Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Miles to Go took me on a road trip through the life of a girl I thought I already knew everything about. Boy, was I wrong. With every sentence, I felt like Miley was talking to me, having a sister-to-sister chat. She wrote this book with her heart, and that is why it is so meaningful.

Miley is not a cookie-cutter celebrity, like many say. She knows where she came from and won’t forget it. She lives by her values and holds onto her strong faith.

Miley’s family is always her top priority. While she may be famous and live in L.A., who she is hasn’t changed. If her little sister, Noah, wants her to stay home and watch a movie, Miley will. Even if Miley gets invited to a celebrity party, it’s clear that she will choose her family first.

My favorite part of the book was when she talks about Vanessa, a girl who was, as Miley puts it, “the sister God forgot to give me.” Vanessa was a 9-year-old suffering from cystic fibrosis. Miley met her at a hospital and they became instant friends. Miley kept in contact with her family and often visited Vanessa at the hospital or called when she was on tour. One day Miley called only to find out that Vanessa’s time on Earth had ended. Miley was devastated. She immediately got off the tour bus and lay down in a frozen field. This was when Miley realized how much she had needed Vanessa, and how important it is to love every day and not take it for granted. This was just one of Miley’s many beautiful stories.

Somewhere between introducing us to Pappy Cyrus, who changed so many lives, learning to accept her “cankles,” and sharing her love for eating eggs with syrup, Miley connects with readers. For someone so young, Miley is one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen. Her fame hasn’t changed her; she stays grounded with the help of her family and her faith.

When this book came out, I became Miley’s number-one fan all over again. In reading Miles to Go, I felt like a part of the family.

xAllegria said...
Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:26 am
I guess it's interesting but frankly, the writing is like dishwater (or at least the extracts I've read). I mean, she skips from topic to topic (she starts off by talking about her HANDS!) and writes like she talks. I guess Miley fans will appreciate it anyways.

TaylorSwiftMusic4Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yes, it's true that she talked about a lot of different subjects and she does write like she is talking. But, that was her whole point from the beginning. She addressed a ton of things in her life and discussed them each at just the right amount so others would understand and not judge from rumors, but decide what to think for themselves after having read her words without the corruption. The whole point of her writing as she was talking was to make it sound like she was just talking to you... (more »)

notebookgirl said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 7:16 am
I've never read this book and I thought it was really conceited of Miley to write a book about herself but your article changed my mind and now I might actually read it

Miley didn't write the book just so she could talk about herself. She wrote it truthfully to set the rumors and haters straight. Everyone just assumes things in today's world and people are constantly judging others daily, and it's a hundred times worse when your every move is in the spotlight. I'm glad this book changed your perspective on her, because that was exactly her purpose (:

hippiegirlsmile replied...
I didn't think anything of her book,though I have never read it. now my opinion has changed after reading this and I think it sounds really sad and uplifting. I have been ripping on miley a lot for every one of her mistakes but I am starting to realizes that she is a person. even if she is a bad singer.

Averycullen said...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 9:09 am
I read this book, too, and I didn't really learn a lot about Miley that I didn't know before, but it was really cool to see the pictures and her handwritten captions for them!

Clarebear101 said...
i totally agree with ur review! it was an amazing book and totally not what i expected!

StormyJ said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:07 am
Sounds like a GOOD book! I might buy it, I'm a HALF MILEY FAN! SO YEAH!!!!!!!!

Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:53 am
Haha, it really is a GOOD book :] Who knows? It could be enough to make you a whole Miley fan instead of just a half of one :]

DeadlyPoppy said...
I'm definitely not a big Miley Cyrus fan, but I will admit that I don't know a lot about her, and after reading this review, I think I'll read the book. Thanks!

Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:50 am
Yes, even if you're not that big of a fan, I think you would enjoy the book. It gives you a totally different perspective because it's coming straight from Miley, herself, and not from a gossip site, magazine, or mouth.

logannycole said...
I have to admit that before I bought Miles to Go, I wasn't sure how I felt about Miley Cyrus. When I finished it, my thoughts on her completely changed-she's actually a great person. I also felt like she was talking to me, like we were best friends. I couldn't put it down. Great article :)

Yes, she really seems to have her head screwed on straight :) The media just likes to find the worst in people and glorify things that aren't true. Thanks for reading my article!

princez_♥... said...
Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:49 am
i really do ♥love♥ miley cyrus she rocks..i really dont forget to buy her cd's tnx miley ur the best and u inspire me a lot.. keep up the good work looove yah!...good luck..! muahh x.o.x.o.

paulalovesmiley#1 said...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 6:49 am
i really love miley ever since especially when she do this book,,

Hannahnanna said...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 1:23 am
I love Miley Cyrus, and i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. I will have to go get this book now. Thank you.

Thanks for the comment!! Miley's awesome :] Are you so excited for The Last Song movie to come out? It looks awesome!

shabam34 replied...
I luv your piece. I know I already said that lol but its really good. Its on my christmas list and my parents probaly already bought it lol. I will tell u what i think. Hey do u think u can read some of my writing and tell me what u think. i hav NO comments on most of my pieces :( im really curious as to what ppl think :)

AWW, thank you so much!! Sure, I'd be happy to read your stuff too! I'll go check it out now :]

cbear said...
any one could easily make themselves look good by publishing a book about themselves...including miley cyrus

Andrnick replied...
I agree with you because miley is a hard headed and wants only money lady because she sings and writes a book and actor.
Co lavur! Heya kelba! GRRR..