Road Mind | Teen Ink

Road Mind

By SmilyC5467, Santa Ana, California
SmilyC5467, Santa Ana, California

Author's note:

My name Cesar Rosales, I'm in 8th grade, and I'm looking forward to get my book published.

Thank you,

No notes for this chapter.

Rain drops were falling from the sky as they hit that dark quiet road, In the distance cars are racing the loud roaring sound of v10 engine; blue, and red flashing lights following a car, gunshots, and bullets hitting metal can be heard getting louder and louder.

“LEO, can you go any faster they're right behind us!!” I say while passing red lights in a BMW “Come on you stupid car faster, FASTER” as I look away for just one sec and “BANG“ screeching sound was coming from outside the car, the back right tires were shot, the car than uncontrollably drifting to the right and almost missed the sidewalk on the bridge and broke thru the concrete wall crashing in to the river before the screen said GAME OVER!

“NO, we were so close” Frustrated, I took my headphones off and walked around the house and took deep breaths. “Leo, can you help me clean my car please?” My brother called me from his garage. 

“I’ll be down their in a bit, just… give me a sec” 

“Hurry up then” I rushed to get my shoes and hat and went to the garage 

“Ok, I'm here Wassap?”

“We just need to vacuum, change the battery, change my wheels, and we’re done. Its that easy really.” 

I looked at him with my mouth wide open knowing that not only that I have zero, absolute ZERO! Idea or experience how to do any of those things except the vacuuming part. 

“Ok I have an idea how about I just vacuum and we call it a day sounds good?”

“If you say so, but that means u cant use my car to go anywhere, Deal, or no deal?”

“Ok deal then?”

* * *

“Ooof, finally I’m done! Can I go now!?!”

“Well I guess yeah whatever go do what you do best”

I went to my room and just jumped on my bed stressed, I could hear my phone ringing, it was Eduardo, I answered “Yellow” and there was a long awkward silence and “beeb, beed” and hanged up “Weird” 

I thought to myself and than my dad texted me if I wanted anything from “In an Out” I knew that there was nothing good in the kitchen so I just asked for a burger, because my dad didn't make much but we still got a nice big house with a roof over are head so yea.My brother was finished with his car while I was watching a show,
“Hey little man, is dad here yet?”

“Naw, not yet did he ask you what you want from In an Out?”

“Yea; what are you watching?”

Right before I answered we heard a car honk outside and we both rushed outside to find that dad was home with dinner.

“You boys think you can give me a hand with the grocery’s.”

“Oh for sure,” I said, smelling the food in the white, In and Out, bag

“Hey little man, i'll carry the big bags and you carry the egg carton

My brother was really tall and buff, and looks like someone who can play basketball but he has no interest in sports at all.

So I carried the egg carton bag and went in the house to the kitchen to place the items on the kitchen counter and put all of the groceries in the fridge, and everyone went into the dinning room to eat dinner.

“Man, this is a good burger” said my dad while munching on his protein burger.

“Hey Leo, how's your buddy Edwardo?”

“He's alright I guess, I guess. he butt called me, after I finished helping my brother”

“Is that so?” He said with a stare at Michle.

“Hey dad, when can I get my first car?”

“Soon but you have to do good in school, you have all A’s, just one F in math, if you can fix that grade you can get your first car.”

Math was one of my challenges in school so it was really hard to fix.

“Hey Michle, you mind getting us a drink?”

“Sure” after my brother went to the kitchen.

“So, you have girl you like at school.”

“No dad you know I don't like anyone at school.”

As my dad finishes his fries without looking at me once.

“Here you guys go” as me and my dad get are drinks.”

“I have to go to study for work,  I’ll be in my room, and don't bother me” My dad said as he went upstairs to his room. 

“All right dad”

After my dad left I finished watching the game and clean up.

Damn, My dad sure loves his fries.” His small cardboard box from “In and Out,” It was getting dark so, after Michle, clean up he went his room while I finished washing the dishes, than afterwards I turn off all the lights and went to my room, and my room and turned on my lights,

And the room was lit with blue and purple lights all around the edges of the ceiling, and on my wall are collections of different katana’s.

“Finally, peace of silence.” 

I texted Eduardo for planes tomorrow because I don't have school for a while. 

“Ding!”

My phone got a notification it was from Eddie, 

“Hey man there's a concert at mile square park wanna come, It starts at 7:30pm tomorrow bring your brother if you want to alright, night”

I gave the text a thumbs up emoji, with a respond 

“I’m in.”

Turned my phone off, and closed my eyes and listened to the rain drop from outside.

