The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Apr. 22 2010 at 8:56 am
PrincessSparkle GOLD, Flint, Michigan

Whoever said Nothings impossible clearly never tried to slam a rotating door.

This Book is amazing. Its the kind that I truely love to crawl in bwed with. Even though Ive read it many times it never gets old to me.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 3:35 pm
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

did you read gathering blue and messenger? (very good)

Olivea said...
on Apr. 20 2010 at 9:01 pm
Olivea, Tottenham, Other

The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind.
--
Francois de la Roche Foucauld

I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy Lois Lowry's writing style. I thought that it was very unique. The ending was a cliffhanger because it is important to draw your own conclusions.

jjjjkkkkll said...
on Apr. 20 2010 at 12:20 pm
I totally disagree with you.This book was a very good book.Altough the ending was confusing I still like this book very greatly!!

dancestar GOLD said...
on Apr. 20 2010 at 12:18 pm
dancestar GOLD, Westford, Massachusetts

BE WHO YOU WANNA BE NOT WHO OTHERS WANNA SEE!!!

Even though The Giver wasn't my favorite book, i thought it was worth my time to read. the plot was different and unique. But i have to admit i was REALLY disappointed with the sequal Gathering Blue and the book after that- Messenger.

on Apr. 18 2010 at 10:06 pm
literatureXlover BRONZE, New Bedford, Massachusetts

"Dont worry about the people in your past. Theres a reason they didnt make it into your future."

i read the book last year and i fell in love with louis lowry .. i think hes/she [iam not sure :x]is a great writer and i do recommend this book and any other books by him/her ..yes it can get confusing and the endings not that great ..but he/she has a great way of writing and his/her books are very good ..in mi opinion.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 9:46 pm
RheaD.Ravenfinger BRONZE, Juneau, Alaska

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

I liked the book but I felt let down at the ending. I didn't get to know whether Jonas helped the people to remember or if he survived and what happened to the baby. The book had a lot of good ideas and was well written but I think the writer ended it too soon.

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 3:40 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Well, I don't think it was dull or a waste of time. It's like learning a thousand morals in one! It was a unique story that made me wonder and question every sentence., like for example, "What and where is elsewhere?" This book in my opinion is very good for developing minds that wonder what the world really is. That's just my opinion!

on Apr. 12 2010 at 9:40 am
Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida

I hardly remember this book but I do remember sitting on my bed after being WOW. I love this book and it is very interesting idea...

on Apr. 8 2010 at 8:03 pm
shelterisland GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey

-Biting's excellent. It's like kissing only there's a winner."-Doctor Who, The Tardis

haha sorry that was supposed to be a reply to someone else's comment

on Apr. 8 2010 at 8:03 pm

ikr, i really liked it!

on Apr. 8 2010 at 7:22 pm
maritina BRONZE, San Juan, Other

In life you never know what's gonna happen next...whether it's good or bad, for the worst or for the best. Either way you just have to take a chance and hope it's for the best...

I neither agree nor dissagree. I will admit that it is not my favorite book in the entire world, but it was a good read for a rainy day.I did not dislike it because it was a bad book, but because it didn't interest me very much at the time. I think it was very well written though and it is very eye opening to events that coud easiy happen if society keeps insisting absolute equality in every single aspect of people's lives.

PurpleRain said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 6:29 pm

I really enjoyed this book! The ending wasn't exactly satifying but for the most part it was extremely interesting.

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 4:08 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Hey wait a minute. If you don't like this book, then why did you read it? :|

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 4:06 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Yeah, I agree. We are reading this book at school. It's kinda disguisting when it's talking about "stirrings" but I still love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.Kriva SILVER said...
on Apr. 5 2010 at 5:46 pm
S.Kriva SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

Live laugh love

i totally agree with your comment it is really true even though I have read it once it is one of the best books I have ever read

S.Kriva SILVER said...
on Apr. 5 2010 at 5:37 pm
S.Kriva SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

Live laugh love

Well I am sorry but I totally disagree with this review. I read it for a book club and I LOVED it.  Lois Lowery is an awesome author. I really enjoyed her writing style.

on Apr. 2 2010 at 3:48 pm
WiseGirl BRONZE, Adams, Tennessee

"I think, therefore I am."
-Rene Decartes

I happen to LOVE The Giver. I have read both of the companion novels.

on Mar. 31 2010 at 2:17 pm
tennisplayergirl GOLD, Arrington, Virginia

"He who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

This is my all time favorite book! I couldn't possibly understand why something wouldn't like it! I love how Lois Lowry makes up her own futuristic world. It's so cool!

on Mar. 27 2010 at 2:23 pm
Natalie4ya GOLD, Laredo, Texas

"To each his own" "Love is being stupid together"

From reading your...review..I became very upset. I have read The Giver multiple times and my mother teaches it at her skoool. The Giver is one of my all time favorite books, its the complete oposite of everything you called it and how dare you regret reading it. Do not blame the novel or the author if your not bright enough to trully understand the novels contents.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!