The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Felicity15 said...
I actually liked the giver, but yes, i didn't like the unanswered questions. Great review though. Well written and had lots of good points

nextJKRowling BRONZE, Shorewood, Wisconsin

Yesterdays history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present

U r kidding! this is one of my absolute FAVORITE books. The symbolism is absoulutely tounching

Sacrifice018 SILVER, Griffin, Georgia
This book was very interseing to me in the beginnin.. But, when I found out what they did to thoes poor babies thats when I started to hate it... And I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for school. Although I don't like the book I am still glad I read it. In a way it taught me something but, I'm not really sure what that something is..

boredtodeath said...
true, true.

on Sep. 15 2010 at 2:44 am
i was in nglish at skool and we had to get this book and read it i did nnot like it too much becausee it is boring and not interisting

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

I completely agree with Dyl. First of all, it should be said that The Giver never claims to be a classic, nor a book that will appeal to all ages and make you think. It is aimed at the 12-ish audience, and for that, it is incredible. It forces children to question society when they are on the brink of being intelectually capable of doing so. The themes are well thought-out, the characters are fairly deep and there is some beautiful language. So I would say that it is not The Giver's problem but yours that you don't understand itproblem for not understanding it.

Aidyl BRONZE said...
Aidyl BRONZE, Oshawa, Other

"If you want a friend be a friend."

-Poster

"That's cool. Hey you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed!"
-Dwight Schrute The Office

Wow, this was a harsh review. I've talked to a few people who's opinions I value greatly and they've all said it was a good book. I know it's all personal choice, but I don't understand why you don't like it. Being confused by a book may not always be the fault of the author. Certain pieces of literature are not shall we say, "easy reads" but that doesn't make them bad. Ever tried reading Sense and Sensibility? It had the most confusing beginning I'd ever read, but it was still a really good book, and it's a classic. I don't think you really supported your argument enough to convince me it isn't a good book.

artist22 SILVER, Cranford, New Jersey
I always thought The Giver was a great book. It made sense in every aspect as it clearly unveiled a dystopian society that lacked many things we consider emotional necessities in our world. I really enjoyed the ending as well. Obviously you didn't like the book, but can you back up your argument with some real reasons? Saying how much you hated it without evidence from the literature is not a good critique. When I was reading your last paragraph especially, I was thinking Why? with every statement. Also, it's ok to give away information about the book when you are criticizing it.

hannahbanana said...
I love this book! The series was very good! When I read the 2nd one it made no sense and had no connections, but the third one tied them together so nicely, it was a jaw dropper. <3

fittness said...
e can you say that!? The Giver is one if my fav books!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

I liked the book, although I didn't find it amazing. However the ending left me feeling very confused. If anyone understood could they please explain?

Saadi said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 8:37 am
Saadi, Karachi, Other
what i think,that what "the article writer"says,its totally relavent because it just depends on the taste of an individual,he must have found it boring but many others found it interesting and i would like to appreciate writer on mentioning the point that you can't judge a book from its cover page,nice work bro

on Sep. 9 2010 at 6:53 am
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

I completely and totally disagree- this book was absolutely amazing! Though it's not as fast-paced and full of suspense as more recent teen novels, the message is absolutely, undeniably true and inspiring. 

Lilies BRONZE said...
Lilies BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

"Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus."
- Susan Longacre

I applaud you for your well written review.However,I think you couldnt have been more wrong.The symbolism in this book was spectacular.I don't doubt that it could become a classic.

HOPEfully SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

My Cinderella. She is real. She exists. I pray for her constantly. May God satisfy the desires of her heart, draw her close, consume her. May He claim her passions, her identity, her refuge, her hopes, her strengths and weaknesses -Adam Young

as i read this review my eyes bugged out of my head. you are crazy but I respect your opinion, thanks for sharing.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I read this in sixth grade and I didn't get it t first, but it gives a good message, I think. These people are in pursuit of perfection in society, but in depriving people of feelings, sensory, freedom of expression, and variety. Even if it eliminates all of the bad things that go along with those things like prejudice, unfairness, misery, and disappointment, it's not worth the love and wisdom and everything else that would go down with them. The writing was a bit dull at times, but it was a great idea for a story.

jojowa said...
No way! You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, but I LOVE this book! I felt a little dissatisfied at the end of it, but it's supposed to leave you pretty unsettled, it's not a "happily ever after" story. Try reading the other two books in the "trilogy" (Finding Blue and The Messenger), the whole thing makes a lot more sense when it is all put together. These books are fantastic for teens because they require a little brainwork, unlike most YA fiction. I <3!

scarletP SILVER, East Lansing, Michigan

"A smart girl listens but doesn't believe, kisses but doesn't love and leaves before she is left."
-- Marilyn Monroe

I completely and totally disagree...I read this book and to some extent was confused, but that's what was so beautiful about it, it challanged me to dig deeper into what the author was trying to say. Maybe, you should go and reread the book and try and challange yourself to understand it a little bit more, at least perhaps you may gain some sort of respect for the authors talent to create a place completely detached from love.

Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
agreed! My teacher said that she read it over 14 times and every time she gets a different perspective

Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

I do not agree! I read the book in elemantary school, and I loved it then (I still love it) The whole idea of the book is amazing, people giving up painful memories, feelings, colors to remain naive. It is just one of those books that when you finish it, you have to sit and think.

Review well written!