Why have you chosen this degree? | Teen Ink

Why have you chosen this degree?

By samH SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
samH SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin

I have chosen to pursue Political Science and Business Administration because both will assist me in my ultimate career goal which is to become a litigation lawyer. My hope is to double major.  I love giving back to my community, and I believe that becoming a lawyer will be the ultimate way for me to invest in that community. I am an avid debater and a hard worker which are two things I believe every lawyer needs to be. 

I chose Political Science because this degree will aid me in debating skills and help me better understand the political institutions in my community before I attend law school. It will also improve my personal organization, human relations, writing, communication, and statistical skills. I chose Business Administration because it is said to develop leadership skills but also lend a competitive edge to students who take it. These are skills that will obviously aid me in the courtroom but if for some reason I decide not to pursue being a lawyer, these skills will translate well to other jobs like law enforcement or running a business in my community in some form.       

That said I am confident in my abilities to become a lawyer because of my passion for law and my father himself passing the L-SAT. I should be the recipient of this scholarship because no matter where I go to school, I know that I will be successful.  I am the type of person who is relentless in pursuit of goals.  As an example, I was especially proud to achieve my goal of becoming a lifeguard during Covid times.  I was able to become completely certified as a waterfront lifeguard with AED and CPR training is about one week.  and will put the money to good use to further my education which will lead to giving back to my community in the form of a lawyer or some other civil servant.

This was for a scholarship at the local county sherif office.