The Red Bandana | Teen Ink

The Red Bandana

There are many stories about brave firefighters and policemen who gave up their lives on that fall morning. They were prepared for the tragedy that was at hand. It was the average men that acted so bravely, were not trained to handle a catastrophe, that were the hero’s of that September morning.

There is a story about a man who was in the south tower of the World Trade Center; he was neither a fireman nor a police man. He didn’t wake up thinking he would be in harms way, for him it was just another day. When the plane hit his tower he didn’t have to stay and help people. He could have done what most people did, get to a stair well and get out of the tower. However, he chose to stay, not because that was his job, but because there was something inside him that told him go and help anyone who was trapped. Many people were saved that day by a fireman or a police officer, but several people say they were saved by a man wearing a white T-shirt and a red bandana over his mouth and nose to keep smoke from filling his lungs. There are also countless other stories of average people performing extraordinary deeds. They are the true hero’s of that day. They reminded every American citizen that they to have the capacity in them to do a great and noble act, they simply have to be in the right place at the right time. The man in the red bandana that died that day was Welles Crowther, his body was found next to two firemen, and he was 24 years old.

There are some people that, to most appear to be ordinary average American’s. However in times of great peril those few people become extraordinary heroes. There actions have inspired a Nation and given hope to the world.