Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus | Teen Ink

Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus MAG

By NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan

Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

Miles to Go took me on a road trip through the life of a girl I thought I already knew everything about. Boy, was I wrong. With every sentence, I felt like Miley was talking to me, having a sister-to-sister chat. She wrote this book with her heart, and that is why it is so meaningful.

Miley is not a cookie-cutter celebrity, like many say. She knows where she came from and won’t forget it. She lives by her values and holds onto her strong faith.

Miley’s family is always her top priority. While she may be famous and live in L.A., who she is hasn’t changed. If her little sister, Noah, wants her to stay home and watch a movie, Miley will. Even if Miley gets invited to a celebrity party, it’s clear that she will choose her family first.

My favorite part of the book was when she talks about Vanessa, a girl who was, as Miley puts it, “the sister God forgot to give me.” Vanessa was a 9-year-old suffering from cystic fibrosis. Miley met her at a hospital and they became instant friends. Miley kept in contact with her family and often visited Vanessa at the hospital or called when she was on tour. One day Miley called only to find out that Vanessa’s time on Earth had ended. Miley was devastated. She immediately got off the tour bus and lay down in a frozen field. This was when Miley realized how much she had needed Vanessa, and how important it is to love every day and not take it for granted. This was just one of Miley’s many beautiful stories.

Somewhere between introducing us to Pappy Cyrus, who changed so many lives, learning to accept her “cankles,” and sharing her love for eating eggs with syrup, Miley connects with readers. For someone so young, Miley is one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen. Her fame hasn’t changed her; she stays grounded with the help of her family and her faith.

When this book came out, I became Miley’s number-one fan all over again. In reading Miles to Go, I felt like a part of the family.

Madi_Jewels SILVER, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
aww im so flattered tht u replied!!!! my teacher said that he wanted us to start to learn how to properly write non-fiction and he shared yours and one other (From a Dance Team Girl). I loved them both so much and I knew that if i were that writer I would want to know. Haha you sound so sweet!!!!!!! I'm not even in highschool yet----- but i take highschool classes. I'm in eighth (= haha...... quite a difference. Hey can you read my stuff? i know its very amature and simple (i wrote them all in like seventh grade.... and sixth) but I have like NO comments---- it's depressing. Great job! and sure I'll be your first number one fan!!!!!!!!!!! And i'll tell him that your flattered- i mean who wouldn't be??? haha

<33 Madi

haha oops! i forgot to log in when i left that last comment :)you can reply to this one so i get it :) thanks!!

~Alex

WOA, WOA, WOA!!! Your teacher read this to your class?! What?!! Seriously, when I read your comment, my jaw dropped to my feet!! That's probably the biggest compliment that I have ever gotten about my writing, because your teacher didn't only say that she liked it herself, but she showed that she liked it so much, she shared it with you and your classmates. Please, please, please tell her how much I appreciate that!! WOW! That's so nice!! So, what grade are you in? I'd love to keep in touch :) You can be my first "fan". Haha, I'm a Junior by the way :) Talk to you soon!

~Alex

hey well first off i want to say congrats because we read this in language arts today. so thts pretty cool to have a teacher share that with their class and then have us write a page about it. So props to u girlie! anyways i thought it was fantastic in language arts and now. yes i agree with people saying that maybe she isn't what she says she is but i know that if she were like that we would be hearing A LOT more about her.

When i read this book backstage during a performance for theater, I instantly fell in love with her. I never really had a fully appretiation for her until now. (i know i spelled a couple words wrong... (; ) Now when I see her playing Hannah or rocking out on stage I see her as not Miley Cyrus but more Destiny Hope Cyrus. I feel like I know her much more than I did before. Again awesome article and to anyone who is unsure about reading this do it. i didn't <33 miley before i read this and now i luv her! give it a go!

karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."
— Pablo Picasso

Your review was very well written. However, you insist that Miley, being "one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen," wrote this book all by herself. She has a ghostwriter, Hilary Liftin, as do most celebrity-authors. Therefore, it is likely that Liftin, being very well-paid, wrote most or all of the book. Who knows, maybe some of it is even made up (the part about Vanessa, perhaps)? All I'm saying is, you can't trust autobiographies/memoirs by celebrities to be by the celebrity or even true.

The same goes for when you wrote "Her fame hasn’t changed her". Unless you knew her both before and after she became famous, you can't say that. Reading a book that she may or may not have written does not give you an accurate description of her. EVEN IF she wrote certain parts of it herself, you cannot be sure that she meant what she was writing. If you were in her place, wouldn't you portray yourself as a celeb who's still a simple country girl at heart, and not actually some snob who knows all preteen girls worship her? Of course. So don't take the book so seriously as a brilliant piece of work.

Katrselyn said...
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois
this is awesome wrote it really well at first it sounded like miley as well!!!!! check what i have writtin!

on Jul. 24 2009 at 12:45 am
yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

I really REALLY want to read this book now. Thanks for a great review! :D

mybffismiley said...
I loved you article.It is very well written.I might get this book for my birthday,but,we'll see.

&#9829;D|annaa&#9829; BRONZE, Duxbury, Massachusetts
1 article 1 photo 2 comments
Very nice article, wonderfully written, and it respects everyone's opinions while giving your own point of view. I love Miley, and I think that she should be respected more then she is.

Lilly343 said...
I loved your article it was really nice i didn't know that miley cyrus wrote a book but now i do.I'll have to get it.

GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

ME TWO I HAVE TO READ IT AS WELL AND MILEY INSPIRES ME not that your artical didnt it was WONDERFUL!!!

HOPEMVP said...
I LOVED THIS REVIEW! I HAVE TOO READ THE BOOK AS WELL!