The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Rachel I. said...
Sept. 2, 2009 at 12:58 am:
No disrespect to you or this review, but I completely disagree with your opinion of The Giver. I read this book in 6th grade, and to this day it remains one of my favorites. I was fascinated with the idea of a utopian society in which people were unable to make decisions for themselves, and I was also slightly disturbed by the limitations of this lifestyle. I think that Lois Lowry succeeded completely in capturing the essence of what such a lifestyle would be like, and I'm sorry that you fail... (more »)

MiRawr replied...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm :
I had the exact same response when I read The Giver. I was so interested in this society that the writer painted a picture of so well, and it actually helped me think of a lot of story ideas that revolved around utopia and futuristic plots. I consider The Giver to be one of my favorites.

dancedreamer101 said...
I had to read this for 8th grade englsih a while back. I actually kinda liked it. I liked it very much. Very different from most novels I've read.

Leyra said...
I think your review was well written but I have to completely disagree with you. That book was rather confusing but once you got to the end you got it all, even though the ending of it was rather, how do you say dumb and stupid, but the rest of the book was good and it didn't seem predictable. I think you are completely wrong about that book. I thought it was going to be bad but after I read it I loved it. It was good and well written. You're judging a book by its contents and thats even worse t... (more »)

AmnyR said...
i disagree 10000000%, this is an amazing book. yes, you need to look a little deeper, and think along different lines than normal, but it is a meaningful book, not an adventure story. try it again, i've been reading it every year since it came out and i love it more every time.

MyChey5 said...
Jul. 17, 2009 at 2:54 am:
i love this article!! it showed the EXACT same way i feel about the book!!! Lios Lowery must have been insane when she wrote this bcuz other books by her are amazing!!1 This book was confusing and too complex Love your article!!!! Great review!!!

Heather S. said...
Jul. 4, 2009 at 3:11 am:
I read this book in 8th grade and loved it. It's the perfect example of how a world with the title of 'utopia' always fails. I loved how you don't even realize that everyone cannot see colors and how one person can hold everything, in order for everyone to live perfectly. And personally, if it wasn't a great book, than why did it get awarded with the Newberry Medal? I think the writer of this article needs to open their imagination more in order to enjoy this book.

Blcky588 said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm:
I found that this book was interesting and my English 9CP teacher has been having her freshman read it every year to begin the year off. However there are a lot of people who may not like the book most of those people haven't even given it the benefit of the doubt.

melodylake18 said...
Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:20 am:
I loved this book. It led you into the world of a completely different society. I read the whole series (there are two more that correspond to it).

hootowl4 replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 7:12 am :
me too! but i thought the giver was best

greykittycat3 said...
i read the book and liked it. i could make up my own ending. not the best review.

tori104 said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm:
this rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldfish682 said...
Mar. 25, 2009 at 11:56 pm:
I love The Giver! I agree that it might not go under the 'fine literature' category, but I do think it was very enjoyable. I thought it had something interesting to say. That's me, though.

errrr said...
Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:51 am:
First of all whoever wrote that the Giver was dull and uninteresting is a SNOB. Let's see them try to write something better and if it were a poorly written book, why'd everyone read it? It is extremely infamous and is a chilling story, the 'sameness' created between them is so great, they are all colorblind.

Isaac C. said...
Mar. 2, 2009 at 9:13 pm:
i hated this book. i was so angry at my teacher for making me read it.
i felt like it was the biggest waste of time in my life.

gabbygurl18 said...
Feb. 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm:
I LOVED this book. I thought it was a good way to show great literature at work. You hsve to have a good imagination to understand the book though.

teensytoes said...
Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:15 am:
i dissagree. people can have their own oppinions so i;m not going to complain. i really liked this book and thought it was vary interesting. you gave away the ending though. you don't find out that releas is bad untill the END of the book. i really liked it. thats all i'm going to say

vballchick said...
Dec. 11, 2008 at 12:07 am:
Your article is good, but I have a different opinion. I read the Giver a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Yes, it is often hard to understand and a little slow, but I think overall, the book is very good. It isn't one of those can't-put-it-down novels, but it is one of the best assigned books I have read.

zaaniyah said...
Nov. 29, 2008 at 11:38 am:
Wow, thank you for your review, but I disagree with it. I'm sorry that you did not enjoyed it because it really was enjoyable for me. The giver was not what I expected either, but we may want to keep in mind to try to read books without any expectations and an open mind. thanks again

BeatleMania said...
It's neat to see so many sides of the readers of this book. Few that I know that have read The Giver didn't either love it or hate it. I think the people that see the need in society for change, as well as the fear of what change can bring, are the people most guaranteed to enjoy this story of hidden secrets, while those that see the world through an "It is what it is" standpoint will not find the true meaning of a story meant to be so thought-provoking.