Lost Voyage | Teen Ink

Lost Voyage

May 3, 2019
By lrm28 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lrm28 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sky was full of stars as the moon looked down upon the ocean. The horizon blurred between the deep sea and the pitch black of night. Nothing could be detected during the dark hours. A  lighthouse lightly illuminated the voyagers’ path every time the light struck in their direction. Yet, these voyagers were prepared for it all.

The knight and his crew belonged to a kingdom long lost to civilization. Their only hope left for salvation was to find the Chest of Secrets: a box hidden centuries ago that held the secrets to any kingdom’s desire. Barely able to feed his people, the King sent his bravest knight and his best crew out to seek this box, hoping to alleviate the kingdom’s collapse.

All you could hear were the ocean waves splashing against the ship. The best ship in all the kingdom, built from the strongest evergreens grown forty feet tall deep in the forest. Designed by a descendant of the ones who composed the very castle that stands today. Made to accommodate eleven men, it would not hold out for much longer as it shook from contact with an unknown creature. Repeatedly hitting the sides of the boat, rocking it left and right, left and right, left.

Men scattered all around. Some stomping their feet in unison as they headed to the armory room. The armory room, where they prepared for a situation like this. Others looked over the ship into the water where ahead they spotted the silhouette of the lighthouse, filling them with relief. Following the light that glistened over the surface of the ocean waters back to their ship, a deep green color began enclosing around them. Not sure of which direction this creature may emerge from, the Knight and his men scrambled for their weapons and took positions around the ship.

The water calmed as the ship continued on its path. The knight and his men stood perfectly still and for a few moments there was utter silence. Nothing but the crashing waves against the ship filled the air yet again, as if the creature knew they were waiting for it to make the first move. Rightfully so, the men were frightened by the uncertainty that radiated from the ocean.