The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

DeadlyPoppy said...
I totally agree with your review. We read The Giver for English class last year, and it practically put me to sleep. The plot is good, but the book itself doesn't flow properly and it's slightly confusing at times and boring at others.

kagoma replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:55 am
I disagree with you entirely. The book “the giver” is the most breath taking, interesting, unique, and powerful book I have ever read. This book may have been boring to you, but maybe that is because you didn’t understand the true context of the book.

DeadlyPoppy replied...
As far as I could tell, the book was about how even a "perfect society" wouldn't work properly. How what was supposed to be perfect only worked well because they kept secrets from the people and took away their free will. It was a good plot, as I said, and the message was inspiring, but like I said, the writing didn't flow at all. That's just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

kagoma replied...
The reason I found the book “The Giver” so interesting because they described a society with people who were living a seemingly perfect life. The job of the Giver was to take on the burdens of the people within the village. The Giver was the only one who felt pain, happiness, and compassion. In other words he was the only person in the village who really endured feeling. I felt the plot was magnificent and that the book was very well written. However like you have already stated, tha... (more »)

XenonG said...
You could maybe try reading it again-but slower-to grasp the full effect of Lois Lowry's outtake on the future. The Giver is certainly a novel with many perspectives.

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your review is well organized and written fairly fluently, but I have to strongly disagree with your opinion of this book. "The Giver" is a book that needs to be read more than once to be completely understood. I found the "disappointing" ending more like a hopeful one, and the book overall as incredibly powerful. Try reading it again. :)

Sara! replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:11 am
I completely agree with you.

Josefina said...
I agree with this, sort of. The book did have interesting part, but it was slightly slow and not enough plot, but if you have disscussions, like I did in 7th grade. There were so many different opinions, and if you really listened, you could get more out of.

nadeszhdahope said...
I love The Giver but to fully understand it you need to read the next three, Gathering Blue and The Messenger (in that order.) It also helps if you try to look for parallels in society. I love Lois Lowry. :)

stargirl237 said...
This was a pretty good book until the reader finds out about the truth of the society in the end. Then I don't like it any more with the elements of release, absence of fellings and color, and the complete brainwashing type of style come in.

nora replied...
That's part of the point of the book. The parallels to this extreme society and ours are supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. She wants you to think about those things, about brainwashing and governments who don't confide in their people and euthanasia. They are things that are hard to talk about, she's saying that not talking about them could lead to this sort of society.

Asia&Jimetta said...
I love this book=))**

jmc.13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:27 am
I read and loved "The Giver". It was an interesting satire of communism, and if you couldn't get that then it's your own fault. This book is amazing and Lois Lowry is a superb author.

bandicootii replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 10:22 am
I agree. I love this book! I know there are a lot of people who hate it, but I don't see why!

PurpleMidnight said...
Nov. 28, 2009 at 9:32 am
Wow. It seems that there are so few people left that can actually look past the literal meaning of words on the page. The vague sense of all her books it what keeps you in the book. Come one people, look deeper than the words on the page!

Sara! replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:12 am
Yep, I agree with you

Naina said...
im sorry but honestly would someone like to tell me how you all get this book... i got so lost i couldnt finish it

KnowItAll said...
Nov. 24, 2009 at 11:13 am
Although it was a well written review, so was The Giver. I personally disagree with your oppinion. The giver was a bit predictable, but all around a great book.

mrsabbyjonas13 said...
Very nice format to your review! But, I have to disagree. 'The Giver' is actually one of my very favorite books! I thought the vagueness of it was really beautiful, actually. The ending DID leave me hanging, though, which I wasn't a huge fan of. But I haven't read 'Gathering Blue' or 'The Messenger' yet, so I guess I shouldn't judge the ending quite yet. However, I respect your opinion and your writing style is really good! :)

book_itt752 said...
I absolutely 100% disagree. I love The Giver and im sorry it wasnt enjoyable for you. but i love how i can draw my own conclusions, eventhough my favorite parts of book are the ending. Lois Lowry did a great jod. Thanks to my 8th grade teacher for making me read it !

Kavishg This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well, the whole point of the giver was not the content itself, but the message it gave. The society he lived in was communist to the most extreme. You couldn't see color, there were no hills, nobody could be different, nothing bad nor good happened. There was no LOVE!!!! If you think that this book was dull, you missed the point of it.