Sisters, Sisters | Teen Ink

Sisters, Sisters

By rosieposie GOLD, Fountain Valley, California
rosieposie GOLD, Fountain Valley, California

Having a sister is both a gift and a curse anyway you look at it. A sister is great to have because no matter where you go or what you do, you will always have a best friend and mentor. And because she’s family, your sister has to accept you for who you are. Later in life, you realize that your sister has basically become a part of you.” On the downside, having a sister also means unfair comparisons and sharing the spotlight. If your sister is a show-off, like mine, you look forward to the day she finally moves into a college dorm. You think your life will be bliss. But suddenly you see your best friend isn’t around anymore. And you realize that having her back is worth more than anything in the world. It’s just as they say, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

Because I grew up with a sister, I was never too concerned with making friends at school. Whether I had friends or not, I still had my sister. I could tell her anything, literally. When we couldn’t sleep, we used to meet up and talk for hours. And because we lived with each other our whole life, we had thousands of inside jokes that no one else would understand. My sister and I even have many of the same interests, which includes watching detective shows. We always loved pretending to be FBI agents when our parents weren’t home or someone was at the door. You could even say we kept an eye on our neighborhood, by watching out for any “strange activity.” My sister is also my tutor and mentor. I always ask her about certain classes or teachers because she already had them. And because she’s my sister, she would always help me with my homework. Academically, she’s a great role model, which makes her the best tutor I could ever ask for. But in the real world, she makes mistakes, just like everyone else; and I learn from them; now I know to NEVER buy a motor scooter. In a way, older sisters are like prototypes; they go through everything first so you know exactly what to do.
Now that we’ve both gotten older, I have realized that sisters can be somewhat of a pain. I can remember all the times my sister has manipulated, and made fun of me as we were growing up. But then again, whose sibling hasn’t done that to them? In my family, academics are really important. Exhibit A: my sister. Everyone knows what a genius she is. That’s great and all, but now I have to live under her shadow. I will always be compared to her just because she’s my sister. On top of all that, my sister is a show-off. Whether she’s making cookies or taking an AP test, she must do better than everyone else AND rub it in their face. This “trait” of hers has made me a shy person, always able to entertain myself. But on the up side, it has also made me the kind and humble person I am today.

For the few months that my sister was applying to college, I began to hate her. Everything was about her…Susie this, Susie that. She had my parents working on financial aid forms for weeks! So I couldn’t wait till the day we finally moved her in to her dorm. But only after a few weeks of her being gone did I realize the sad part of her going to college; I don’t have my best friend with me wherever I go. Now I have to deal with the annoying cousins on my own. She’s not there to answer any questions I have about school. She’s not there when I can’t sleep. She’s not even there when I just want to play outside. So I guess the saying is true, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

For all the bad memories I have of my sister, there are twice as many good ones, filled with jokes, laughs, and fun times. Having a sister shapes who you are as a person. My showy and driven sister has made me tolerant and humble. When you have a sister you get along with, it’s hard to find a friend that can fill that void. As Barbara Mathis once said, “Your sister is your other self. She is your alter ego, your reflection, your foil, your shadow.”