The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

readaholic said...
on Mar. 23 2010 at 7:27 pm
The messenger and gathering blue are the type of books called companions. They aren't sequels but are related to the story in some way. And about the review above: i personally LOVED the book and disagree with the reviewer. I read it in 6th grade by choice and i think it's interesting and makes you think. It really depends what type of books you like to read.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 8:30 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

I agree that it was a warning. It shows how it would be if everyone was perfectly equal and there was no creativity. It was written beautifully and made everyone in my class think.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 7:16 pm
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

in a way, yes, they are sequels. but also, in a way, they're not. you have to read the giver then gathering blue then messenger. the information is continued and expanded.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 7:13 pm

i must disagree. i loved this book. it was thought provoking and offered insight into a world that could be true if we try to make everyone the same. jonas, the heroine, shows important moral virtues. moral of the story: the world isn't what you think it is. another moral: listen to your morals and what you believe is right. but i'm glad you made an effort to finish it to make a well-backed opinion.

nora said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 6:03 pm
That's part of the point of the book. The parallels to this extreme society and ours are supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. She wants you to think about those things, about brainwashing and governments who don't confide in their people and euthanasia. They are things that are hard to talk about, she's saying that not talking about them could lead to this sort of society.

heeeheee34 said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 11:58 am
srry i tested this website and i made an error, this book is actually decent and suspending

heeeheee34 said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 11:56 am
This book sucks.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:58 am
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

okay, whatever. Talk about the book. Is it really that important if they're not REAL sequels. His story continues, I was just pointing that out. Talk about the book.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:55 am
Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
i felt the same way. I also read it in English class in 7th grade and loved the book i just really wish there was a better ending Gathering Blue and The Messanger are not an ending.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:54 am
Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
They are not sequels. Jonas' story continues but all the characters are changed and only a little part talks about Jonas. The rest of the books have nothing to do with them. Lois Lowry wrote 3 different books and conveniently joined them together but it is not a sequel.

on Mar. 14 2010 at 9:45 pm
horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon

"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson

Thank you to everybody who agrees with me in saying that this is a very good book. Please do not let all of the negative comments discourage you from reading this book. It is an excellent book if you like this type of writing. Although, some people might not like this book, but that is fine with me. Not everybody likes every book and every type of book.

on Mar. 14 2010 at 9:42 pm
horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon

The Messenger and Gathering Blue are sort of sequels.

on Mar. 13 2010 at 3:16 pm
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the matter-of-fact tone that Lois Lowry maintains throughout the begining of the story. Nobody in the community knows that so many things are wrong, and the reader is left to notice it themselves without it being announced to them. I think that this story was cleverly written, and that the reading level is lower than the maturity it takes to fully understand and accept the true purpose and message of this book.

Darley SILVER said...
on Feb. 27 2010 at 7:20 pm
Darley SILVER, Meadow Vista, California

" What matters most is how you see yourself."

I love this Book!!!!! I read it in the seventh grade. I totally recomend it. The Giver isa different kind of book that is what makes it cool

on Feb. 24 2010 at 5:59 am
xenon333 PLATINUM, Billerica, Massachusetts
yeah, the ending made no sense what-so-ever.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:56 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

They are not normal sequels, but Jonas's story continues in them.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:40 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
The messenger and gathering blue are NOT sequals they are only books by the same author

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:13 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!

on Feb. 23 2010 at 9:36 pm
love.lauren GOLD, Eagle Lake, Minnesota

"That's Sweeto!"-my friend, Shelby

I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.

Duckie430 said...
on Feb. 23 2010 at 7:40 pm
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

the giver isn't a bad book; actually, it makes you really think, unlike alot of other books

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!