I was trying to make Leo to get chassed but I don't know what to do to make that event happen.

“Hey Michel!” 

My dad called my brother, and I waited for them to leave so they could go to work while I got ready for the concert. I called Eddie and he answered.

“Hey Eddie, who's taking us?”

“Aren't you taking us?”

“I cant my brother wont let me use his car for this week”

“He won't know just put the same amount of gas, and leave it clean that's all”

“I guess but what if he finds out, just say you were looking for something in his car”

“Ok, than but i'm just saying if I do get caught i'm blaming it on you”

“Ok than, see you soon”

Then I hung up and looked for his keys and well I was nervous while looking for his keys, because he is huge and buff because like I said, he looks like a basketball player, like dood the “Lakers” need a center.

I Found the keys and went to the garage, and looked at his gray “2022, Acura NSX” thinking to myself “Should I, should I? I shouldn't but my friends are counting on me, just keep the car clean and same gas, that's it”

Than I got back the courage to take it,
“Let's do this”

I went to the driver side of the car and unlocked the car, than went inside and felt the steering wheel of the car and admired it.

I turned the engine on and heard the v6 engine roaring from the car and it felt great when the car shook a little when turning the engine on.

I remotely opened the garage door and gripped the wheel tightly.

* * *

While on the way to pick up Eddie at his house I kept seeing cops near where I was going, which is making me nervous because in my mind i'm thinking, “Don't go fast, don't go fast” I was sweating, kept telling myself to breathe and stay calm. Eventually I made it to Eddie's house and asked him about the cops and he said

“I don't know to be honest man, but let's not waste any time”

He hoped in the passenger seat, and we drove off. We were a couple miles away and we can see the pot lights in the sky from the concert.

“Must be a really big concert, right?” I asked Eddie

“Yea it is”

*10 min later*

We were in line to get the tickets for the concert and we got in the front row. Then we heard police sirens from the distance, cop cars surrounded the area. The owner of the event came out of the building to the cops.

“Can I help you guys with something?”

The chief walked up to him and said

“There's been a report of a robbery just down the street and were wondering if you have evidence”

“Nop, I have no idea about any of that”

And the conversation just keeps going, and Eddie says
“Hey man I don't think I want to be here any more lets just go somewhere to eat and just go home”

“Yea your right, lets just go” I said
As we walked back to the car we got yelled at.
“HEY!, the hell you guys are going, we have to search you before you guys can go” the chief said.

I panicked, and my hands were sweating, and suddenly we hear the engine of an electric car and more sirens, I looked at were the sound was coming from and I saw a black electric sports car with bright red LED light wheels, the car almost looked like a lambo, and from the future.

All the cops then left to chase after the car.

“YO, let's go come on” Eddie yelled at me

Without a thot I got in the car and left the parking lot to the street,

Once we were back on the street, I changed the car to Neutral and left, back to the house knowing its not safe on the streets anymore, and as soon I turn to the street to Eddie's house cops were chasing us which then made me pass Eddie's house Because know the cops are after us too.

“Leo where do we go?”

As I was thinking I said “where going out of town”

Now the clock was ticking, gas was about to run out, I could hear helicopters near us. I keep racing to get out of town. I see Eddie in his seat panicking.

“We're going to jail” says Eddie while crying in his seat. Then all of the sudden I heard new Syrians following us, I looked in the mirror and saw three bulky black vans getting closer and closer. I can see that we were on the freeway streets being closed off. Every street we pass about three to five police cars follow us then we are being followed by like fifty cop cars and Eddie yells out.

“Theirs cops coming towards us up ahead”

As I saw the cars coming towards us I saw a grass hill to the right, and speeded up faster seeing that I was going past 220, and keeping a good grip on the steering wheel I turned to the hill and went over the fence to the public street and went to the dark side of the street. 

“Look there's an open garage door, go their” said Eddie

“OK we will but we need to hide the car, Look there's a junk yard there I’ll hide the car and you go in the garage and wait for me there” Eddie got off the car and ran to the dark open garage. I parked the car across the street in the junkyard and took the handgun in my brothers glove department and loaded it before getting off and running to the garage. I was still able to see from the Moon light and I closed the garage door and called Eddie but no response. Fire was lit behind me and I saw a man with a red Mohawk and four other guys with knives. The man with the Mohawk had a knife to Eddie's head.

“Why are you here?”

“We're running away, just let him go” I said with a serious face. I could see Eddie crying to help him and pulled out the gun.

“Let him, go”

The Mohawk guy, kicked Eddie to the floor and pulled out his shotgun aiming it to Eddie. Without hesitation i pulled the trigger hitting the man in the chest.