Dain Bramage and Football | Teen Ink

Dain Bramage and Football

Football has a lasting impact on the brain, so much so that I can feel it myself. I’ve played football for most of my life, or at least as long as I can remember. Waking up in the morning is like a silent, black and white movie, you have no clue what is happening and can’t hear anything. After I get the ball rolling each morning I take 3 pounds of ibuprofen to numb the pain. Once the ibuprofen kicks in, I’m ready to wake up and take some ibuprofen. Then after I finish that I’m ready to get out of bed and take some ibuprofen. Seriously, the pain never stops, I am always trapped inside of a fog, where everything sounds like it's miles away, and that I am not actually in my body. Therefore I believe football should be made safer so that other young men do not turn into vegetables. 

In order to make football safer we should implement bubble wrap in the helmets. Personally I think bubble wrap would stop the concussion issue altogether. Whatever padding they put in those helmets is clearly not good enough. In movies like “The Water Boy” they make football seem so easy and light. In movies like “The Blind Side” they never show you the guys on the sidelines that are learning to walk again, they never show you the men that can’t move their arms and legs. I do have to give credit to the real NFL players though, those guys getting smacked around and beaten for a job. Lots of NFL players go insane during their time in the league. Take Antonio Brown for example, he used to be scoring touchdowns in Pittsburgh, now he's flashing women in Dubai. Aaron Hernandez turned into a murderer for god sakes.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a huge problem in the world nowadays, one day a player is at the top of their game, the next day they are hearing voices and seeing monsters and demons. One time while I was playing I looked over to the sidelines, and saw my teammate, running in circles screaming “nightmare, nightmare, nightmare” now I don’t know if that’s normal to you but it is too me, happens all the time. Personally I have had some pretty scary head injuries myself. During a game I was running down the field and out of nowhere, a 

6 '7'' freight train of a man decked me , I mean absolutely cleaned my clock, rung my bell if you will. Getting up after that hit was no small task, so I just didn’t. I layed on the ground in complete darkness for what felt like hours, I was told it was 15 seconds, but to me it felt like centuries. When I was finally peeled off the turf, the voices started. Started chanting my name and I felt like the king of the world, until I realized I was sitting in my room at home.

Another way that would help things like that from being prevented is simply, taking the brain out of football. If we just played football using VR and made robots tackle each other it would cue a lot of the injury problems associated with football. Although the robots probably won't last too long, clashing into each other at 20 miles per hour. Just a thought. 

From experience Dain bramage in football has severely affected me, I can’t remember what I ate for breakfast, or the quadratic equation. Well I guess I never knew that in the first place. But the principle of it is that I walk around all day every day with a completely numb brain, no thoughts, no functions, absolutely nothing running through my head, except shockwaves of pain. In fact there is so little going through my head that I can sit and stare at a wall for a solid hour without ever questioning the reasoning. 

In conclusion, dain bramage is a huge issue. I know many people who suffer from brain issues from football. Many ex NFL players end up killing themselves as a result of this. It is a serious issue in our world today. I am also afraid for some of my friends who went on to play football in college as CTE has been found in kids as young as 16! Hopefully I’m safe from it, considering I played about 10 plays a game!