Sending you a memory | Teen Ink

Sending you a memory

September 27, 2021
By jiwon8681 BRONZE, Seoul, Other
jiwon8681 BRONZE, Seoul, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 An hour ago, in my muted room, a door appeared. It was a fancy golden door with a gorgeous handle encrusted with about 200 diamonds. A note was pinned to the door: “Wishes Granted” it said. I thought of all the times I had wished grandma’s dementia away. She is my only family, and I’m terrified of what will happen to us both if she becomes too confused to look after me. Some days, she can’t even remember my name. So I immediately leaped up and headed to the door.

 I turned the handle and the huge door swung open. I moved one curious step forward, then looked back. There was nothing; my room had vanished! “Grandma?” I called, but no one answered. With a short sigh, I crept forward, full of anticipation.

 “You’re finally here, Julie!” A high-pitch voice shouted. When I turned towards the voice, a tiny squirrel clothed like a postman was smiling at me. “Wait, what? Did you just talk? And how do you know my name?” I asked. “Yes, why are you so late?” The squirrel literally talked in English. “What the heck?” I said (the word that grandma used to stop me from saying). “You’re the 279th guest of Memoria Kingdom, and I’m Buffy, the manager of the memory department…” The squirrel then blurted out all the information in his brain (I guess). Overwhelmed, I couldn’t make sense of anything he said. “Now, let’s hurry up and start working!” Buffy pushed a button on his tiny red bag, which said “Memory Department”.

 Right away, a gigantic tower appeared in front of my eyes. Machines were moving and squirrels were wrapping something in post boxes, all in different sizes. “Don’t just sit there watching!” Buffy hurried me while hopping onto the lobby. The whole place was filled with thousands of boxes, marked fragile. I was confused, but not for long, and soon found myself sticking the “fragile” stickers on the boxes. 

 After a few hours of this tedious work, I heard heavy footsteps in the distance; definitely not a squirrel. “Boom! Boom!” A lumbering running sound approached. All the workers in the tower jumped up and down together with the boxes. Suddenly, a gigantic blue, slimy foot with 3 extra toes smashed into the lobby. “Aaaaahhh!” Every single squirrel started screaming and quickly moved the boxes into the storehouse. 

 My feet felt glued to the tile floor, while my heart was hammering so loudly, I was afraid the blue monster could hear it. Roughly, I was pulled into the storehouse, which Buffy told me was made of the hardest metal in the world, which wouldn’t bend or melt, and even electricity couldn’t flow through it. “Now we’re safe!” Buffy whispered. “What the heck is going on?” (Grandma would be angry with me again). “It’s the memory-eating monster. Julie, I guess it’s time for you to leave,” Buffy said sadly. He pushed a button on a huge bag filled with thousands of boxes, this time, inscribed with the word “Delivery”, and said, “Goodbye!”

 “Julie, wake up my baby!” It was grandma’s voice. “Grandma?” I opened my eyes but could hardly believe my ears. Grandma was calling my name, smiling, holding a small post box, marked fragile.


The author's comments:

 There have been many elder people having dementia these days, and whenever I heard the news about it or saw some scenes related to it in movies or dramas, I felt very sorry for them, but I realized that it may happen near me, even within my family anytime in the future which is not far.
 It may be depressing, or sad, and I have always thought that how do their memories come back sometimes. Therefore, although I know that I cannot, when I wrote this story, I wanted to solace and console the families of people who are having dementia. I didn't want to remind them of the blue side of the story, but instead, I wanted them to feel entertained by inviting them to the fantasy land, through the door that the narrator entered, and experienced strange and fun things.
 In a conclusion, I am always hoping that the families of the elder people having dementia to not be depressed, but to be strong and happy for their lives, and I hope for myself too, that one day if the same thing happens to my family, I will stand up and be grateful for my life and everything that will happen to me, as it is my life, not anybody else's.