could not figure out how she knew of Abby since Abby’s mother had never met Helen. Abby decided to meet with the attorney to make sense of this wild situation. Instead of answering her questions he just created more. Apparently great aunt Hellen was very strange. Abby was hoping to be able to just collect the money but instead she was given a series of tasks to complete. To begin with Abby had to provide a certificate to prove she went to and completed the Bailey’s Kitchen cooking class. After this she had to find a job working at a restaurant, but not just any old restaurant. It had to be Maxims, a cute family diner in the city. Abby never had been there but had always heard good things about it. Finally she had to volunteer at the animal shelter. This was the most strange to Abby since it was something she already did. After the shock of a meeting Abby went home and thought about what to do. 

The next day she looked up Bailey’s Kitchen and by chance there was a class on the weekend. Abby quickly signed up and was honestly excited. Saturday roles around and she gathers her belongings to go to the class. After a few hours of cooking Abby walked out with a certificate of completion and many new skills. Next she was thinking about the restaurant. She didn’t really want to go alone. Instead she decided to ask her friend Ella to go with her. Abby was thinking about going next weekend but Ella suggested going Sunday for brunch. They drive to town and find the cute little diner. They quickly look over the menu and settle on one of their specials. They really enjoy their meals and decide that they should come there more often. Abby knew she only had one task left but it was the easiest one. Wednesday’s were her day to go volunteer at the animal shelter. After Wednesday she had hope she’d get the answers she wanted. Friday was the next time both her and the lawyer were free. Once she arrived the letter gave her two envelopes labeled one and two. She opened the one labeled one first and it was the money. She couldn't even imagine what number two could have in it. As she opened the envelope she saw it was a letter. This letter brought Abby to tears. It detailed things Helen liked to do and told all about her life. She explained that she had found young love and her mother didn't like him. She forbade her from dating him so she left. They ran away and stayed together until his unfortunate death a few years before Helen’s. At the very bottom she answered the questions Abby had about the tasks. They were all things Helen enjoyed doing and did often. She hoped to share these with Abby and introduce her to many great things. This awkward and complicated situation turned into many great opportunities and the life story of a long lost family member.