Colby-Sawyer College | Teen Ink

Colby-Sawyer College MAG

By Kimberly Faust BRONZE, Raymond, New Hampshire
Kimberly Faust BRONZE, Raymond, New Hampshire

New London, NH: The college search is a daunting task. Most of the time you do not know where to start or what to look for. When I was looking into colleges, I started my search with smaller schools that had a good educational platform and a close-knit, safe community. Plus, I wanted to stay in my home state of New Hampshire. I came from a very small town, with only 70 students in my graduating class, so when I researched Colby-Sawyer College, I thought that I would fit in perfectly.

Colby-Sawyer College is a four-year private liberal arts college located in a small town in Central New Hampshire. If you know anything about New Hampshire, you will know that it gets more rural the further north you travel. The college is set in the heart of the mountains, with an amazing view from anywhere on campus, and is only a few miles down the road from Lake Sunapee.

This school caught my attention on my very first visit. I’ll never forget the crisp chill in the air on that day in November, along with the amazing surroundings. Despite the cold day, everyone I encountered was extremely friendly. As I walked around, I could easily imagine myself living and studying there next year.

The atmosphere was another factor I considered when researching which college would be the right fit for me. I’m used to everyone knowing everyone else at my high school, and all of the teachers having a relationship with the students. I did not want to give that up at college.

As soon as I arrived on Colby-Sawyer’s campus, I could feel and see what an overwhelmingly joyful place this college truly was. As I walked through Colgate Hall, the college’s main building that holds classrooms, offices, the financial aid office, and the administration office, I noticed a sign welcoming me to the school. That was when I knew that this school was not going to treat me as just a number. It gave me the feeling that it was going to change me, and I hoped that I could change it too.

Learn more at www.colby-sawyer.edu.