Drifting Through Space | Teen Ink

Drifting Through Space

By uglycupofdirt BRONZE, Houston, Texas
uglycupofdirt BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Her eyelids burned as she slowly opened them to slits.

“What is this?” She thought, still drowsy. “Oh..” the gears in her head began to turn. “this  place again.”

She rested her head on the rubbery bubble. She had been in this dream before. It was the only one that followed real time. She looked down at

“What is this?” She thought, still drowsy. “Oh..” the gears in her head began to turn. “this place again.”
She rested her head on the rubbery bubble. She had been in this dream before. It was the only one that followed real time. She looked down at her watch that lay across her pale wrist, but it didn't seem to be working correctly. Not in this dream. Because she was in a bubble. A bubble drifting through space.

11:06 PM

She wanted to stand up and stretch. Her bones were aching and her head was pounding. But the last time she did that, the bubble began to shrink. She turned her head and stared back. A distance away she could see Mars. The last time she had this dream, there were no planets at all.

11:14 PM

She tried to remember how long she was here the last time. Around forty-five minutes at most. But then everything had gone white and she had opened her eyes to a fierce tiger circling her. She shivered at the thought of that dream.
She guessed she had been in this rubbery substance for around fifteen to twenty minutes now. She remembered last time she had panicked, and by pounding on the sides of the bubble, it had popped. That's when it had gone all white.
She didn't really want to do that again. She closed her eyes, making the decision to sleep instead of dealing with the pain of blinking.

11:43 PM

“Renyae? Renyae!”
“Finally,” she thought, her eyes still closed, “that dream was taking forever.” She opened her eyes, but she was still in space. Where did her mother's voice come from? She turned her head to see what she didn’t believe was real.
“Mom?!” she had never seen another person in her dreams before.
“Renyae, I know you're scared, sweetie, stay calm! I'm here!”
“Mom are we sharing a dream?”
“Honey, this isn't a dream. Now, wait a second until I can get closer..”
“Not a- Mom. I'm almost positive this is a dream.”
“Oh honey, don't you remember? When we were a-”
Then and there, a big, black, threatening hole ripped open. Renyae was slowly being pulled into the hole. It felt.. real.
“Renyae!” her mother was speeding toward her.
“No mom, don't!” But it was too late. Her mom rammed into her, sending Renyae flying away from the black hole. She turned to see her mother taking her place.
“Mom, no!” Renyae screamed through tears. Her mother smiled at her, tears staining her face. She opened her mouth to speak, but the hole swallowed her, taking the voice from her mother and the heart from Renyae.

12:07 AM

“Stupid.” she struggled to have the words escape her mouth.
“It's impossible to sleep in a dream.” The memories flooded her mind with tears. She could only imagine that her mother was dead. But if her mom had been here, were there others too? If she popped the bubble would she really-
“No.”
She didn't want to think about that. She didn't want to think about any of this.

The sounding of birds flew through the air.
“Birds?” Renyae thought. “In space?” she opened her eyes.
“I- I'm home! I'm really home!”
She jumped out of bed. “Mom?” she yelled “Dad?” she ran downstairs, she wanted to feel the rays of sunshine slap her face. She stepped outside. The happy face turned to a sudden dead stare.
Bodies scattered over the brown-grey grass. Someone- or something, ran by so fast you couldn't see it. She ran back inside.
“This is must be what mom was talking about,” she whispered to herself, “but then.. how did I get back here?”
A snap was all it took to confirm she wasn't alone.
Something was in the house. She tiptoed to the couch. From there, she could see into the kitchen. And she could also see a big grey figure. She couldn't help but scream. And before she could blink, the creature was right in front of her.

12:37 AM

She woke up screaming so loud in such a small bubble, for a second, she couldn't hear anything at all. She struggled to remember. This was definitely what mom was talking about.
“Wait…” her head was pounding with memories. She was remembering more than she wanted to.

She had a flash of memories. Her family rushing to the nearby NASA station that created rubbery bubbles containing oxygen so people could escape. Her mother had jumped into one, and then she to another.

And her father failing to fight back. And her bubble hit a roof, knocking her clean out.
Tears streamed down Renyae’s face. She desperately gasped for air. What was happening? She tried to speak, but nothing came out. She stretched her throat, the tears once streaming her face were coming to a stop. She looked at her hand, a blue-grey color. Renyae’s final breath left her as the final memories washed away her mind.

her watch that lay across her pale wrist, but it didn't seem to be working correctly. Not in this dream. Because she was in a bubble. A bubble drifting through space.

11:06 PM

11:14 PM

11:43 PM

“Renyae? Renyae!”

“Renyae, I know you're scared, sweeti

11:06 PM

11:14 PM

11:43 PM

“Renyae? Renyae!”
“Mom are we sharing a dream?”

12:07 AM

“No.”

“I- I'm home! I'm really home!”

12:37 AM

e, stay calm! I'm here!”

“Mom are we sharing a dream?”

12:07 AM

“No.”

“I- I'm home! I'm really home!”

12:37 AM

I wrote this story for a school asignment in my creative writing class, but once I finished it, I began to love and share it. I like reading it back every once in awhile and improving it. Im now turning it in for a portfolio at the school im auditioning for, and feel its at its best point.