For the ones I love | Teen Ink

For the ones I love

Today is a beautiful day, the sun shines brightly, the blue sky clear as sapphire. The chirping of the birds soon led to the beginning of a harmonious yet whimsical song. I was on my way back home after a huge discover made deep in the inner sanctum of the Forest of life. A tree, standing at a height of 100 meters tall. My mind was filled with excitement, the adrenaline coursing through my body as I ran as fast as I could to get home. Soon I laid eyes on the town of Testarossa. Surrounding the village was fields of roses with an added touch of crimson hue. Along the trail, a severe gust of wind roared through the area. Soon to follow were rose petals, scattering swiftly with the wind. Arriving in the village I quickly ran back home. As I was opening the door I felt something was wrong, there was a shadow lurking. I carefully planned my next step. As soon as the door closed, the dark shadow made its move. It rushed in charging at me at full force. I take off my coat and like a matador to a raging bull skillfully guide it to the door behind me. There was a large thump, followed by a voice. 

“Ow!” 

“What are you doing Estella.”

“Big brother that hurts! All I was going to do was give you a hug.”

“More like you were trying to tackle me down to the floor. Just forget about it, Estella I want to show you something cool I found in the forest”

“ What is it?”

“ I can’t find the words to describe my discovery but I want you to come with me to go see it.”

“Joshua but you know that mother won’t let me leave the house unless dad is with us.” 

“Well she has to understand that we aren’t children anymore, we can make our own choice.”

“Besides what are we supposed to do? father is out doing business in the capital right now and he won’t be back for a few days.”

“We can talk about this later, did you tell mother your home yet.”

“Not yet but I will confront her about this when I go to greet her.”

“Joshua, why do you want to take me so badly? Is it really that hard to just tell me about it.”

“Just forget it, we can talk about this again when I get an answer from mother”

After I parted ways with my sister, I made my way to see mother. As I made my way there I was greeted by Klaus, our butler who has been serving our family for as long as I can remember.

“Good day young master”

“Klaus where is mother?”

“ The master is currently in her bedroom would you like me to get her for you?”

“No that will do”

I continued straight ahead  to the living room where Estella was awaiting my return. I knew what I had to do next. If everything works out just as planned then I knew that I would be able to take Estella outside.

After Estella and I talked for a bit, we were called down by Klaus for dinner. We made plans to leave tonight and come back without anyone noticing we were gone. We then made our way down to the dinner table and each took a seat in our designated spot. Estella was next to me and then mother would sit across from us. As we started to eat mother started a conversation.

“Joshua where are you off to later tonight?”

“How did you find out?”

Klaus who was standing next to mother spoke up.

“I’m very sorry young master but I overheard. My job is to keep both of you safe from danger.”

“ It’s not your fault I know your just doing your job.”

“Joshua come to me right this instant!”

I made my way around the table and there I was standing in front of her I knew what was coming. A slap across my face. All that was left was a burning sensation and a handprint on my right cheek.

“ Who do you think you are to take Estella anywhere near a place that dangerous. If anything happens to her you know I have no trouble kicking you out of this household. Hell you're not even part of our family.”

I couldn’t control myself anymore I stormed out of the dining hall and back to my room. I already knew how she felt about me honestly but I just couldn’t believe the fact that she would actually say that. Tonight was the last straw and my last night here I’m going to leave this place and never look back.. Later that night I packed all of my belongings and made my way out to the front door of the manor Until suddenly I had an expected visitor.  It was Estella. 

“Big Brother where are you going so late at night?”

“I’m sorry Estella I don’t know if I can be your brother for much longer.”

“Mother didn’t mean it, she was only trying to”

“Estella its ok you don’t have to cover for her I know what she meant but if it’s to protect you I’ll do anything,because I owe everything to your family. They took me in after I was left at their doorstep. My time is up, I’m afraid. Thank you for taking care of me.”

As I made my way out the door across the town and past the flower bed of roses surrounding the village, I finally reached my destination the entrance to the “Forest of Life”. As I made my way in I start to hear footsteps the sounds of something small and fragile.

“Estella I know your there just come out already”

“Was it that obvious” 

“Let this be a lesson to you that when you walk maybe it would be better to pick up your feet and probably not to run oh and hiding the hedge only make it more obvious as you are making sounds. Aside from that stop following me it will only make mother even more worried about you.”

“I just want to see that surprise that you were talking about I mean might as well since were in the forest right?”

“Yes but didn’t she warn you not to listen to anything I do or say?”

“If it’s really the last time I get to see you then I want it to be a lasting memories.”

She started to walk closer to me and then she grabs my hand and held onto it tightly. We then started to make our way to the inner sanctum of the forest. Soon came a sight to behold. Estella soon came to understand the beauty of the 100 feet tree right in front of her. At night it was more beautiful then I saw before, with fireflies acting as a light making the tree glow brighter than the stars in the sky.

“It’s beautiful, now I understand why you wanted me to come out and see it for myself brother”

“I'm glad that I was able to come to see this with you Estella.”

“ I think it’s time to head back it getting really late so I’ll escort you back to the manor.” 

We then started to make our way back, when suddenly the hedge in front of us started to rustle. At the beginning I thought that maybe it was someone who was also wandering the forest, it could also be someone that mother sent to bring back Estella. I was completely wrong.

It’s fierces cry’s echoes throughout the forest the sight brings fears to all who gaze upon it. I thought it was only a legend, but I was proven wrong. The king of the forest was what the legends called it. Legend has it that it has the ability to manifest itself as what most people would refer to as their worst nightmare. The situation was grave, there was no turning back all we could do was pray that we could make it out safe and unharmed. I knew what I had to do. It soon rushed at us swiping it dangerous sharpened claws at us. I grabbed Estella at the last second I used my own body as a shield to protect her. The claws struck me, penetrating deep into my back. The wound was deep and the bleeding wasn’t stopping. I knew my time has come, I was happy that this useless body of my was able to protect the people I love.