The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:33 am
I think that this book is amazing. It was disturbing, but I disagree that it was a waste of time. It was deep and a warning to our society. i like the fact that the book was cryptically written, becasue Lois Lowry leaves it up to the reader to figure things out. It isn't too hard as long as you are attentive through the whole thing. The only part I was frustrated with is the ending becasue it leaves it to your own interpertation.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
I agree that it was a warning. It shows how it would be if everyone was perfectly equal and there was no creativity. It was written beautifully and made everyone in my class think.

Olderatheart said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:20 am
I disagree completley
this book was deep and although crypticly wriitten, was great.

Suavell N. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:16 am
this was the best book i ever read great writing great plot all around great book

logo24 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 6:20 am
they are making a movie for this soon. I didn't like this book either and I thought it was almost disturbing. I too had to read it for school.

Butterfly12 replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 7:53 am

If you thought this book was disturbing, then you might as well stop reading books altogether as you'll never be able to handle other books that are far more disturbing than this, which is not disturbing.

The book is just too sophisticated for you.

zoomboomfly said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:23 am
I really liked this book. I didn't like the ending, but the rest of the book was really well written and captivating

XenonG replied...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 5:59 am
yeah, the ending made no sense what-so-ever.

juicyfan6 said...
I read this book awhile ago for school. I liked it; it had great movie potential.

hootowl4 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 7:11 am
i thoght the book was great. i liked the ending though it might bother some who want and ending that tells exactly what happens. nice writing though!

adristar96 said...
In a way i disagree with you. I read it and thought it was very decent and well written. But in some parts were confusing. other than that, it was good.

Alyssathenerd:D said...
I have to disagree with this review. In my opinion, I thought the giver was a fairly decent book. Even though some of the book was predictable, I still believe it was great book because of the strong message given off by this book.

nbmssi said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 10:31 am
i loved this book.... it actually made you think just like the rest of her books.

Sara! said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:10 am
I respectfully disagree with this article. I love this book adn have read it many times.

Shelby A. said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 9:42 am
The Giver Has changed the way I see the world. Once you read it you begin to think differently about this world and your community. Its a great read with twist & turns!

AspiringAuthorAnonymous said...
I personally love the giver and have read it three times. Try number the stars, it good too!!!

DeadlyPoppy said...
I totally agree with your review. We read The Giver for English class last year, and it practically put me to sleep. The plot is good, but the book itself doesn't flow properly and it's slightly confusing at times and boring at others.

kagoma replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:55 am
I disagree with you entirely. The book “the giver” is the most breath taking, interesting, unique, and powerful book I have ever read. This book may have been boring to you, but maybe that is because you didn’t understand the true context of the book.

DeadlyPoppy replied...
As far as I could tell, the book was about how even a "perfect society" wouldn't work properly. How what was supposed to be perfect only worked well because they kept secrets from the people and took away their free will. It was a good plot, as I said, and the message was inspiring, but like I said, the writing didn't flow at all. That's just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

kagoma replied...
The reason I found the book “The Giver” so interesting because they described a society with people who were living a seemingly perfect life. The job of the Giver was to take on the burdens of the people within the village. The Giver was the only one who felt pain, happiness, and compassion. In other words he was the only person in the village who really endured feeling. I felt the plot was magnificent and that the book was very well written. However like you have already stated, tha... (more »)