The Two Faced Gemstone | Teen Ink

The Two Faced Gemstone

It was a cold and gloomy evening, the sun was beginning to set shining a dull yet bright light.Charles could hardly see as he stumbled across rocks in the endless stream.He glanced at his map, it shows the stream that goes through a town. Which where he came from. He then sees a path that goes into a bundle of trees surrounding a temple in the center. Charles marked an X on the temple. “That is where i need to go” he thought to himself. He then realized he was not alone; he then met a fellow stranger wandering through the forest. It seemed like he’s been lost for a while and by the looks of his ribs he hasn’t ate in a while.The man then noticed him, approached him and asked” please, i am in need of food; do you have any to spare?” Charles then looked at his bag and thought for a moment. Should he really sacrifice his food for the one individual? He only had one apple left in his bag, but by the look of the man’s appearance it seemed like he needed it more. He then handed him the apple. “I see that you are starving so i shall sacrifice my last apple to you” he said. The man gratefully accepted the apple. “Thanks, it's been awhile since i last ate anything. I was trying to find something”.  Charles then asked, “what were you looking for?” “well there is this gemstone that is said to be worth a lot of money and i wanted to get it before anyone else does”. Charles then seemed surprised, “that is the same reason why i am wandering in this forest. If we work together then we can both split the money” the man seemed thrilled by the idea. “That's not a bad idea. I could use some assistance getting there” they both then agreed to work together and split the money, however the man put his hand behind his back and crossed his fingers. The sun had already set and the boys had set up a fire and began to set up the tent. “By the way” charles asked “you never gave me your name”. The man then replied “it's leeroy but you can call me lee”. Charles then introduced himself. “We’re nearly there, we shall leave at dawn”. They both slept, or one of them did. Lee then rummaged through charles bag and emptied it. He then took the map and headed off ahead. The next morning charles woke up to see all his stuff gone but what was left was a note.Charles then began reading the note. “Im sorry it had to be this way but, im claiming this treasure for myself, i don't agree on splitting the money because it will soon become all mine. Luckily charles memorized the map and went after lee.fortunately lee wasn’t that far ahead. “Stop right there! I thought we had a agreement” lee suddenly stopped then looked at charles then back at the treasure. “Sorry” he said “ but this opportunity doesn’t come twice” he then entered the temple and took his first step which was his last before he fell into a pit. Charles then sees him in the pit. He ignores him then jumps over the pit to claim the treasure. Lee then calls out for help” please help me get me out of this pit” lee begs. Charles suddenly stops then look at lee then back at the treasure that he is holding. “Sorry but this is a once in a ‘lifetime opportunity. He then heads back into town and exchanged all his findings into currency. In his mind all he could ever think about was “he had it coming”.