Free-Range | Teen Ink

Free-Range MAG

March 18, 2008
By Anonymous

I grew up free-range, or what’s commonly called unschooled. I never attended school, nor did I follow a curriculum at home; instead I taught myself what I wanted to learn, when I wanted to. As my education followed my curiosity, I didn’t waste time studying topics I was not interested in and would never use. I always had a say in my life and was expected to participate in decisions, especially around my ­education.

The flip side of this was responsibility. I was responsible for my education and took it seriously. When tests were approaching, I was expected to prepare. It was my job to actively pursue my interests, to seek out knowledge and resources. But I was never forced to learn, with the consequence that I loved it (as I still do). Sometimes my craving for knowledge did lead to textbooks, if I felt they were the best source of the information, but often I learned from watching, talking, and ­engaging.

Never categorizing my education, I saw it as an intertwined, organic whole. One thing led to another ­without ­restriction. As I matured so did my ­interests, which of course dictated my study. My fascination with animals and behavior grew into psychology and neuroscience, and my family’s activism sparked my interest in government and politics. My freedom let me pursue a career as a fashion model, traveling the world for work. Most of all, my upbringing gave me valuable tools with which to approach the world: curiosity, research skills, work ethic, open-mindedness, individuality.

So what will I do with these tools? I want to spend my life working on issues I care about and having an impact on the world. Currently I see myself accomplishing that as a researcher and policy analyst working in international poverty alleviation and conflict resolution. I’m captivated by development, peaceful alternatives to war, employee-owned businesses, and equal distribution of resources. Taxation and public service are among my ­favorite subjects. I see myself investigating these to find options that are effective, and advising politicians on how to put research into action. My work is making ideals into reality.

Additionally, I plan to work in cognitive research, studying the mind and brain. I’m eager to tackle questions about what thoughts really are, how we understand stories, and why we experience curiosity. Now, I soak up reports on intelligence, morality, and human interactions; eventually I want to write them. I will approach the philosophical theme of why we do what we do (and what exactly it is we’re doing anyway) from a neuroscientific ­angle. I will help clarify who humans are.

Meanwhile the present me is at a crossroads between the free-range kid and the neuroscientist and policy analyst. I work as a fashion model, volunteer with a variety of organizations, and read Scientific American Mind from cover to cover. But my main activity is training and competing with my dog – we’re aiming for national competition. Success is important to me, almost as important as pursuing my dreams.

I’m motivated, open-minded, conscientious, and ambitious. I’m not entirely sure where I’m going next in life, but when I get there I’ll work hard, think freely, and juice it for all it’s worth.