Overheating | Teen Ink

Overheating

October 18, 2021
By Anonymous

It was Beautiful morning on July 23rd, 045, A massive heat wave had just touched the western part of the u.s , Phoenix who lived in California, Known for its temperatures of 145 degrees fahrenheit. Aelia, the mother of Phoenix, was on her way to work when she had to pull over to let dozens of fire trucks through. Aelia got really scared because her house was really close to the forest. She turned the radio on and heard that the heat wave had just caused a massive forest fire 2 miles away from her house. She rapidly called Phoenix and told him to evacuate with her little sister, dawn.


 It was the biggest forest fire ever recorded in California, the fire was as the sun. The governor instantly declared a state of emergency, And ordered anyone who lived in a 5 mile radius from the forest to evacuate. It was so hot that pieces of paper in the street randomly started catching fire, Small animals dying of heat strokes. Hundreds of People rushed to the indoor air to get cold air. Cold air that felt like something they were praying for  .Phoenix and Dawn were already at their grandma's house which was an hour away from the fire. But Aelia, her mother was in big trouble, the fire was located just 2 miles away. With temperatures reaching over 150 degrees fahrenheit Aelia was having major trouble finding a safe place to shelter in. She was driving like she had a supercar going as fast as she could to reach the shelter with cool temperatures 3 miles away.

Planes, Helicopters and firetrucks worked as hard as they could to control the fire, other states like nevada, Oregon and Arizona were already working on sending help to California, Aelia, Dawn and Phoenix were all safe but many people and animals were sill is harsh conditions, surrounded by the flames and extreme heat. But there was still plenty of hope to get everyone out of danger, Firefighters were still working as hard as they could to control the fire. Although the majority of citizens were in a safe spot, many were still stuck and surrounded by the fire. around 600 acres of land that had already been controlled by the fire department. But there were still thousands to go. 

Aelia couldn’t wait to see her kids so she made her way to her moms house where her children were waiting for her, it was a safer spot since the area had not been affected by the heatwave or the fire. Although there was hope for the people, hundreds if not thousands of animals had lost their lives. Because the fire was getting so out of hand, the government decided to just let the rest burn off . There were only about 100 casualties but thousands of animals had died. It was a sad day but it was only the start of the result of global warming.


The author's comments:

This is a story abut a family who have to escae the bigget forest fire anyone has ever seen